News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!  (Read 171456 times)

frantik

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2012, 06:37:02 pm »
Ha! The end level music played if you didn't acquire the Mario coin.

hmm maybe that's why i didn't notice it at first!

I hate turtles

« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2012, 03:32:24 pm »
I've stumbled upon some bugs, by the way.

Sometimes one of the spinies near the green pipe at 8-3 can suddenly leap from the right side of the screen at a very high speed. It hurts.

The last koopa at the last level didn't appear a few times, preventing me from reaching the pipe.

When you jump above the screen, you can bump into enemies that fell into the pits.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »
Sometimes one of the spinies near the green pipe at 8-3 can suddenly leap from the right side of the screen at a very high speed. It hurts.

yeah i've noticed occasional weirdness with spineys in general

The last koopa at the last level didn't appear a few times, preventing me from reaching the pipe.

hmm, that i haven't experienced in my play testing

When you jump above the screen, you can bump into enemies that fell into the pits.

that is a bug in the original game

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2012, 08:19:35 am »
I couldn't get the game to play on PSP, it freezes on a gray screen at boot. Is this a known issue? I've used several different versions of Nester J but no luck... I don't think it comes from a bad dump rom because the Classic Mario hack works... Has anyone managed to play on PSP, and if so, could you let me know which emulator and /or version was used? Many thanks!

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 24, 2012, 12:50:31 am »
yuka which patch version are you using? can you make sure you're using 0.998? 

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 24, 2012, 02:48:38 am »
yuka which patch version are you using? can you make sure you're using 0.998?

Yes, that's the one I've been using, above on this page.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 24, 2012, 03:46:13 am »
hmm.. not sure what the problem could be.  in 997 and before there was an error with an invalid opcode but it had not effect on the real hardware or any emulator except nintendolator

im not familiar with psp emulator so not sure what the problem could be. i would double check the rom works in another emulator first

jpx72

• View Profile
    • JPx72's Oldschool Consoles Collector
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2012, 12:45:49 pm »
I finaly got to play this on real hardware (on a SKROM board) but I experienced a problem - the game always freezes after world 1-5.  Can anyone help me? Is here anybody who is playing this on the real hardware?
I used the SMB (U) rom and 0.998 patch.

Does this game needs save-feature? SJROM as the emulator states, has a battery-backed RAM, but I cannot see any reason for that in the game itself.

EDIT: found a mistake in my schematics, I'll try to modify it and test further. I hope it will be okay after that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:17:39 am by jpx72 »

Professor Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2012, 01:48:14 pm »
Hey frantik, I got to say that SMB Unlimited is one of the most innovative SMB1 hacks since Extra Mario Bros. that I played. The new power-ups are one of the main reasons this hack is noteworthy. But I am now back on Reign of the Koopa, now renamed Super Mario Odyssey. Your hack has brought a lot of stuff to my attention, and there are a lot of new things I want to incorporate into my project with your assistance, if you don't mind. I do want you to know my project is gonna involve the Koopalings. If I'm drifting off-topic, then pardon me. I was just commenting on your project and I wanted to share something with you.

Here's the thread to my project:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14420.0.html

I can't PM you since your inbox is full, but you can still PM me. If you clear your inbox, we can talk more.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:03:16 pm by willj168 »

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 18, 2013, 02:26:29 am »
This may be a big of a large jump, but The Angry Videogame Nerd recently played this hack in one of his videos :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLssqdOkbE

I thought it'd be cool to mention. Years ago, the closest thing romhacking got in public media were a few obscure articles in gaming magazines, usually mentioning fan translations (like Bahamut Lagoon's) or really prominent hacks by a recognized author or that had a recognized base (like DharkDaiz's Mario Adventure). But as we've "modernized" our media via YouTube, romhacks have been catching up, too, becoming more widely discussed and known. This is already the second or third really good romhack that AVGN has covered, the first being Dr. Mario's Castlevania hack (which was also really awesome).

So that being said, mad props to this guy's work :)

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2013, 05:58:16 am »
yes i just noticed the other day that they had made a video covering my hack  :woot!:  there's been a big surge in interest. 

btw guys.. there is a level select feature and a way to enable "hard mode" in this hack.... up up down down........

