News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile Released  (Read 16242 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile Released
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:16:16 am »

Update By: ZeaLitY

Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile is a new story following Magus's turbulent experience in Zeal as he dons the guise of the Prophet, curries favor with the Queen, and prepares for his second attempt at exacting revenge on Lavos. It's full of graphical, level, sound, and design polishes and surprises, reflecting the cutting edge in Trigger hacking. The expanded ROM freezes in SNES9x at some point, so stick with ZSNES for the time being; sorry. It's about two or three regular Trigger chapters long, and the first Chrono Trigger hack with a new story.

Staff Note: You can find RHDN's archive of this hack here.

Relevant Link: (http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger:_Prophet%27s_Guile.html)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile Released
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:16:19 am »
as a person who's played it, it's quality stuff. if you're a chrono fan then there isn't any reason not to go pick it up, it isn't super long s\but it's very rich in content.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:22:09 am »
I'm preparing to play it now. About how long did it take you to finish up?
Shame he couldn't have been changed to his prophet appearance as planned.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 03:13:59 pm »
Yes, this hack is scrum-diddly-umptious. If anyone would like to know more about the coolness that's in store for those who download, the Compendium has two preview vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuAkxoSFdSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbXuAJtbPQ

They start out the same, but differ widely after the first minute or so. The Compendium is interested in feedback, especially from you experienced ROM hackers out there, so drop us a line here and let us know what was done really well and what could be improved in future modifications.
Verve Fanworks: We shall shew thee here the force of our arms!

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 03:34:35 pm »
I'll dig up that questionnaire. Right now, there are two coders working on Crimson Echoes again (plus the talent freed up by Prophet's Guile's completion), so CE is definitely going to be the next big thing to come out of the Compendium. Today's criticism and feedback for PG equals tomorrow's Crimson Echoes success.

SPOILERS

1. Was Magus's reaction to finding Zeal done well?
2. What did you think of the status screen art and colors?
3. Was the Gaspar and Janus scene okay?
4. Did you find the Cerulean Lake before you had to go there? What did you think of it?
5. Was the Prophet's trumped-up, flowery dialogue cheesy or dramatic?
6. Was the Beast's Nest dungeon design done well? And the scene with the Lasher?
7. How about Mt. Woe; did the song make it seem imposing, cold, and sordid given the task of putting Melchior up there?
8. Did you let Melchior die?
9. How was the battle scene between Melchior and Magus? And the scene with Schala afterwards?
10. What did you think of the Ocean Palace under construction?
11. And, what did you think of the final confrontation and Dalton's eye?
12. What was your reaction to the clip show and ending art?
13. Did you find all three Oboli?
14. Finally, did the game possess the Chrono atmosphere (even if just the darker part) and revive your interest in the series?

And any other comments are very welcome. Thanks for playing.

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:47 pm »
I played through this hack and I'm impressed.  Its good to see a complete hack.  This game fits in with the storyline well.
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 03:53:02 pm »
Yeah.

The Prophet's "trumped-up, flowery" dialogue was as one would expect, and fit. Same for Magus as himself. When talking to the NPCs though it became a bit much though; some variation would've been nice.

Unfortunately I found only two Oboli. :(

EDIT: One thing I'd like to point out is that on the field map (normal view) Magus is gliding, but on the overworld map he's walking.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:06:06 pm by creaothceann »

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 08:29:42 am »
This hack is pretty short...

Maybe someone should do a Live-a-Live type hack and have side-stories for the named characters when they're not selectable for your party. We already have one for Magus, but how about one for Frog, Lucca, and the rest?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 01:06:19 pm »
I played this yesterday and I was pretty impressed. Unfortunately, the game froze after a certain point, and I hadn't saved at all (since there were no battles at that point). This of course is due to the fact that I'm purposely using an older version of ZSNES (so I can play FF2us/FFIV without a missing section of the screen). You guys should look into fixing that.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:15 pm »
what point did it freeze at? if it was mostly dialog on the bright side you can just fast forward through most of it and get back to where you were without much hassle.

also zsnes 1.51 isn't necessary, 1.50 also works, I'm not sure how far back that trend goes.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:21:12 pm »
Wow, this looks awesome. Hope I'll have the time to give this a whirl at some point.

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 04:03:14 pm »
Anyone else get through it? Looks like the buzz is finally dead for a while, so I guess this is the last call. Thanks for checking it out, everyone.

Cidolfas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 12:23:33 am »
Hmm... I tried downloading it, but I can't get past the first screen. The text from RD shows up, then the Ocean Palace theme starts playing on a black background and no key does anything.

I'm using ZSNES 1.51 for Windows, on 32-bit Vista. Chrono.smc is 4,194,816 bytes and I'm using the headered IPS via ZSNES's auto-IPS feature.

Kai

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 01:21:22 am »
Nvm, fix'd.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 06:20:32 am »
Hmm... I tried downloading it, but I can't get past the first screen. The text from RD shows up, then the Ocean Palace theme starts playing on a black background and no key does anything.

I'm using ZSNES 1.51 for Windows, on 32-bit Vista. Chrono.smc is 4,194,816 bytes and I'm using the headered IPS via ZSNES's auto-IPS feature.

For some reason, there are some patches that don't apply correctly that way.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »

as odd as it sounds it didn't work for me too when I was soft/auto patching, but when I hard patched it, it worked fine. I'm not saying there is a connection, but there could be as that's how it was for me.

Cidolfas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:25 am »
Yep, that did it. Thanks! I still don't have much time to check it out but I'll do my best. 8-)