News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!  (Read 171260 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - In progress
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2010, 11:43:49 am »
This is cool man, can't wait for the final product you're almost to the finish line...  :cookie:

segwayspeedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »
You've accomplished so much, frantik. I'm sure you're sick of praise, but kudos. SMB Unlimited scores a 100% regardless.

KaBooM!

• Bestower Of Blue Bombs, Emissary Of Enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2010, 10:14:59 pm »
   First of all, let me say that your hack, Super Mario Unlimited, is coming along rather nicely, and I can see that you've put a lot of time, effort, and work into it.  I'm not usually impressed by Super Mario hacks as there are so many already, and most of these are of questionable quality at best.  (Extra Mario Bros. is a DEFINITE exception to this rule!  :thumbsup:  )  But I am impressed by this, and have been looking forward to a quality Super Mario hack which brings the series back to it's roots.  I thoroughly encourage you to keep up a job well done, as I am very much looking forward to playing this.  In that regard, I would now like to offer a suggestion, since you've done such a great job on this already...

Skim-reading through this thread, it is my understanding that you plan on including unlimited lives in this hack.  While this may be okay for some, I personally feel that it cheapens the challenge.  However, I definitely agree that losing all of your lives in five minutes is not a good, valid way to play a hack like this either.  So, building on your comment that you want to use the score counter for something to do with lives, how about this:  Start Mario off with one life but turn the score register into a health counter!  :)

Here's how it works:  Mario starts the game with full health...we'll say a value of 3000 for balance's sake.  Every time Small Mario collides with something which can kill him, he loses 450 points on the health counter but gets to keep going with temporary invincibility as if he had just downgraded from Super Mario.  When Super or Small Mario falls down a pit, he loses either 150 or 300 points from the health counter depending on which mode he was in when he fell down said pit, and must start the level over from the beginning.  (This makes acquiring Super Mario all the more desirable and also creates balance...do you risk a collision with Small Mario and keep going with less health, or risk a fall and have to start the level over?  :-\  )  All collisions in Super Mario mode work as they did before, with a downgrade to Small Mario but no loss on the health counter.  This is all assuming Mario hasn't yet reached "0" or less on that health counter, at which point the game ends.  Now, when Mario successfully collects 100 coins, not only is he granted temporary invincibility like you said but it would be a great opportunity to replenish his health counter to 3000 (Full) since you have done away with 1UP mushrooms.  These suggestions, I feel, would add balance to the game not only by emphasizing the importance of coin collection but also by giving the less skillful a good and fair chance to play the game all the way through without making it a total drop in the bucket.  It's fair to assume that someone out there may someday attempt to put this on a cartridge and play this on the actual NES hardware...and using save states is just a litlle...um...difficult to do on actual hardware.  (Unfortunately!)  :-X

Since scoring would not be of importance, you may also want to consider adding a level select on the title screen much like the one in "Toad's Adventure" so that the player may begin the game on any world/stage they so choose as a way to continue where they left off.  It would be a shame, despite the changes made above, if the player were to reach 8-3 and lose the game by running out of health, and I believe that part of the charm of playing a ROMhack, both for the player and for the person who created it, is being allowed to see everything a ROMhacker has done to a game from the start rather than have to fight like mad to catch a fleeting glimpse of her/his great artwork and gameplay changes.  :)   As a ROMhack author myself, I'd much rather create games which drop jaws rather than frustrate players who wish to see my changes.  (Not saying that YOUR hack will frustrating, but you get the idea, it's an "ego" thing.  ;D )

In the ROMhack I've done which is going through final playtesting pending upcoming release, I did things similar to the suggestions I made above, sans the health counter idea because that and removing scoring just wouldn't work considering the game in question that's been refurbished.  I included a stage select, among other things, on the title screen of my game, and also a lives select which gives the player the option to start with as little as one or as many as seven lives and also an option to enable/disable the awarding of bonus lives throughout the game.  I also added cheat switches for the game on Controller 2, one of which does not reduce the lives counter when the protagonist dies, and one of which that disables deadly collisions entirely!  :o   The idea was, again, to allow the less skillful player to get a chance to see all of my work, even if they have to cheat to do it  ;) .  Hell, it beats using a Game Genie...

One more thing I'd like to add.  Whatever you do with the "lives" functions of Super Mario Unlimited, it's important to keep in mind that 1UP mushrooms are not the only way to acquire bonus lives.  I'm sure you've got the "coins" thing in the bag, but there is also scoring itself as well as enemy kills in succession which eventually lead to 1UPs which must be accounted for.  If you don't intend for the player to get any 1UPs for whatever reason than it's important to keep an eye out for these things when working on your game.

But once again, very impressive job on this.  Please keep up the good work, and I look forward to playing this.  :D   Take care...
I do things in the manner in which I do them because doing so makes perfect sense to me. Whether or not this makes sense to others or follows the status quo is completely irrelevant. My own personal perceptions, therefore, do and shall always represent the colorful reality in which I believe I live.

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2010, 12:03:40 am »
Text

I wish double-spacing after periods was a punishable offense. Seriously, there is time and space for text setting -- yet, it's not on this message board. Also, usually typesetters will hate you for using spaces for this kind of thing, as it will require much manual labor to remove the damage and set it properly.

cYa,

Tauwasser

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2010, 07:14:41 pm »
it will require much manual labor to remove the damage
...or a simple replace all.

it was drilled into my head to use two spaces after a sentence - it's been habit for over 20 years now, and i don't see it changing anytime in the near future.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:54 pm »
I'm with odditude on that one.  I've been taught since I was a kid to put two spaces after each sentence.  :|
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »
Wow.  That's a first.  I never thought I'd see the day where people were harassed online for using proper formatting.  Next, they'll start coming for your good grammar.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2010, 02:12:03 am »
It is weird, why would you put an extra space?

