News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 96410 times)

rainponcho

• View Profile
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »
Well, I Garrett aka Pennywise have my own site, but it badly needs a complete redesign and hasn't been updated in years. aishsha translated Traverse and he's got his usual blog site. And LostTemplar used to have a site, but that died recently. I've been working like hell the past year and hardly have any free time these days, so I haven't been very active anyways. If I do ever post anything translation related, it's either on RHDN or on my Youtube channel.

Any chance you'd be interested in attempting a VWF for Metal Slader Glory for the SFC? I'm about to release a translation for the NES version and the translator wouldn't mind tackling the SNES version. Extraction and insertion of the text is no problem, but a font hack would be cool. I remember you did take a look at it for someone else and said that VRAM was nuts or something...

ROMDonatas

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:10 am »
Good day Garrett aka Pennywise. I am very interested in your progress of translating Dead zone for NES, because I want to play this game and at this moment you are my only chance. So if I could take some of your time I would like you to answer me a few questions:
1. When did you started this project?
2. How much approximately % of work you have accomplished so far?
3. When do you think you will finish this project, what is the approximate date of finish?
4. What is the worst case scenario date of finish?
Thank you for your work and your answers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:56:41 am by ROMDonatas »

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »
Good day Garrett aka Pennywise. I am very interested in your progress of translating Dead Zone for NES.

I looked up Dead Zone because I was curious, and the whole script is in katakana. Sweet Jesus.  :'(
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
Good day Garrett aka Pennywise. I am very interested in your progress of translating Dead zone for NES, because I want to play this game and at this moment you are my only chance. So if I could take some of your time I would like you to answer me a few questions:
1. When did you started this project?
2. How much approximately % of work you have accomplished so far?
3. When do you think you will finish this project, what is the approximate date of finish?
4. What is the worst case scenario date of finish?
Thank you for your work and your answers.

Gotta love random people on the internet asking for information I've already publicly stated and for asking questions that I can't possibly answer. But what's surprising is that there's a Dead Zone fan out there, but they probably don't know how terrible it is. Ok, it probably wasn't terrible for its time considering it was on the first text adventures on consoles, but it's still outdated as fuck.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2017, 09:33:52 pm »
About that time again. Might as well list the status of all my various projects.

Oni II - Script translated and inserted. All misc text inserted, most menus hacked except for jutsu stuff. Still needs lots of polish in general.

Oni III - Script extracted. Maybe translated?

Destiny of an Emperor GB - Haven't touched this in like 3 years. Reverse-engineered graphic compression and loaded uncompressed graphics. Main font graphics still compressed and not hacked yet. Hacked lotsa menus, think I stopped at the shops. I'll get back to it eventually.

Noobow - I saw an article for this game on HG101 months back and decided I wanted to hack it. Eien ni Hen's translating the script and once that's done, only graphics remain. Very easy project technically speaking.

Banishing Racer - Another bizarre little GB game starring an anthropomorphic car. Credits translated and needs a title screen and a few misc graphics.

Tenjin Kaisen - Japanese version of Mercenary Force. I'm doing this project because I want to translate the sequel on the GB. So might as well start with the original. It's hacked to display more text, but there seems to be some timing issue that is preventing all my text from being displayed. Gonna have to look into the GB hardware and rewrite some routines to improve them.

Dead Zone - Haven't worked on this since the summer. Script's translated, but still needs to be edited. Hacking this game is torture and it really makes me question why I do this shit. But alas someone has translated the script and I owe it to them to finish the job.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »
I thought Retro-Bit or whoever it was that made the recent Jaleco multicarts had announced a GB multicart with Banishing Racer on it. I wonder what happened to that and if there had been plans to localize that. But I guess at this point it would be no more "official" than a fan translation anyways since the legal rights to the company were transferred a few years ago, which I guess means the original was thus effectively dead?

Certainly a cute game and one I'd like to have owned but is now a terribly expensive game from what I've seen.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2017, 01:50:59 pm »
If it's the same guy/company, I was contacted by him because he wanted he to buy the rights to my Monty on the Run FDS translation. I wasn't rude to him or anything, but he was sketchy on the details and I pointed that out. He then threatened me with a lawsuit or whatever because I declined him. I find it highly unlikely that anyone or company in that whole retro video game production scene has the right connections/skills to find the rights holders for an obscure Japanese video game company that no longer exists and went bankrupt.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2018, 01:09:27 pm »
I've never had computer trouble before, but my poor laptop is literally falling apart. The screen's cracked, the sound hardware's damaged and I'm pretty sure either the hard drive or something else important is about to fail. But the good news is I've had a fancy Surface Pro as my backup for some time now. Plus all my hacking stuff is stored on the Cloud, so easy transition! I don't think I'll be buying an ASUS again though. Computer's only like 3 years old and while I didn't pay a fortune for it, it just doesn't seem that durable. I gave my mom my Toshiba Satellite years back and it's like 10 years old and still works. Anyway, update time.

Metal Slader Glory - This is actually finished. Though the translator might still want to do one last playthrough to check the script out. Anyhow, what most likely will happen is that I'll be writing an extensive piece on the game/franchise and I'll release the translation and article at the same time. Plus there'll be a translated manual to alongside the patch.

Jajamaru Ninpou Chou - Jajamaru RPG for the Famicom that's known for the incomplete prototype ROM of Taro's Quest. This is actually finished, tested etc and soon to be released, but the ROM was expanded past the mapper limitation. That little fact doesn't bother me or aishsha and will be released as-is.

Knight Gundam - The very first Knight Gundam RPG on the NES and this is technically complete as well, but it still has to go through a hefty revision process as I play the game. This game was also expanded past the mapper limitation, but aishsha and I are not bothered by it as well.

