logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!  (Read 130200 times)

frantik

• View Profile
Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - Released!
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:19:54 am »
2011 UPDATE: GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED!! See page 18

I've been working on this SMB hack for a rediculously long time now. I made a simple graphics and level hack in 2004 called Super Mario 5000.. after that I started learning assembly and started on a more ambitious new hack "Super Mario Forever" Well I cursed myself by naming it after Duke Nukem Forever cause I got stuck in development lol.  Recently I started working on it again, only to discover there is already another hack named SMForever so I chose a new name Super Mario Unlimited.

Some current and planned features include:

* 32 all new levels (31 completely unique levels) with fun and attractive layouts ranging from easy to somewhat challenging. [update july 2008:  now 40 completely unique levels with twice as many objects and enemies as SMB]
* Themed worlds with different palettes and looks (Mushroom kingdom, desert, ocean, mountain top, lower sky, upper sky, outer fortress, inner fortress) [update 2008: Mushroom kingdom, desert, ocean, mountains, cliffs, clouds, Bowser's sewer, Bowser's fortress]
* Tweaked controls including super stomp jump like in smb3/smw, faster running and quicker acceleration which means the ability to jump farther as well.
* Two new power ups: stopwatch (freezes enemies like from smb2) and Mushroom retainer idol (gives invulnerability for a while)
* Unlimited lives
* Collect 100 coins for invincibility (this is good for those levels which you just can't beat.. eventually you collect 100 coins and can get past tough spots)
* All new graphics and backgrounds (no more ugly bricks at all!) with animation
* Many other changes and tweaks

Level design is about 1/3 complete, and I've got some more assembly hacking to do as well.  I'm sure I'll mess with the graphics a bit more before it's released as well but right now I'm pretty happy with it; I just need to keep working on it :D.  I'm hoping to finish before summer 2008 depending on how much time I have and how many features I want to implement.

Here are some recent screen shots :)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:16:18 pm by frantik »

YoshiRPG

• View Profile
    • Martin Garrity Innovations - Ebay Store
Re: Super Mario Unlimited (SMB) - In progress
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:31:29 am »
Nice I like those new graphics and the new colors, now is this going to be a hard type hack, where only the best SMB could play it.

Either way it will be something to look forward to.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:00:39 am »
now is this going to be a hard type hack, where only the best SMB could play it.

No it will start out easy and get progressively harder just like a real SMB game :)  I want the average person to be able to play and enjoy it. 

YoshiRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:03:37 am »
Thats what I thought so, just wanted to confirm that, what about the Warp Zones are you going to make use of the warp zones.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:28:03 am »
Yeah the warp zones will be included :)

YoshiRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 01:42:00 am »
* Two new power ups: stopwatch (freezes enemies like from smb2) and Mushroom retainer idol (gives invulnerability for a while)
* Unlimited lives

the stopwatch sounds like it is new to Super Mario Bros 1, now the Mushroom Retainer idol that sounds like the Starman,

I assume that the Super Mushroom and the Fire Flower will be present in this hack.

Now i think that the Unlimited lives is an unneccesary luxury.

So have you picked an release date yet.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 02:05:18 am »
the stopwatch sounds like it is new to Super Mario Bros 1, now the Mushroom Retainer idol that sounds like the Starman,

I assume that the Super Mushroom and the Fire Flower will be present in this hack.

Now i think that the Unlimited lives is an unneccesary luxury.

So have you picked an release date yet.

Mushroom and fire flower will of course be included.  Stopwatch is new.  Idol is similar to starman only you don't kill enemies.. it's basicaly the same thing that happens right after you get hurt when you flash for a second or two, but you don't get hurt, it lasts longer, and the starman music doesn't play.

Unlimited lives is included to free up the 1up mushroom for stopwatch, plus these days people will just use save states or other cheats anyways.  I'm thinking of seeing if I can implement a lives tally which will display at the end of each level or something, with the goal being to see how low you can keep the tally.  I might just scrap the point system in favor of the life counter actually since it would be easy to do and points arent really important in smb

as far as a release date if i can put it out before summer 2008 i will be happy.  I could be earlier it just depends on how much time i have

YoshiRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 02:59:55 pm »
Let me know if you need some server space to host the website about your hack and to host the hack itself.

I have the domain, www.mgisystems.com and I can give you a sub domain, like smu.mgisystems.com

Just let me know if you are interested.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »
Thanks for the offer but I've got plenty of webspace :)

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 05:18:21 pm »
looking very studly man. There are a million and one smb hacks but I think I'll definitely give this one a whirl when it's done. I like your choice of colors.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

YoshiRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 05:26:43 pm »
Indeed, now would it be possible to make it so that there could be more than just levels 1-1 to 8-4, because the more levels you have the better, or you could of course make a sequel,

and would it be possible to make it so that you can go back, like scroll to the left.

That would be cool too.  :)

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 06:55:16 pm »
Indeed, now would it be possible to make it so that there could be more than just levels 1-1 to 8-4, because the more levels you have the better, or you could of course make a sequel,

and would it be possible to make it so that you can go back, like scroll to the left.

Well I've only got like 11 levels which are mostly finalized right now so I don't want any more haha.   It will already have more unique levels than SMB though :D  (smb repeats like 4 or 5 different levels)  As for going to the left I agree that would be cool but waaaay beyond my level of hacking skill.  The features you mention are the reason SMB3 exists lol.. ;)

Panzer thanks for the kind words  :)

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 02:48:29 am »

you've got a point, but hold on, he hasn't even released the first one yet :)
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:51 pm »
First video preview of Super Mario Unlimited - showing off my new end of level trigger as well as some other goodies :) :woot!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUP7Dl0k7gk 

YoshiRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:57 pm »
Wow those graphics look really good for a NES game, it all looks great so far.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 04:42:15 am »
See the stopwatch in action :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjvUdSVBGf8

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »
Love the videos frantik, the stopwatch rocks! ^^'  :cookie:
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 05:22:12 pm »
w00t I finally solved a major problem with the stop watch power up :D before if you would touch the side of a brick or pipe or whatever it would institute a 'scroll lock' until the stopwatch ran out..  i finally figured out how to stop it so now I can use the stopwatch in more areas.  you'll notice in the 1st stop watch vid it's a very open level... i mostly did this so that it would be hard to bump into things while the stop watch was in effect but now i dont have to do that :)

anyways not very exciting to anybody else im sure but it makes me happy so i decided to post bout it in here lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:17:48 pm by frantik »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 10:29:44 am »
deep inside the desert pyramid

insectduel

• View Profile
    • Insectduel's Domain
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 02:48:02 pm »
How long did you SMB1 Hack. I really like your ideas. THIS IS EXACTLY that kind of any SMB1 Hacks in my SMB/Megaman Site should be in my collector's page. But I've been lazy to upload more SMB1 Hacks and improvement patches on the spot.

I've also SMB2J Hack besides SMB1. But I'm still angry that my recent completed SMB2J Plus 2 project couldn't reach my own webpage due to computer failure. I hope I get WinXP and save my hard drive this Christmas year.

Good luck finishing it or add new ideas frantik.