News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 82684 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »
Of course. I've been in contact with him and he seems pleased with the results so far.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:10 pm »
Of course. I've been in contact with him and he seems pleased with the results so far.

I'm glad to hear that! I played it a few months ago and was surprised by how well-done it was. :) With a few fixes it'll be even better.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2010, 12:50:40 am »
One of the things that surprised me was that he had the dedication and motivation to completely translate a game. These days that sort of thing isn't common place especially without hardly any outside help. Progress on my front is going excellent. Virtually all hacking appears to be complete and the biggest obstacle now is expanding and reinserting the script. I start with the intro and I'll probably have some screenshots soon.

The text is near-final and I also encountered a bug with the DTE routine. Luckily I was able to squash it and hopefully nothing more of the sort pops up.

Part of the tutorial re-done.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:49:09 pm by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »
Might as well update this thread before it gets too far back.

Hopefully I'll have another release before the end of August. I've got the game like 95% finished. There's just some brief ending text to do and fix up some engrish. Also have to find certain text in-game to format, edit and adjust the timing for.

Castle Quest, I think I finished hacking this game a month or two ago and now the text needs to be expanded etc. However, all the pointers are hard-coded and I've been planning to create to an atlas script file to make the insertion process much easier. Either way, lots of work involved.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2010, 08:56:46 pm »
Well I guess time for a update.

I was finally able to finish my very old and of my first projects in Mirai Shinwa Jarvas. Glad that one's finished now.

I've made some awesome progress on Dragon Ball Dai Maou Fukkatsu. I've probably inserted about 95% of all the text. The last 5% is the main script I couldn't fit and it's probably the last significant issue left. The problem is that half the PRG-ROM is hardwired and that the text + pointer tables take up like 95% of the space available to me, which is half the PRG-ROM. I've already got DTE, but I'm probably going to do some hypothetical tests with DTE + dictionary to see if I can fit all the script in.

Castle Quest has been collecting dust and it's a shame because I've done a ton of work on that one. It would be so much easier setting up an insertion system if all the pointers weren't hard-coded. At this point scripts for insertion still need to be made.

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 04:10:13 am »
Castle Quest is looking really good!

Do you by chance know who did this?
It's quite complete but with annoying minor bugs (Z and X appearing on text boxes etc.) and an untranslated title screen...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:35 am »
I think Pennywise was fixing up the translation you linked to.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 05:29:40 pm »
That's correct, but fixing it up isn't quite the right term. I already fixed most if not all of the issues of the old patch, but I'm doing a complete overhaul of the script. It's the same type of thing with Jesus whom I'm working with Niahak on.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »
I have a bunch of screenshots to post, so I'll use this thread. I suppose everyone knows how this story ends, so it shouldn't be a spoiler.

This happens to be the first time I expanded a ROM and created a custom swapping routine. Works like a charm and I have reached a goal I set a long time ago. I see two games that can benefit from this new knowledge of mine and at least one has a translator waiting.

In other news, I dumped three scripts for Crystalis/Godslayer and have sent them off for a comparison. If the official translation turns out to be quite bad, I will take up another project. The word is that they did a good job translating the game.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:06:22 pm by Pennywise »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2011, 04:04:28 pm »
How about Xexyz/Kame no Ongaeshi?

I don't know how much of the game was changed, but sprites were changed from turtles to other stuff and the ending was definitely butchered. The Japanese version gives you 3 choices to end the game, the USA one gives you one ending by default.

Or Street Fighter 2010, which had the story changed for the USA version too.

Or Kaettekita Mario Bros. for the FDS.

Or Meta Fight (Blaster Master).

Or Rampart, which was made by Konami in Japan and it looks and plays much better. It has a cool story mode too.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »
If I had the time, I'd do all those games. Plus I'm of the feeling that I've picked up too many projects recently. That Blaster Master game doesn't really need a translation. I'm pretty sure the only thing in japanese is the title screen, but that hasn't stopped me before.

Aside from DB2, which is in the final stages, I have:

Castle Quest
Jesus
Gyruss (FDS)
Spelunker 2 (hacking it from scratch)
Pocket Zaurus (joint project with DvD)

Actually that's not that big of a list when compared to other people. I'll be picking up another game after DB2 is finished that has a translator attached and needs to be translated at some point just because. I also have another project that I'm waiting to hear back from a potential translator on whether or not he wants to translate the whole script.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2011, 12:44:48 am »
No prob. Just throwing names out there just in case.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2011, 04:25:19 am »
Whatever you choose to do next, I look forward to seeing your translations. :)
And I'll leave it at that!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2011, 04:21:45 pm »
Good news with Dragon Ball. I've finished all my necessary code hacks and am currently on my final playthrough to polish my work. I must that this will probably be my best work to date. In other news, I figured out the font storage for Gyruss which turned out to be a form of RLE and I believe I have also have decomp/recomp for it. I'll get to that game after DB.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2011, 05:43:16 pm »
Good news indeed.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2011, 12:10:46 pm »
I think you should do Gyruss next. ;)

I just played the game again for the NES, & apparently the FDS version has a full ending! :o
And I'll leave it at that!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »
Been a while since the last post.

Been neglecting Castle Quest for a while. I was able to compile most of the text with Atlas for the non-battle stuff. I just need to finalize the text and re-insert everything. I might end up doing a preview video for this one soon.

JESUS has 1/3 of script finished and the text that I have has been inserted with an untested bank swap hack. I just need to work up the effort to format and edit everything accordingly. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I was partially able to reverse engineer the compression on the title screen. Now all I need to do is sit down and learn its secrets and/or get someone to figure out the rest and write me up an util.

Dragon Ball is proving to be much more of a pain in the ass than I thought it would be. The text is stored all in one convenient location, but the pointers aren't. Some of them are even hard-coded, bah! Also the game doesn't use line breaks and the number of lines per screen appears to be pre-determined. Currently trying to figure that last bit out so I can expand the amount of text per screen, say from 1 line to 2 lines. Trying to find what I'm looking for has turned out to be much more time consuming than I want it to be.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:53 am »

Trying to find what I'm looking for has turned out to be much more time consuming than I want it to be.

Isn't it always? :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »
Well I've basically figured out the event data for Dragon Ball and it's a pain in the ass to work with. It seems that one pointer can only handle 3 lines of text. My options are I leave it alone, expand the pointer table and event data to accommodate for more strings, or maybe increase it to 4 lines of text. Either way I'm probably going to end up expanding the ROM and might as expand everything as necessary. So more strings, more pointers and more event data it looks like for the future.

Next up appears to be Parodius and afterwards maybe I'll finish Gyruss.

Edit: I successfully expanded the ROM for Dragon Ball and have relocated the event data and the pointers. Still have a few odds 'n ends to work on, but Dragon Ball is almost good to go.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:08:46 pm by Pennywise »

safaribans

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:10 am »
I think this was suggested a couple of years back, but how about Kame no Ongaeshi - Urashima Densetsu?
It was released as Xexyz with many graphical changes, some endings removed, and the story line trashed.

3rd post here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/587791-xexyz/49533745

Includes translation of items and ending summaries.

Anyway, excellent work on these translations, everytime you release one, that is the next game I'll play for nes/fds.

EDIT: Great to hear! I look forward to it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:48:32 pm by safaribans »