News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Christmas present: Tales of Phantasia (Psx) released!  (Read 43641 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Christmas present: Tales of Phantasia (Psx) released!
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2007, 07:42:59 am »
Now, if the game in pSX looked better in full screen :(

What is the issue?  In pSX it should look identical to how it looks on a real PS1... it can't get any better than that ;)

of course what he means is if the game didn't look as pixilated fullscreen in pSX on a monitor

of course he could always rig his computer to a TV to get the normal look, but many people don't know how to or have the desire to do such a thing.

I really want to play my emus on a normal TV, but i can't decide as to which videocard would be better... any suggestions?¿ i plan to only play "retro" games and Mame... i need something good, with TV out but not to fancy with 512 mb ram, etc...

This will more than suffice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130292
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2007, 10:13:54 am »
of course he could always rig his computer to a TV to get the normal look, but many people don't know how to or have the desire to do such a thing.

I never thought about that, even if my graphics card has video output for a TV. Anyway, it's not what I'd call convenient, all the TVs here are in the opposite side of the house, and I don't feel like carrying the rig to other rooms just to play a bit. As I said, it only looks worse than ideal with 3D graphics, ToP is not a big deal, all I have to do is sit farther from the TFT :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:34:34 am by Lashiec »
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2007, 10:47:58 am »
Holy sh*t, i can't believe i missed this one out over x-mas. I mean, who needs x-mas, who needs a real life, when you could've been playing the greatest translation of the year?! Certainly not me!  :P  Awesome, guys!  :beer:

Potman

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2007, 11:24:45 am »
thanks, man, awesome patch, am playing it on my modded xbox  :P
yea, for those who doesnt own a psx and wants to play it on tv, just buy a cheap xbox and mod it, alot of emulators can be used on a modded xbox.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:43 pm »
I didn't have much internet access over the holidays... so just wanted to say that I played it and everything looks really great!  Awesome job... amazingly fast progress :thumbsup:
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

throughhim413

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 02:27:21 am »
Just for everyone's information, we're working on corrections to the script.  Just because the 1.0 is out doesn't mean that we're done.  If anyone has any corrections, suggestions, or comments, please let us know so that we can address these problems.  The main bug reporting spot is over on Gemini's site:

http://www.crosser.altervista.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=127

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • KAJITANI-EIZAN's Patch Site: Reimagination
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2008, 03:52:51 am »
i finally got a chance to patch it and play a bit (i just entered the cave after morrison's house), and there were a handful of awkward lines here and there, plus two typos (one i believe was already corrected in that thread, the other is "don't over do it", which should be "don't overdo it"). nothing too bad, though; it looks pretty good :P

but what is rampant (but luckily, relatively easy to fix) is the comma misuse. commas do not join two sentences together.  :police:

also, the arrow brackets. I CAN'T <<UNSEE>> THEM :(

throughhim413

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2008, 04:07:27 am »
but what is rampant (but luckily, relatively easy to fix) is the comma misuse. commas do not join two sentences together.  :police:
I've been aware of this comma problem of mine for a while.  In ToP, it manifests most horrifically in the menu I think, but I'm doing my best to correct those kinds of issues.  If you have any specifics as to the awkward lines you mentioned, I'll be happy to hear them.

People shouldn't expect any kind of new version any time soon.  I want to have fair time to look over things, and I want players to have time to point out problems.  Most of the errors are minor enough that I'm not disappointed with the patch, even in its current form.  I just always like to think ahead, and this is honestly the best way to learn how to improve my script writing.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2008, 10:11:12 am »
The downside of a non-generic patch format.

Kajitani-Eizan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
only one that comes to mind right now is "Between Chester and his bow and me and my sword, we'll be fine", or something like that. i would suggest "Between Chester's bow and my sword".

i also remember seeing a I/me issue somewhere. i forget the line, but the error was something like "Everyone loves Chester and I". it should be "Chester and me", as it is in the object portion of the sentence. (unless perhaps it involved "than", though "me" would probably still be better to make it more colloquial.)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2008, 08:20:08 am »
not more colloquial, more grammaticaly correct. The rule for figuring out whether or not to use I or me is: "does the sentence make sense if I pull out the other person?"
Everybody loves Chester and I.
Everybody loves I.
Everybody loves Chester and me.
Everybody loves me.

common mistake, and the one thing i took away from my high school English courses that sticks with me today (other than the memories of bad Shakespeare movies on the days when my professor didn't feel like teaching).

Kajitani-Eizan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2008, 11:15:44 am »
apparently when used with "than", "I" is actually the correct form in some cases. e.g. "He is taller than I."

link: http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/t.html
see heading "Than I versus Than Me."

Aganar

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2008, 01:04:33 am »
The rule for figuring out whether the pronoun after "than" is "I" or "me" is what it's doing in the sentence. This applies to all pronouns as well.

For example:

I like The Beatles more than he.
I like The Beatles more than him.

The second one sounds right, but in the context of the sentence the first one is actually correct. To make what the two sentences are actually saying more clear:

I like The Beatles more than he (likes The Beatles).
I like the Beatles more than (I like) him.

With that in mind, the second one now looks silly, since you're comparing the value of you and your friend's opinion of The Beatles, not whether you prefer The Beatles to your friend.

The same applies for I and Me:

He is taller than I.
He is taller than me.

Again, the latter sounds correct, but in actuality it's the former:

He is taller than I (am).
He is taller than (he is) me.

However, it's worth noting that if college students and even professionals can make this error, the main characters in an average JRPG--i.e. usually a bunch of high-school aged students who probably aren't known for their academics, except of course for the token brainy one--probably aren't going to know any better.

On another topic, is anyone working on making a graphic hack to give us the battle sprites from the PSP version? After having seen the screens these guys look so chubby by comparison.

Kajitani-Eizan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2008, 01:54:54 am »
this is true... unless the character is a particularly brainy, well-spoken, or formal one, the "taller than me" construction is probably better to use, even if it's technically wrong.