News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star II Remakes!  (Read 14954 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star II Remakes!
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:09:11 pm »

Update By: The $ Avenger

This Genesis classic has long gone under-appreciated, and finally it gets the updates it deserves!  The $ Avenger is proud to announce two hacks built off this fantastic RPG title: Numan Revolution and Evil Overload.

Numan Revolution retells the story of Algo's second chapter with a nearly entirely different storyline, comprehensive edits to all eight playable characters, a complete overhaul of monster statistics to ease the difficulty of this legendarily difficult title, a completely changed equipment database, recolored monsters, and a couple of Easter Eggs, including the one wish of all Phantasy Star II veterans!

Evil Overload has all the changes of Numan Revolution with a difficulty increase for the player seeking an extreme challenge!

Are you ready for an all new adventure in Algo?  Come join the Numan Revolution and watch out for Evil Overload!

Relevant Link: (http://www.geocities.com/thedollaravenger)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star II Remakes!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:27:04 pm »
Who ever named that news artical is a horrible horrible person! I thought someone translated the ps2 remake! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:18:17 pm »
I love phantasy star, I'll give this hack a try

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:12:18 pm »
FYI to those that download the earlier patches, V1.08 and V1.0: I had to release one last version of each of the patches.  V1.09 and V1.01 are the newest and likely final versions.  They're already uploaded to this site.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 01:13:12 pm »
I've started playing the 1.08 version of Numan.. what are the differences?

Anyway it seems like a great improvement so far, I never bothered to get through the original PSII but I will try it with this hack. I have some crits though:

- Getting 3 quests right after eachother in the beginning was a bit overwelming without a notebook feature, and the abbreviations on Mother Brain etc are a bit annoying.

- Equipment still seems to cost way too much to me, I had to grind (collect money) for over an hour (with fastforward turned ON) to equip my party fully before going to the 1st dungeon.

- The random encounter rate in the dungeons is nuts, after getting through the first one I don't really feel like going through something like that again :/ It would help somewhat if the dungeons didn't look so repetitive or were full of dead ends so you kept getting lost.

- The inverted colors on monsters doesn't look so good to me. On a siimilar note, how much editing is possible on graphics? I'm farily skilled at pixeling and I'd like to give it a try.

- Nothing big but.. starting with all the characters is interesting though I don't feel like going back and leveling up the ones I left behind if I should want to try them out. It does give me a reason to replay the game, but still..
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 05:39:45 pm »
Who ever named that news artical is a horrible horrible person! I thought someone translated the ps2 remake! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

what? I didn't even know there was a Phantasy Star 2 remake, i thought it was just Phantasy Star 1 remade? Link?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 06:07:24 pm »

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 06:26:41 pm »
sigh, I want PSIV, why did they cancel it?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kyrael Seraphine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 06:30:43 pm »
Probably because sales of the first two were underwhelming? I mean, they didn't even make three.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 06:38:11 pm »
the same sad story as Megaman on the PSP, people officially suck.

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 10:41:49 pm »
V1.09 Numan Revolution and V1.01 Evil Overload fix some text errors at the end of the game.  That's it.

President Leever, if you're interested in sprite editing for this game, check out this document from my site that I created during this hack: http://www.geocities.com/thedollaravenger/Phantasy_Star_II_Equipment_Spreadsheet.xls.  The sprite data is listed on page 3, columns E-AH.  There's some other comprehensive spreadsheets of everything I edited in the hack on my site.  I'll upload them here shortly.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 01:35:49 pm »
V1.09 Numan Revolution and V1.01 Evil Overload fix some text errors at the end of the game.  That's it.

President Leever, if you're interested in sprite editing for this game, check out this document from my site that I created during this hack: http://www.geocities.com/thedollaravenger/Phantasy_Star_II_Equipment_Spreadsheet.xls.  The sprite data is listed on page 3, columns E-AH.  There's some other comprehensive spreadsheets of everything I edited in the hack on my site.  I'll upload them here shortly.

Well that's good to hear. I've reached the leaf quest now and I'm really enjoying the hack :)

This excel doc is interesting but Im a complete noob when it comes to romhacking so I don't have much use for it (yet). Maybe I could do some spritework and send it to you though, and you're free to implement it if you like it? I've some knowledge about Genesis graphics from working on the in-progress Tavern RPG but I'd like to know the exact limitations like the color palette for monsters, the maximum size (I know 8x8 blocks is the smallest the MD works with) and maximum no. of animation frames?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:26:07 pm »
Well that's good to hear. I've reached the leaf quest now and I'm really enjoying the hack :)

This excel doc is interesting but Im a complete noob when it comes to romhacking so I don't have much use for it (yet). Maybe I could do some spritework and send it to you though, and you're free to implement it if you like it? I've some knowledge about Genesis graphics from working on the in-progress Tavern RPG but I'd like to know the exact limitations like the color palette for monsters, the maximum size (I know 8x8 blocks is the smallest the MD works with) and maximum no. of animation frames?
Glad you like it.

I don't know much about Genesis tile hacking.  I did all my sprite changes strictly to the code since the sprites look encrypted in TLP.  All I know is that there are 64 available colors and I swapped those around in a hex editor to get my results.  I don't know anything about the sizes or the animation frames.  As for your sprite hacks, I'm retired now.  I've shipped off one last update of the hacks that fixes a bug with the Carbon Emel that makes it female arm-wear rather than the mistake of it being head-wear.  These updates are V1.10 and V1.02 NR and EO.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:26:34 am »
For those wondering, this is available on Phantasy Star Cave now, just google to find that site, since I'm not sure if I can link it here.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:16 am »
Thanks for telling us, but please inform us when another site has hacks that aren't already on this site.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:16:23 am »
Thanks for telling us, but please inform us when another site has hacks that aren't already on this site.

Actually those aren't here anymore by the author's request.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Kyrael Seraphine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 04:11:12 am »
For those wondering, this is available on Phantasy Star Cave now, just google to find that site, since I'm not sure if I can link it here.

My god, that site is painful to navigate.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:47 am »
If there had been a newer thread regarding Phantasy Star 2, I wouldn't have even posted in here.  Considering the post I made, I didn't feel it was needed to make an entirely new thread specifically to share that one bit of info, not only would that have seemed like spamming but being a new member generally means not making a new thread until you've had some posts under your belt.  At least that's how it is on most other gaming-related forums I've been on.

Forgive me if it seemed like advertising, obviously not everyone here knows the difference between a spambot and someone relaying helpful information.  A search for 'Evil Overload' for example doesn't even turn up any relevant results related to the romhack.  I specifically left out directly linking to PSC specifically so that I could avoid being seen as a 'spambot' or 'advertiser'.  For naught, it seems...

Is there a specific Phantasy Star 2 thread I could post in?  Discussion and so forth?  The game's about 20+ years old and I actually did forum-search and didn't turn up any newer threads or even any relevant threads other than this one.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:41:34 am »

Actually those aren't here anymore by the author's request.

Was that request rescinded just today? Nightcrawler added all of them back to the site.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:43 am »
Yes.

I, The Komrade, am entirely responsible for this mod.  You have my permission to post this patch on your site under the condition that you include this readme along with the zipped copy of the patch, and that you do not edit this readme in any way.  That’s all.  Just give me the credit!
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations