News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Harvest Moon: FoMT - Fixed Translation Project  (Read 2196 times)

Diachromatic

• View Profile
Harvest Moon: FoMT - Fixed Translation Project
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
Hey there! I absolutely love Friends of Mineral Town, and wanted to contribute to it somehow - and knowing all the translation errors that are within the game, I figured that was a good place to start!

My plan is to create a patch that contains edited translations that fixes punctuation, grammatical errors, or straight-up untranslated text. I have been doing so already, and am learning the ins and outs of the process:

Spoiler:

One worry I have is that I do not know much regarding More Friends of Mineral Town, the updated version for female players. Maybe the translation was fixed in that version. I do feel that I would like to work on fixing FoMT over MFoMT though, as that is the one that I grew up with (and it has cute girls!)

I'm also not sure if this has been attempted or maybe even successfully done before, so let me know if I'm reinventing the wheel.

What I'd like from you guys is feedback! Tell me what you think I should do with this project, help me find the more hidden errors in dialogue, or even just tell me this is a bad idea. I can take it!

Tom

• View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon: FoMT - Fixed Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:45 pm »
I think it's a wonderful idea! I'll definitely make use of this patch when it's done.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:20:34 pm »
I did some work on this game a bit ago. Slowed down trying to figure out the pointer format. Game is formatted very strangely, but very straight forward.

Let me know if you need any help!

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:25 am »
One worry I have is that I do not know much regarding More Friends of Mineral Town, the updated version for female players. Maybe the translation was fixed in that version.

I would be very surprised if that were the case. I have never played a Harvest Moon that didn't have a wacko translation, I just always expect it to be there.

I think my favorite is still the midwife from the first game (SNES), when she says "Congratulations! It's a girl! Please name him."

...needless to say, that baby got a unisex name ¬_¬

Diachromatic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:00:39 pm »
I did some work on this game a bit ago. Slowed down trying to figure out the pointer format. Game is formatted very strangely, but very straight forward.

Let me know if you need any help!

Haha yeah, I have no idea how that works so far. For the moment I've been working within the constraints of that system. Thankfully this project requires mostly diligence instead of experimentation.

As another point - should I make some incomplete patches as I work? Or should I wait until I can declare it significantly complete to publish anything like that?

As for help, it would be fantastic if I could get people searching out errors in text at higher friendship levels, especially for the romance options - currently I am working on Elli's route.