News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Emerald Dragon now playable in English  (Read 39832 times)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Emerald Dragon now playable in English
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 04:00:48 am »
http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/emerald-dragon-v1-0-translation-89135.html

Famous +1

(not a big site, it was still odd running into it while not on RHDN)
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 07:38:24 am »
Geez, this game has a lot of death in it.

In any case, one *tiny* issue you might want to fix real quick in your files. Nothing worth releasing a new version over, certainly, but... I've gotten as far as Harerud, and one of the weapons for sale there is an "Albarest" - it ought to be "Arbalest" which is a kind of crossbow (and perfectly fitting, as it's a weapon for Saoshyant.)

By the way, "Arbarest" sounds exactly the same as "arbalète'' in French, which means crossbow.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 08:51:14 am »
Special T:

Yes, Dave is still working on the project, though he has mentioned his translator disappeared for a long time now and not much has been done recently. I'm sure he can tell you more if he sees this post. As far as my involvement, it's mainly been just exchanging information (technical and otherwise) on similar matters between both ports. The PCE-CD project is entirely Dave's otherwise in case that wasn't clear.

Panzer88:

That's nice to see. Thanks. Now I only wish there were less potential (still investigating what's emulator vs. non emulator issues) as it's rather embarrassing to be famous for something flawed!

I've gotten reports from some people who played the entire game start to finish with no issues, other people had some big ones, and some only had one or two. I'm trying to get the bottom of what's been occurring.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 12:15:25 am »
I finished it with no issues other than the one I mentioned. Played on SNES9X 1.42 (specifically, xsnes9x.)

Oh, and one other thing. "Kobalt?" Come on! I thought we were through with poorly-romanized kobolds with Lufia 2 ;)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 11:21:49 am »
I know I'm a bit late to say so, but great job, NC and Eien!

I love the font you used, and the translation is top notch. The gameplay itself, though unrelated to the hack, is also great. ^_^

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Darkdata

• People who hurt others to feel better are idiots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 08:27:16 pm »
Specifically the 'NO BG3 FREE' errors some of you get occur when there is no available free VRAM.  This will only occur for some of you under some conditions. The engine is constantly sticking things in different VRAM locations each time the game code runs, so it's not consistent. That makes it a pain to see the bug and figure out what occurred and why.

I've been able to get that lovely bug just by runny away a lot, eventually hitting the button that calls up the battle menu will cause a layer to bug, then while viewing certain "tools" (like the scale) it gives that error. I just worked around it by saving, reseting and loading. (Clears the VRAM?)

Oh, small text bug. (The only one I found too.) When you are talking to Husulnum (The old guy in the house on the mountain who keeps runny away when you ask questions) and you select to keep the ring, the 2 choice box messes up.

This one does not really count -- but, if you have debug mode on, and you run, it appears that there is untranslated/bugged text for the two choices, (run / win).

Really nice job, I liked it, it was fun to play though. (How did you not go insane working on this? heh.) 

Edit: Am I the only one suprised that there was such a simple command to access the debug menu?
<Spoiler>Start + L + R</spoiler>

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:17 pm »
Actually, it seems there's four choices in Japanese (normal command, instant win, instant lose, instant escape)
(or at least it seemed that way in the intro scene of the Japanese game, where Atrushan is in dragon form and you can't normally escape)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2008, 09:26:51 am »
Darkdata:

Were you playing in ZSNES? Thus far that is the only emulator this 'problem' has been reported in. I have not been able to make this occur on any other emulator or the real hardware. Consequently, that means nothing with a debugger either. If somebody confirms this occurs on BSNES, the real hardware or something else, I might do some more digging.

The Husulnum bug has been noted already and will be fixed.

As for the debug stuff. Right now, it's completely unsupported because 1.) Debug features are only partially functional 2.) They allow you to do things not possible in normal play such as exceed level 100 which causes all sorts of issues and potential crashes.  So, not too interested in supporting anything in the debugger, but perhaps I might translate a few lines if they required no additional work other than replacing the text and are easy to find. Maybe a few truncated messages or something.

