Okay so is that the ideal emulator for this hack? And is 0.997 the latest version (the link in op takes me to page 13, not 18)?
The game crashes when I reach the first egg in fceux 2.1.3.
This is a nice hack, anyway. Couple of things though:
1. Some issues when climbing vines (the first one in the first underground passage on stage 1). Climbing on the left side makes Mario fall if you hit your head, and you can't grab it again if you're standing on the same tile.
2. Consider changing the end of level star block thing into something more satisfying. You've basically dumbed down the little end of level mini-game that is a series staple there into nothing (unless I'm missing something).
Played a bit further in 2.2.1. Some observations:
- But the quest continues... so, does he eat that first egg or what happens?
- Missing a mario coin >I want to restart the stage >suicide.
- Super jump and other additions are awesome. Just wish I could change direction in mid-air now.
- I keep getting 100 coins when I'm right at the end of levels.
Edit 2: So I beat the game (with a few save states). Not bad overall but tbh I thought the level design was pure evil from world 7 onwards or so, and not much fun to play.
- At the end of a castle, I forget which, I could jump right through a hammer bro's hammer as I was jumping up to the final platform with the pressable block thingy.
- There was one part with a hidden block in mid-air when I was jumping between platforms. Kind of a dick move?
- I had the 100 coins=star power thing work against me about three or four times since it makes you fall through flying koopas you need to bounce on (and if there's a 100 second limit level, you're screwed).
- In 7-4, last part, the moving platform over the lava sometimes doesn't appear. It's still beatable but very tricky using the black koopa to bounce over it.
- In 8-4, did you seriously have to die in the room with two pipes/eating flowers to progress or was that a mistake?
- I guess this is in the original but when I was going down a pipe in the final stage and got hit by a hammer, Mario was moved sideways while shrinking, outside of the pipe and into the lava.