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44:48 am »
I know this is un-related, and an uneccessary bump... but, frantik, your inbox is full!

Regarding Super Mario Bros. 5000 (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1429/)...

I patched this to a clean Super Mario Bros. (JU) (PRG0) [!].nes, as the description states... but I start off in level 0-1, above the ceiling, with directional/buttons disabled.   :huh:

screenshot

w7n

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:45 am »
I know this is un-related, and an uneccessary bump... but, frantik, your inbox is full!

Regarding Super Mario Bros. 5000 (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1429/)...

I patched this to a clean Super Mario Bros. (JU) (PRG0) [!].nes, as the description states... but I start off in level 0-1, above the ceiling, with directional/buttons disabled.   :huh:

screenshot

Hmm. In most cases there are problems with the ROMs, but not in this case. I patched it using the correct ROM and this glitch still occurs.
I suspect that the author probably edited a bad ROM, and used the correct original ROM to make the patch??
Well, the A+Start method doesn't work either. Maybe it's not the usual 0-1 glitch.
If you really want to emulate the game, use VirtuaNES.

(I'm still upset about my SMB hack post being ignored...)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:22:49 am by w7n »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #333 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:54 am »
Try this Anti 0-1 patch, it gets rid of the 0-1 problem in SMB hacks. Give it a shot, it works on my end & it also works on the No Title Screen version of SMB too.

Anti 0-1 Patch  :cookie: 

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 21, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »
Try this Anti 0-1 patch, it gets rid of the 0-1 problem in SMB hacks. Give it a shot, it works on my end & it also works on the No Title Screen version of SMB too.

Anti 0-1 Patch  :cookie:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! :woot!:

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #335 on: August 21, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
No problem man, try using the hack on the emulator FCEUX 2.2.1 when you get the chance.   

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #336 on: August 23, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »
Okay so is that the ideal emulator for this hack? And is 0.997 the latest version (the link in op takes me to page 13, not 18)?

The game crashes when I reach the first egg in fceux 2.1.3.

This is a nice hack, anyway. Couple of things though:
1. Some issues when climbing vines (the first one in the first underground passage on stage 1). Climbing on the left side makes Mario fall if you hit your head, and you can't grab it again if you're standing on the same tile.
2. Consider changing the end of level star block thing into something more satisfying. You've basically dumbed down the little end of level mini-game that is a series staple there into nothing (unless I'm missing something).

Edit:
Played a bit further in 2.2.1. Some observations:
- But the quest continues... so, does he eat that first egg or what happens?
- Missing a mario coin >I want to restart the stage >suicide.
- Super jump and other additions are awesome. Just wish I could change direction in mid-air now.
- I keep getting 100 coins when I'm right at the end of levels.

Edit 2: So I beat the game (with a few save states). Not bad overall but tbh I thought the level design was pure evil from world 7 onwards or so, and not much fun to play.

- At the end of a castle, I forget which, I could jump right through a hammer bro's hammer as I was jumping up to the final platform with the pressable block thingy.
- There was one part with a hidden block in mid-air when I was jumping between platforms. Kind of a dick move?
- I had the 100 coins=star power thing work against me about three or four times since it makes you fall through flying koopas you need to bounce on (and if there's a 100 second limit level, you're screwed).
- In 7-4, last part, the moving platform over the lava sometimes doesn't appear. It's still beatable but very tricky using the black koopa to bounce over it.
- In 8-4, did you seriously have to die in the room with two pipes/eating flowers to progress or was that a mistake?
- I guess this is in the original but when I was going down a pipe in the final stage and got hit by a hammer, Mario was moved sideways while shrinking, outside of the pipe and into the lava.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:47:19 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2018, 08:24:39 am »
Use the Konami Code before the title screen scrolls all the way onto the screen to enable level selector and/or "hard mode".. after entering the code, press B for level select and hold A+start to start in hard mode.

Collecting the Mario coins enables hidden power up blocks in other levels, depending on how many you have collected.  There is almost always a hidden power up near the first pipe in castle levels.