I have another unannounced, soon-to-be released translation that I will be unveiling very soon.

There is also another unannounced, soon-to-be released translation that will be very left-field and quite unexpected.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »
the ROM was expanded past the mapper limitation. That little fact doesn't bother me or aishsha and will be released as-is.
What will the practical consequences of this be? In other words, can it only be played in certain emulators and not on real hardware?

If it's a relatively trivial expansion, could a new mapper be defined that would allow for non-hacky emulation and playing on flash carts?

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2018, 04:21:57 pm »
Metal Slader Glory - This is actually finished. Though the translator might still want to do one last playthrough to check the script out. Anyhow, what most likely will happen is that I'll be writing an extensive piece on the game/franchise and I'll release the translation and article at the same time. Plus there'll be a translated manual to alongside the patch.

I am very much looking forward to playing your team's patch when it is released. I was just reading Peter Barnard's translation of some Metal Slader Glory interviews over at Shumplations and I'm even more excited to finally experience this interesting piece of HAL's history. Are you guys planning on releasing the patch on or around August 30th? Would be fun to have the patch released on the game's 27th anniversary.

Anyway, good luck on this and all your other projects, announced or otherwise.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #250 on: August 04, 2018, 04:43:08 pm »
So, the particular expansion was done by Djinn years and years ago and since this project is quite old, I completely forgot about it and I discovered it after the translation went through a round of testing. I really haven't tested on many other emulators, but it works on FCEUX. I mean support for other emulators is really quite trivial. All they need to do is allow an extra PRG bit to be available for the mapper. It's literally just a small change and the same thing goes for flashcarts as well. I say who cares there wasn't a board at the time with the expanded specs. The NES don't care about any of that stuff.

Anyhow, I'll make a note of all that when it's released and will provide source files to anyone interested in a mappper hack. If someone can hack the translation to be another mapper, I'll incorporate it into our work. Btw, someone did actually hack the Japanese game to be mapper 68, but it's not incorporated into the translation.

The same thing applies for Knight Gundam, which is another old project of ours. That uses mapper 185 iirc and doing a mapper hack for that one probably isn't possible. Again, really trivial to add support for the translation. As aishsha said to me if he had to choose being a purist over a full script, he would choose the later every time. I agree with him 100%.

Funnily enough, my Megami Tensei translation also expands the ROM past the mapper limit, but that is supported by flashcarts etc and other emulators like puNES. It highlights my point on how trivial this stuff is.

Now you have the Final Fantasy 3 translation where the mapper was changed to MMC5, but the hack is buggy. It would be much easier to just ignore those dumb limitations and make the ROM however big you want.

I am very much looking forward to playing your team's patch when it is released. I was just reading Peter Barnard's translation of some Metal Slader Glory interviews over at Shumplations and I'm even more excited to finally experience this interesting piece of HAL's history. Are you guys planning on releasing the patch on or around August 30th? Would be fun to have the patch released on the game's 27th anniversary.

Anyway, good luck on this and all your other projects, announced or otherwise.

I didn't know about the release date thing, but I don't have an exact date in mind. Btw, Peter Barnard is the translator for the game, if you didn't realize it.

I'd also like to point out it's currently not possible to play Metal Slader Glory on hardware due to no board existing that can handle the PRG-ROM size, which was expanded to 1MB and also happens to be the max size limit of an MMC5 game. I might be talking out of my ass here, but I bet someone could design and produce a board/flashcart that could handle a 5MB NES ROM. Sort of like a MSU-1 version for the NES.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:13:15 pm by Pennywise »

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 04, 2018, 10:16:44 pm »
Yeah, I was aware that Barnard was the translator for Metal Slader Glory. In fact I remember him commenting on a list I made on Giantbomb, that mentioned Metal Slader, where he told me he was translating the game. That was almost 6 years ago. Very cool to finally see the patch so close to being finished.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #252 on: August 04, 2018, 11:17:35 pm »
I am very much looking forward to playing your team's patch when it is released.

I'm looking forward to this too. I only ran across the game in the past year or two as I was looking for interesting Famicom games that still don't have fan translations. This stuck out due to its impressive visuals for the platform. Plus it's normally fun to translate text adventures. I'll definitely get the word out, and give this a whirl when it comes out.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2018, 01:26:34 pm »
I noticed that there's a placeholder page up for Metal Slader Glory up on the main site! Since you mentioned it was already complete anyway, I'd assume it'll probably be out fairly soon, huh? I'm excited to finally play it, and I've got a bunch of friends who are also looking forward to it as well.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2018, 04:06:32 pm »
I'm looking forward to this too. I only ran across the game in the past year or two as I was looking for interesting Famicom games that still don't have fan translations. This stuck out due to its impressive visuals for the platform. Plus it's normally fun to translate text adventures. I'll definitely get the word out, and give this a whirl when it comes out.

The depths of the library are something else. I'm still surprised to learn of licensed Famicom games, no one has mentioned on RHDN. Whether in regard to a translation or any other context.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2018, 01:34:44 pm »
I noticed that there's a placeholder page up for Metal Slader Glory up on the main site! Since you mentioned it was already complete anyway, I'd assume it'll probably be out fairly soon, huh? I'm excited to finally play it, and I've got a bunch of friends who are also looking forward to it as well.

Well, uploading release materials can be a pain in the butt sometimes, especially when there's several translations about to be released around the same time. All I have to do now is just upload the archive when it's ready.

God Slayer was announced not too long ago and that's pretty much done, too. Testing should begin very soon.

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2018, 03:17:47 pm »
the only game I'd love to see is a translation of law of the west. I loved that game on the C64