News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Blaster Master: Pimp your Ride  (Read 13210 times)

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
Re: ROM Hacks: Blaster Master: Pimp your Ride
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 12:40:24 am »
You unlock your weapons after beating levels 1, 3, and 5.  Also, and unless you are a weapon horder, if you beat levels 2, 4, and 6, your ammo capcity increases.

As for the locks, yeah I will fix then.  Actually I allready have.  I can't believe I put them in.

But I want a list of things to improve on before I start making more changes.  I don't want to release patch after patch.  I know some people want all the levels to be altered more drastically.  That is going to take a buttload of time.  As it stands the hack itself is techincally complete, as the focus was on the ASM hacks.  I might also consider releasing an unaltered hack with the new upgrade system ready for ASM hackers to play arround with.  I could even use it to make a tutorial to help newbie hackers.

Earl

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 01:58:50 am »
After getting all the standard upgrades and the two new ones already mentioned here, I'm not sure what to do next. I would guess the flashy-dash is a key to access something else, but after combing the levels nothing seems obvious. The only place I can think of that I haven't gone back to is the very beginning, but I don't remember anything special way up there.

You know how stage 5 has that big stretch where you're out of the tank? In that area, if you put something behind blocks the Crusher could get through, you'd only be able to access it once you picked up Wall 1 (which you need to get through the tunnel). Stage 5 was always kind of a dead area, which is a shame because you hardly ever got to use Dive in the original game. But if you wanted to put something between levels 6 and 7, that seems like the easiest ready-made spot.

But seriously, if/when you release a patch, is there any way you could allow a player to toggle the Wall abilities? Once you pick those up, some jumps become a serious pain in the ass.

And since I didn't say it already, thanks for the hack. Any excuse to play Blaster Master again.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 12:40:14 am »
If you got all the standard upgrades, your next step is in stage 2.  Yes, you do need to go back to the beginning.

As for level 5, that's a good idea.  Actually, you need wall 2 to get into that dive space.  I don't know if I can make the wall upgardes toggleble, but maybe there is some way.

Earl

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 05:00:21 am »
With that nudge, everything else fell into place. If you hadn't said the next thing was in stage 2, I could've looked forever before I figured out how to get to it. Sneaky.

With Wall 1/2, I was mainly worrying about the room in stage 8 with all the spikes and dropping worms. In the original game, those jumps were a bitch and I usually didn't have the hover to spare to make it painless, but I see now that two of your upgrades make that moot.

Very cool hack.

kuwanger

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 11:23:39 pm »
Yea, this is a rather cool hack.  I think I've figured out all the functions of the new add-ons, but I'm not sure.  Here's what I have:

Code: [Select]
3f0 - 76543210
    - xxxxxxxx
      ||||||||-unlimited hover (must have some hover energy)
      |||||||--tank shot passes through walls
      ||||||---faster tank shot/"double" shot
      |||||----tank protected from spikes (outer world)
      ||||-----protected while boosting
      |||------hold b for tank to "run"/boost
      ||-------jason runs/protected from spikes (inner world)
      |--------jason can shoot through special blocks (outer world)

I haven't looked through the whole modification so far, but I'm rather impressed with some of the add-ons.  The only real suggestion I could add is possibly tweaking the underwater physics a bit, especially with boost enabled.

deepdvd

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 12:16:39 pm »
I just found this hack, and it's INCREDIBLE

Blaster Master was/is my favorite NES game by a long way, so finding a "second quest" is a holy grail for me.

Even though this was a just a tutorial hack, I hope that it isn't a dead project and has further updates!