2011 UPDATE: GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED!! See page 18
I've been working on this SMB hack for a rediculously long time now. I made a simple graphics and level hack in 2004 called Super Mario 5000.. after that I started learning assembly and started on a more ambitious new hack "Super Mario Forever" Well I cursed myself by naming it after Duke Nukem Forever cause I got stuck in development lol. Recently I started working on it again, only to discover there is already another hack named SMForever so I chose a new name Super Mario Unlimited.
Some current and planned features include:
* 32 all new levels (31 completely unique levels) with fun and attractive layouts ranging from easy to somewhat challenging. [update july 2008: now 40 completely unique levels with twice as many objects and enemies as SMB]
* Themed worlds with different palettes and looks (Mushroom kingdom, desert, ocean, mountain top, lower sky, upper sky, outer fortress, inner fortress) [update 2008: Mushroom kingdom, desert, ocean, mountains, cliffs, clouds, Bowser's sewer, Bowser's fortress]
* Tweaked controls including super stomp jump like in smb3/smw, faster running and quicker acceleration which means the ability to jump farther as well.
* Two new power ups: stopwatch (freezes enemies like from smb2) and Mushroom retainer idol (gives invulnerability for a while)
* Unlimited lives
* Collect 100 coins for invincibility (this is good for those levels which you just can't beat.. eventually you collect 100 coins and can get past tough spots)
* All new graphics and backgrounds (no more ugly bricks at all!) with animation
* Many other changes and tweaks
Level design is about 1/3 complete, and I've got some more assembly hacking to do as well. I'm sure I'll mess with the graphics a bit more before it's released as well but right now I'm pretty happy with it; I just need to keep working on it
. I'm hoping to finish before summer 2008 depending on how much time I have and how many features I want to implement.
Here are some recent screen shots