You guys have to realize the original game reported '11680' experience remaining each time you leveled up. The reason it says '0' now is because I fixed it. The math results on level up were never even checked. It's quite obvious this game went through minimum quality control and is buggy without the translation. It's a miracle it works at all.  ;D
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2008, 12:56:05 pm »
just out of SHEER curiosity, are those things just part of Emerald Dragon as it was developed as a whole, or only the SNES port.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2008, 01:50:34 pm »
just out of SHEER curiosity, are those things just part of Emerald Dragon as it was developed as a whole, or only the SNES port.

Probably just a rushed SNES port. Though, I don't remember what the other ports I've played showed on level up now. Good question. Maybe I'll dig them out if I have some time.

Suffice to say the ports are heavily different from each other, so it's unlikely they have much in common bug wise. It's certainly possible though. At least in the PCE-CD version, from my conversations with Dave, it seems the script is set up the same way using the same control codes where applicable, and same compression algorithm. But they have different (similar, but different) scripts and different code. And in the SNES/PCE-CD case,  from what I read, the SNES port was based on the PCE-CD port and also handled by Media Works and Right Stuff. So, those two would have much more in common than the other ports.

Ok, I'm talking circles now.. I'll shut up.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:01 pm »
Edit: Am I the only one suprised that there was such a simple command to access the debug menu?
Spoiler:
Start + L + R
Fix'ed. Don't the actual spoiler tags exist for a reason?

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Darkdata

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 02:12:21 pm »
Darkdata:

Were you playing in ZSNES? Thus far that is the only emulator this 'problem' has been reported in. I have not been able to make this occur on any other emulator or the real hardware. Consequently, that means nothing with a debugger either. If somebody confirms this occurs on BSNES, the real hardware or something else, I might do some more digging.

Snes9x - The Tool Assisted Speed Run Community's movie version.

@Lenophis: Lazy. :P

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 03:37:20 pm »
thanks nightcrawler, I forgot how many versions there were.

http://emedra.lakuuna.org/ports.html

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 06:55:20 pm »
Darkdata:

Save game? (savestate and SRAM) If I could get that to work on Geiger's SNES9x debugger and get it to happen, then we might be in business.

Darkdata

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 09:16:44 pm »
Darkdata:

Save game? (savestate and SRAM) If I could get that to work on Geiger's SNES9x debugger and get it to happen, then we might be in business.

I should have one for you tomorrow, one with the battle glitch in effect, and one before, if I can rig it.

Claudius

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 11:26:16 pm »
I just finished playing the game; it was different in a good way.  The battle system reminds me a little of Ultima 3 and 4.  But this isn't a review thread for the game so congratulations on finishing and thanks for your excellent work. ^^

But as long as people are mentioning small issues, I do believe at a certain point near the end the spelling "disentigrating" is used, but should be "disintegrating".

I played through it from start to finish without any bugs though, hooray. =)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
And this is what makes my job difficult. I've got plenty of people who have played start to finish without any issues at all including myself (other than the few script bugs/typos/choice box of course). Then, I've got people who have issues. Answering the question of is there really patch issues or not is becoming a difficult one.

The only thing I've been able to find out so far with ZSNES is things are written to the wrong VRAM location, causing data to spill into areas it's not supposed to and/or generating a 'NO BG3 FREE' error when/if the game actually checks for it. It also appears that resetting the game and loading from your save game will fix it. Exactly why it writes to the wrong place is a mystery to me yet. I haven't been able to get it to occur on anything I can debug with to see what happens.

To date nobody has had any of the non script issues on BSNES or the real hardware, so I still lean toward emulation issue. However, I'd still like to get to the bottom of exactly what occurs and why. I'll keep looking.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:57 am »
I guess the question is do these bugs happen in ZSNES with the original game? If so then I wouldn't worry about it.

poliver

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2008, 12:25:04 pm »
what's the best emulator to play this in? i have snes9x but the game in it is laggy and sound is choppy.  :banghead:  :'(

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2008, 12:53:23 pm »
If you have a nice PC then use BSNES.