News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Namco X Capcom Betatesting Phase Starts!  (Read 13951 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Namco X Capcom Betatesting Phase Starts!
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:16:36 pm »

Update By: saito

Hi, for those that did not know about it, we are doing a full translation for Namco X Capcom.

The translation percentage it's nearly 100%, so right now, we are in need of some feedback in order to fix some annoying glitches within the game.

Because of that, we are holding an application thread in our forums, so if you want to apply to be a betatester, please, click here.

We will pick as many people as we may need. 4 or 5 should be a good number of extra-betatesters to ensure a good clean up of the glitches and errors.

The application's thread will be closed February the 7th.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Relevant Link: (http://transgen.awardspace.com/)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:55:31 am by Nightcrawler »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Translations: Namco X Capcom Betatesting Phase Starts!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »
I hope this runs well on HDLoader. Since it's the only method I've got to play backups and/or imports with PS2.

Rudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:29:32 pm »
awesome, i was sad to see it wasn't getting a US release... and I didn't think it would get a translation so soon woot!!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:57:41 am »
The staff member who approved this news was asleep at the wheel (not me). There were at several occurrences of no spaces after commas and a run on sentence.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:07 am »
For the guys translating it: Run the script by an editor first. He or she will make it look much better.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:17:45 am »
For the guys translating it: Run the script by an editor first. He or she will make it look much better.

If the news post was written by the same guy eh? :laugh:

Would there be anyway to play this on a Slim PS2? I don't think you can hook the HDD up to it.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:35:51 pm »

If the news post was written by the same guy eh? :laugh:

Would there be anyway to play this on a Slim PS2? I don't think you can hook the HDD up to it.
The simplest way is to get a fliptop case mod -- you can do that yourself, it's easy, you're basically just setting it up so you can open it and change the disk without the system detecting it.  Actually, I think they sell little specially-shaped cards you can use to do it now without modifying anything permanently.

Then you'll also need a special disk like Swap Magic to boot in before you swap, and no, you can't burn that yourself.  Using that and whatever method you use to open your PS2 without it detecting it, you can run burned DVDs.

...oh.  Obviously, you'll need a DVD burner, too (or a friend with a DVD burner you can convince to burn it for you), unless Namco X Capcom can fit on a CD.  It's a bit complicated and you'll have to buy a few things, but nothing terribly expensive and no dangerous welding.

The other thing is that this is apparently not good for your PS2's laser; I've heard a lot of people having it wear out or get off-center or whatever.  But they don't last forever anyway...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:28:16 pm by Aquillion »

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:54 am »
There is USB Extreme, a HDLoader-like that runs off an external USB HDD. The compatibility is lower, though, and not everyone has an external USB HDD.

Funnily enough, Swap Magic has a higher compatibility than HDL/HDA. You'll find that it's only more damaging (than normally playing on the laser, which will kill it anyway! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.) when you play burns. Playing imports and such shouldn't be any more damaging than playing your normal games. Since it's reading the (less-easily read) burnt DVDs that wears out the laser faster.

HDL runs NxC fine, though.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 12:31:54 am »
nobody has mentioned Memento yet.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 11:14:39 am »
this might dip slightly into warez category for a bit:
Would it be possible to burn a copy of a swapdisc?

@the USB HDD:
 :woot!: that's good, I've got one.

thanks.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
this might dip slightly into warez category for a bit:
Would it be possible to burn a copy of a swapdisc?

That's an age old question who's answer is a little obvious. >.> No. the swap disc is designed to break the protections that prevent burned copies from working. If the swap disc itself is burned...
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »
There is USB Extreme, a HDLoader-like that runs off an external USB HDD. The compatibility is lower, though, and not everyone has an external USB HDD.

Funnily enough, Swap Magic has a higher compatibility than HDL/HDA. You'll find that it's only more damaging (than normally playing on the laser, which will kill it anyway! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.) when you play burns. Playing imports and such shouldn't be any more damaging than playing your normal games. Since it's reading the (less-easily read) burnt DVDs that wears out the laser faster.

HDL runs NxC fine, though.

Please do tell me how reading a burned disc is any more 'damaging' than reading any other disc. Facts please.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

saito

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »
Sorry, I should have jumped into the thread sooner, first of all, I would like to apologize for the poor post that I did make. I was in a hurry because the engine deleted my text several times because a screenshot size error. My native language isn't English, so if I don't pay the needed attention while I'm writting I can make some nasty mistakes, sorry :/.

About the NXC's compatibility, yes the game is compatible with swap magic, hdloader, modchip and with the latest version of pcsx2.

Namco X Capcom is a dvd based game, so you'll need to make an image outta your original disc, apply the path, and burn it into a blank dvd.

I'm not going to debate if a NxC's backup is going to damage your ps2's lens, but all I can say that this game won't damage your console, usually the consoles get damaged by boot procedures, cd rips, and other nasty things. However, there's some dvd based games that put some serious stress in your lens, I remember some, like the famous Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, and some others.
.: TransGen :.

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »
Please do tell me how reading a burned disc is any more 'damaging' than reading any other disc. Facts please.

http://www.darkplanets.co.uk/la6508/
http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275451

Simply that. I don't have a modded PS2, but I was told that if I did, to get it romeo modded.

Basically, the ps2 pumps more power into the laser every time a read operation fails (which is more likely with a burn since people use dodgy media) until it fries the system. Or something.

Also, logically, the PS2 laser is already fragile; even using legit games will cause it to fail sooner or later. Putting media in it that causes it to work harder will logically cause it to burn out sooner, no?

I wasn't trying to make a dark cloud over this project, just letting people know about some of the things I've heard. Personally I support HDD based solutions all the way, and I've already played NxC, so I'm rather anticipating the eventual release here.

Square711

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 08:41:22 pm »
I have a question. Some time ago I burned a dvd with a patched iso of the game (a pretty basic battle menu translation patch, just so I could play the game without having to learn the menus through trial and error, because I didn't know japanese by that time). But then I sold my original copy of the game to a friend (hell, I wasn't even using it to play anyway) and kept only the patched disc with me.

So what I wanna know is, will the patch work on an already patched iso? Or will I have to find another one? >_>

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 10:13:34 am »
On the news link regarding Namco X Capcom, the link to Transgen's board also links to a Trojan. I believe my AV said it was a JS/Psyme. I wanted to let you guys know cause you are linking to that page and thats where i got it.

Anybody know what this guy is talking about?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 11:15:42 am »
On the news link regarding Namco X Capcom, the link to Transgen's board also links to a Trojan. I believe my AV said it was a JS/Psyme. I wanted to let you guys know cause you are linking to that page and thats where i got it.

Anybody know what this guy is talking about?

No, there aren't even any download links on that board page...
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 04:37:33 pm »
That must be a false positive like this one. At least he/she could tell which antivirus is using...
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

saito

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 06:16:27 pm »
That must be a false positive like this one. At least he/she could tell which antivirus is using...

Indeed, yesterday two users did complain about having problems entering the boards, seems that their Norton and McAfee alerted them of a malicious script within my smf files. Their file reports didn't match the files that were on my server. And my firewall-antivirus don't show any sign of a virus, spyware or any malicious data miner.

Changing a little this topic, we completed last week the extra text, so right now the script is 100% translated and inserted, so the only thing that remains is the betatest and some unfinished graphical hacks. :beer:

.: TransGen :.