News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Emerald Dragon now playable in English  (Read 39821 times)

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Re: Translations: Emerald Dragon now playable in English
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 11:10:41 pm »
Nice work and congrats. Kick ass intro and music.

The game froze for me in snes9x 1.51. Right after the girl gets named in the beginning. I'm sure it's just an emu bug though.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 11:17:08 pm »
also kudos to Eien Ni Hen for another wild success. I am a big fan of your work, so congrats.

Oh, wow.  I actually have a fan.  *blushes*

The game froze for me in snes9x 1.51. Right after the girl gets named in the beginning. I'm sure it's just an emu bug though.

That's interesting, because I played through the whole game using snex9x 1.39a with no problems.  Maybe it's just an issue with the version you're using?
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

aquaticneko

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 11:53:25 pm »
hey nice! thanks for all your hard work. Ive been waiting for it a while.

Sorry of I cant report problems here. but the game froze for me on zsnes on the ovingston cave. can anyone help? I very much want to complete the game.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 12:20:13 am »
IIRC, snes9x 1.51 was the emu that just hated this game, and would crash constantly (even playing the Japanese ROM).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: EMORALDO DORAGON!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 04:00:15 am »
Technically it's "Emerarudo Doragon", but radda radda radda. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 07:56:57 am »
Congrats on  the release I'll have to check it out. Thanks for all your hard work!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 09:52:10 am »
Thanks to the praises. Much appreciated.  :)

DaMarsMan:

Yeah, there may be a problem with SNES9x 1.51.  I didn't personally use 1.51.  I have used Geiger's 1.43 version  to play through most of the game and don't remember any issues there. I can tell you this though; it has been fully tested on BSNES and the real hardware, so any crashing bugs are most likely emulator related. However, Emerald Dragon's engine is very dynamic, so every time you are playing, things are not always in the same RAM/VRAM locations, so a legit crash may be possible even after successful testing. There were some bugs in beta testing that I could not reproduce in any way, even WITH the same save a tester had due to the way the game engine works because things are never loaded in the same places. Best way to know is transfer you SRM file or use another version of SNES9x and see if it still crashes. If it does let me know and I'll look into it.

KingMike reports the Japanese ROM doesn't play right on 1.51, so I'd bet my lunch your case is most likely emulator issue.

aquaticneko:

Same basic response as DaMarsMan really. What emulator are you using?  I'd also suggest you try another emulator, preferably BSNES. If you get this crash to happen in BSNES, let me know and I'll see about investigating.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

GenocideHeart

• The Solitary Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »
Reporting what seems to be a small bug. In the northern fortress near the beginning (Zahm), when you enter and watch the cutscene of the soldiers getting pwned, sometimes the three demon soldiers in your way DON'T disappear after you beat them in the ground.

It doesn't seem to influence gameplay in any way, though - they disappeared regularly after I triggered the encounter a second time, and I got the dungeon key without problems.

This bug happened in ZSNES, latest version.

Hope this helps.
"The Scorching Flames shall envelop evil. Pay for your sins with death! Lost Seraph!"
--Grim Angel Ledah, Riviera: the Promised Land

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 03:11:42 pm »
Congrats guys, as always you rock, and when I get a moment or two, I will sit down and play through.

Congrats again on all your hard work, and dedication!
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 03:19:06 pm »
Without an image, or a savestate/srm, I'm going to have to say you had better try another emulator(or the original Japanese version) or I can't take your report seriously nor test it myself to see even if I wanted to.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 04:23:12 pm »
Geez, this game has a lot of death in it.

In any case, one *tiny* issue you might want to fix real quick in your files. Nothing worth releasing a new version over, certainly, but... I've gotten as far as Harerud, and one of the weapons for sale there is an "Albarest" - it ought to be "Arbalest" which is a kind of crossbow (and perfectly fitting, as it's a weapon for Saoshyant.)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 06:58:51 pm »
Yeah. Plenty of death in the game, that's for sure. And actually, the SNES port is toned down a bit as opposed to the original as far as on screen violence.

Thanks, I've filed a report in the tracker to be fixed later for a follow-up. It seems there will definitely be a follow-up patch as a few minor script issues have been discovered it seems. I'll probably wait a few weeks though and give enough time for any other potential issues to come out from behind the furniture. :)

Still no confirmation on any crashing bugs though. It seems they are all emulator related.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 07:43:25 pm »
I'm using Zsnes v1.50 and so far theres no prollems for me. I might as well miss watching Family Guy on TBS to keep playing this game, I haven't played SNES games in a bit either. Nice job with this translation though...  :beer: :cookie:

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »
How does it feel to complete this huge project after all these years Nightcrawler?

This is awesome.

EDIT:  Whoa...!  Did you guys realize that if you press start you can turn the random battles off???
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:17:42 am by realworksuks »
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

GenocideHeart

• The Solitary Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 03:23:31 am »
Without an image, or a savestate/srm, I'm going to have to say you had better try another emulator(or the original Japanese version) or I can't take your report seriously nor test it myself to see even if I wanted to.

I will try and replay that part to get a screenshot or savestate for you, then.

Meanwhile, I found another couple of bugs - one in the first Killosseum and one in the cave under the Forest temple. Both freeze the game, so those I am definitely going to get screenshots and states of.

Is there any particular point you want me to take the savestate at? With the bug activated, before it, whatever?
"The Scorching Flames shall envelop evil. Pay for your sins with death! Lost Seraph!"

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 08:38:12 am »
Always before the bug. Ideally, I need to be able to see it occur so I can see what code is executed and what's going on while it happens. It also allows me to test changes to see if they fix it. ;)

It seems the dynamic game engine is being a real problem. There's been several reports of things that happen for some people and not for others and several reports of things I know I've personally played through more than once that were fine for me. I'm afraid this might start to get ugly. Specifically the 'NO BG3 FREE' errors some of you get occur when there is no available free VRAM.  This will only occur for some of you under some conditions. The engine is constantly sticking things in different VRAM locations each time the game code runs, so it's not consistent. That makes it a pain to see the bug and figure out what occurred and why.

Savegames (SRAM is always preferred here) are 100% necessary for me to to fix any of this because I won't even be able to see the bug otherwise as they didn't occur for me on my play through.

GenocideHeart

• The Solitary Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 09:29:48 am »
Specifically the 'NO BG3 FREE' errors some of you get occur when there is no available free VRAM.  This will only occur for some of you under some conditions.

Well, since this has been reported already, there no longer is need for me to tell you about it.  ;D That's the exact same error message I got when checking the Killosseum.

I'm going to start a replay later and get a savestate and screenshot for the Zham Fortress bug. I should also try it on another emulator, but my Vista doesn't like bsnes... oh well, time to get SNES9x.

I'm fairly late in the game, so I no longer have access to that one by now, but I plan to replay the game and take note of any bugs I see. If anything else comes up, I'll be sure to make a savestate and take a screenshot for you. I'll get back to you whenever I have something new for you.

That said, you did an awesome job with this, as always.  :thumbsup:

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 03:25:38 pm »
also kudos to Eien Ni Hen for another wild success. I am a big fan of your work, so congrats.

Oh, wow.  I actually have a fan.  *blushes*

ha ha ha, I just think it's nice to give translators credit for their work too.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 04:50:31 pm »
^^^

Oh, I like him.  ;D

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 12:38:41 am »
In the read me you wrote
In February of 2004, some collaboration with David Shadoff whom was
working on the PCE-CD port, sparked some new motivation to pull the
project off the backburner.

Is that port still being actively worked on?