News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: Author URL Bug - Need Your Help  (Read 4349 times)

RHDNBot

Site: Author URL Bug - Need Your Help
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:29:49 am »
Update By: Nightcrawler

While looking at some code today, I discovered a bug that has had some significant effect on site information. Since the launch of RHDN 2.0, Translations, Hacks, and Documents submissions specifying a new author were not saving the Author URL when given.

So, if you have submitted anything to the site since June specifying a new author with URL, you should check the link for that author's entry in the community database and add it if it's not there. One important function of the community database is to let people know where people can be found or where to go for more information on a particular person. Missing information like this is detrimental to our community.

This is a good time in general to ask that we all partake in browsing through the community database and make sure author web page links and activity status are up to date and accurate. Ideally, we'd like the database to be an accurate snapshot of the community. Who's currently active? Where is their web page? What projects have they done? What projects are they doing? It's really for the benefit of all of us that we keep it as current and full as possible.

This bug has been fixed, so all future entries will be OK. Note that by default the community database shows ACTIVE members only. New authors added are also marked inactive by default to maintain database integrity that people marked active are definitely active. Please select ‘Any’ to see a full database listing.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/community/)

Lashiec

• View Profile
Re: Site: Author URL Bug - Need Your Help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:44:33 pm »
I'm going through a few entries now, and some questions arise: When do we consider someone as 'Not active'? What do we do with links to nonexistent pages? Remove them? Leave them there for future reference? For example, since Panicus went down, some people homepages are not longer accessible, redirecting the browser to those famous 'template' (or whatever you want to call them) pages.

Also, a weird thing. DANGER MAN has an Arabic Translation submitted to the site that appears listed in his forum profile, but not under his community database entry. Could it because of the "Incomplete" status of his translation?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 12:58:39 pm by Lashiec »
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:18:10 pm »
1.) We've historicly used the rule of thumb if there has been no updates in a year, you're not active. We are somewhat aggressive in trying to maintain the integrity of the database. People marked active should really be active. We'd rather one or two who are still active after a year of nothing be mistakenly marked inactive than have a bunch of people marked active who are not. The database is more useful and clean with the most active people truly being active than vice versa.

2.) Nonexistent pages should be removed. This also applies to Panicus pages.

3.) The Community Database temporarily lags behind the live translation,utility,doc,hack databases. It needs to be periodically synced until the RHDN 2.1 update is complete. Long story short, we're in the midst of changing some key database structures to properly support multiple authors per project and other features such as Satsu's previous proposal on cataloging translation credits and translators etc.  So, we've got two structurally different tables that will turn into one merged one, but we're not there yet. I just synced it right now, so it's currently up to date.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:11:06 pm »
Kaioshin and RedComet, you should be ashamed of yourselves! Lashiec started correcting these entries and had to link your board accounts to your community profiles! :o
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:24:01 pm »
Kaioshin and RedComet, you should be ashamed of yourselves! Lashiec started correcting these entries and had to link your board accounts to your community profiles! :o

But...the community profile for Twilight Translations was linked to my board account. I didn't think multiple profiles could link to the same board account.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:36:42 am »
Eh... look there, a flying cow!

*vanishes*

All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:59:18 am »

But...the community profile for Twilight Translations was linked to my board account. I didn't think multiple profiles could link to the same board account.

Oh. Nice comeback and good point. Profiles can link to the same board account, but the same board account can't link to multiple profiles! Your board account reflects only the first one it encounters which is now Twilight Translations. Maybe we should change it back!  :-[

I'll have to think about where we should go from here with issues like that. There's a few different directions we could pursue. None are very easy unfortunately.

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »
Yeah, I noticed AGTP and Gideon Zhi entries are using the same account, that is the one of the same Gideon Zhi. I don't know if there's someone else... I suppose you have to fix this to make the database redesign you mention work?

OK, so I'll remove dead links right away. Some other time I'll check active and inactive romhackers (it'll take a while :o)

I'll also resend the only rejected submission of yesterday, despite what the e-mail said, there are changes :)
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me