News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!  (Read 171417 times)

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!
« Reply #280 on: December 28, 2011, 02:04:57 am »
Seriously? Well that is strange. There are some other things about pipes that are a little weird. Like, multiple pipes that go to the same place. Seems unnecessary.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2011, 02:14:33 am »
can you give specific examples?  i might have accidentally left other pipes set to "can enter" [edit.. now that i'm double checking i've found at least 5 lol]

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:06:38 pm by frantik »

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2011, 10:30:37 am »
OK, thanks, I'll try that out.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 28, 2011, 10:31:09 am »
edit: How the heck did it double post? To the best of my knowledge it wasn't something I did. And where is the delete post option?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:39:39 am by curses »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 28, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »
wow curses you broke the matrix!!  :o

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:06:00 pm by frantik »

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2011, 05:48:03 pm »
When you pause the game and then unpause the game, the sound turns off for a few seconds.  I don't think that is suppose to happen.

Cool hack however. :)

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 29, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »
yeah  that has something to do with the music being edited.. i'll mention it to dr floppy and maybe he can come up with a fix

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
Okay, I found some more pipe bugs. In 4-1 , 6-1 , 6-4 , 7-2 , and 8-3 are pipes that drop Mario off into thin air to his death.
7-2 , 7-3 , and 7-4 have pipes that let Mario skip to the last segment of the level.
7-4 has a pipe that warps Mario to the end of level 7-3.
8-4 has a pipe that warps Mario to the same pipe.

Finally, 8-5 is really damn hard. Not in a bad way though.

Thanks again.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »
Okay, I found some more pipe bugs. In 4-1 , 6-1 , 6-4 , 7-2 , and 8-3 are pipes that drop Mario off into thin air to his death.
7-2 , 7-3 , and 7-4 have pipes that let Mario skip to the last segment of the level.
7-4 has a pipe that warps Mario to the end of level 7-3.
8-4 has a pipe that warps Mario to the same pipe.

Finally, 8-5 is really damn hard. Not in a bad way though.

Thanks again.

thanks for checking out and reporting those pipe bugs.. man, hella pipe problems.  i think i found them all except the one u mentioned in 8-4..?

new patch (v0.994)

and 8-5 is supposed to be hard... if you haven't gotten all of the mario coins that is ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:05:10 pm by frantik »

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2011, 12:03:01 am »
thanks for checking out and reporting those pipe bugs.. man, hella pipe problems.  i think i found them all except the one u mentioned in 8-4..?

and 8-5 is supposed to be hard... if you haven't gotten all of the mario coins that is ;)

Wait a minute... I do have all 32 Mario coins, though. Hmm...

The 8-4 pipe is at the beginning of the water section. Or maybe I am thinking of 8-5. Yeah, it's 8-5.

Also, I think I was wrong about 7-2 having pipes that let Mario skip to the end of the level. Those were only in 7-3 and 7-4. 7-2 only had the one pipe that dumps Mario into a pit.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2011, 03:10:47 am »
Wait a minute... I do have all 32 Mario coins, though. Hmm...

The 8-4 pipe is at the beginning of the water section. Or maybe I am thinking of 8-5. Yeah, it's 8-5.

Also, I think I was wrong about 7-2 having pipes that let Mario skip to the end of the level. Those were only in 7-3 and 7-4. 7-2 only had the one pipe that dumps Mario into a pit.

yeah i went over all of those levels and checked every pipe.. SMBUtil needs to display a symbol on the pipes to indicate 'can enter' or not cause it's too easy to leave pipes set wrong

new patch (v0.995) (fixes minor 8-5 pipe bugs)

You need to figure out what mario coins do, then it should be more obvious what the secret is to beating the final castle.   Mario coins have an effect through out the whole game, not just at the end.. in fact it's possible to determine what they do without even leaving world 1. 

I don't want to give too much away yet, though eventually I might make a "player's guide" or walk through or something.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:29:20 am by frantik »

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2011, 08:18:29 am »
There is no sound effect when Mario comes out of the pipe.  The sound effect works when he goes in.  Unless I'm mistaken, in the original, the sound effects plays when he goes in and comes out of the pipe.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:54 am »
There is no sound effect when Mario comes out of the pipe.  The sound effect works when he goes in.  Unless I'm mistaken, in the original, the sound effects plays when he goes in and comes out of the pipe.

nope, the original game is like that.. i just checked

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 31, 2011, 10:29:31 am »
After years of lurking, registered just to post about this game :)

Frantik, you must be a really good person to make such a sweet hack.  At least, I used to think that, until I got to world 8-4.  I've given it a good hour and haven't found my way out of the infinite loop (or seen any hints of a final mario coin).  I just wanted to make sure the pipes weren't glitched in the new release, cause ive tried everything I can think of.  Any PM'd hints would be nice too :).

Still no ideas on the mario coins, maybe itll be more apparent in 8-5...

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 31, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »
nope, that's not a glitch in 8-4.. just a very crafty puzzle :D

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 31, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »
Well maybe I died a lot of times when I played this game the first time but at least I can pat myself on the back for figuring out that puzzle. Whew. Cool puzzle.

I have been trying to determine what the Mario coins do. Just when I thought I had it figured out, something in a later level made me get uncertain again.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 31, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »
that puzzle is one of my favorites.. to pull it off I didn't use any ASM or anything, just clever level design and knowledge of how the game engine works  (to solve the puzzle you don't need to know anything special about the game engine, just use your eyes and your brain :) )

Curses.. i just discovered there's a bug with the mario coins, so you may have figured it out but got thrown off by the bug.  (after a while the game will start to act like you've collected all of the mario coins.. but the more mario coins you collect, the later in the game it takes for this bug to show up, so i never noticed it until lots of people started playtesting.  will fix this bug and release patch

Dr. Floppy is gonna work on the pause music issue too :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:59:39 pm by frantik »

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »
A few hours later, and I still got nothing.  Is it time based?  Something to do with the enemies?  I don't think theres any secret passage through the walls, and you cant go back through any of the pipes, so.... :(

Edit:Okay....figured it out and not too thrilled about it.  There isn't much, if any, conveyance towards that solution.  However, I do see why something like it is necessary given the nature of the final level.

Beat 8-5...I'm guessing the mario coins give you more time in the castle levels?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:42:15 pm by guitarpalooz »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2012, 09:49:49 pm »
Beat 8-5...I'm guessing the mario coins give you more time in the castle levels?

as i mentioned in the previous post, there is a bug right now that, depending on the number of mario coins collected and when you collected them, can make the game act like you've collected all of the mario coins.   Unless you did collect all of the coins, chances are this bug affected your game and that's why it's not obvious what the coins do.  but no, it's not related to time.  i believe i've fixed the bug, just need to playtest it to triple check.  i will release the updated patch soon

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 01, 2012, 10:03:18 pm »
Hmm, I did get all 32 on my first playthrough.  Perhaps it's not obvious to me because I don't know what the game played like without having them all.  I'll try a no-coin run when the patch comes out.