I don't really care, just wondering who in the world taught you that.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2010, 02:34:23 am »
I was taught that way in elementary school, back when we were still using monospace word processors and printers that only accepted paper with the little lines of holes on the edges. About.com seems to corroborate the prevalence of the practice with monospace fonts, and less so with proportional fonts.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2010, 07:52:43 am »
Wait... Two spaces after a sentence? I only learned to put one space after the period! O_o
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:47 pm »
I was taught that way in elementary school, back when we were still using monospace word processors and printers that only accepted paper with the little lines of holes on the edges. About.com seems to corroborate the prevalence of the practice with monospace fonts, and less so with proportional fonts.

I remember those! although i was to young to be in typing class at those times. I remember printing happy birthday banners on them though.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2010, 04:38:24 pm »
I never thought I'd see the day where people were harassed online for using proper formatting.

There is nothing proper about it. It's a remnant of typewriters and mono-spaced fonts. Usually, when setting text, the widths will be set according to the effect you want to achieve anyway. There are many different ways you can set this, specifically after periods. For instance, there are times when you would set a thin space before colons, periods etc., times when this is not appropriate. Usually, what the type setter will do after periods, is to replace that space with a slightly bigger one anyway. Double-spacing is at best a nuisance then. Sadly I couldn't find a good example picture I had seen earlier on this one. It was a good example incorporating I think six different, consistent ways, to set text, with highlighting like the following:

However, I have received word that I probably should not have directed my criticism in an open thread and therefore disrupting the topic. I should probably have sent a private message and been done with it. So yeah, I think it is poor formatting, and now everybody can move on to talk about SMB Unlimited again ;)

cYa,

Tauwasser

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »
Hm..That's how we were taught all up to high school.  During then they never said anything was grammatically wrong with 2 spaces after a sentence and it's not being attacked by professors in college either.  I guess it can't be helped since people were raised in the "ancient" times.

And yes, this is probably about the only Mario hack I've actually been interested in.  It's amazing thus far and I can't wait to see it all finished.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

CalvinHart

• I NeEd TrAnSlAtIoNs
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2010, 05:07:59 am »
hope this will finished soon  >:D
:D :D all of my loved games many all of them are JAPANESE!!! OH NO!! I CANT SPEAK JAPANESE

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2010, 02:04:08 am »
Text

I wish double-spacing after periods was a punishable offense. Seriously, there is time and space for text setting -- yet, it's not on this message board. Also, usually typesetters will hate you for using spaces for this kind of thing, as it will require much manual labor to remove the damage and set it properly.

cYa,

Tauwasser

And I thought I got a rough reception here.

LMAO @ this digression.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:44 am »
:o who cares about the spacing :-p.. a whole page of off topic posts is surely much more annoying the average reader. 

regarding having UNLIMITED lives in Super Mario UNLIMITED.. well.. it would feel kind of silly to change it.  Zelda and Metroid have unlimited lives and i don't think anyone felt they were cheap.   In SMU you can have a maximum of 4 hit points since you go from fire to big to small before you die.

In SMB3 and especially SMW, it was so easy to get extra lives that it's really just a formality, a throwback to arcade games.  SMU was made in the era of emulators and savestates -- people will just abuse save states if you make them play through the same crap over again just to get to where they were.  there are still reasons to play the earlier levels

btw, a release date has been set (in 2010, but the exact date is still a secret).. hold on to your butts :)

fflegend

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2010, 02:41:42 am »
I was taught to double-space in highschool; but then the standard abruptly changed. I've found that using a single space is less of an eyesore.

There are worse atrocities in grammar: Misuse of capitalization in titles, improper usage of relative pronouns, the fact that prepositions are widely neglected in favor of shorter clauses, punctuation appearing after parenthesis...

What disturbs me more than anything else in the world is when someone implies that I am not a person. "Did you just see the crazy guy that punched that clown?!" Excuse me? The proper relative pronoun is who. By referring to me as a "that," you are implying that I am a gender-neutral object. How would you feel if I made the same inference about your mother? Hmm? "Who's that fat lady that just trampled my poodle?!" I don't think you'd like that very much.

Further, I feel like getting a little more than knife-happy when someone excludes prepositions from being lower-cased in titles. It's "Somewhere over the Rainbow" - not "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." *shudder* Somewhere, near a mausoleum in Westchester County, Judy Garland is tightly clasping a bottle of barbiturates and she grits her teeth and rolls around in anguish of your ignorance.

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2010, 04:18:54 pm »
a release date has been set (in 2010, but the exact date is still a secret).. hold on to your butts :)
Yay! I've really been looking forward to this hack like everyone else! I can't wait for it to finally be released! Thanks, frantik! :thumbsup:

SBK

• My text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2010, 05:04:53 am »
Like I said before, this is looking way sharp!

And as for the double spacing... shut up.

CalvinHart

• I NeEd TrAnSlAtIoNs
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47:26 am »
a release date has been set (in 2010, but the exact date is still a secret).. hold on to your butts :)
Yay! I've really been looking forward to this hack like everyone else! I can't wait for it to finally be released! Thanks, frantik! :thumbsup:
i will wait for 1 year man ;D
:D :D all of my loved games many all of them are JAPANESE!!! OH NO!! I CANT SPEAK JAPANESE