News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 101370 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2009, 11:36:26 pm »
Ganbare Goemon 2 is finished. Well pretty much done except for the credits, which I'm waiting on some graphics to be done for it. Assuming I can get them within a week or so, this will be released on the 13th. Other wise it'll have to wait.

I have two more releases planned before the year is up. The first'll probably be the final patch for Jarvas and the second will be Jajamaru, which aishsha is currently translating. I pretty much took care of a good chunk of the hacking work by coding a DTE routine and now it's just a matter translating and inserting the script.

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 12:57:58 am »
Awesome, Jajamaru looks really good!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »
Spent the last day or so working on perfecting Goemon. Small refinements while basically waiting for the credits to be designed. I also have been doing preliminary work on Mad City and Captain Silver. Got the text dumped for both of them and Mad City looks like a pretty easy hack by Konami standards. Captain Silver on the otherhand... I'll post the text routine for it.

Code: [Select]
$B4F2:A9 01     LDA #$01                   A:A5 X:02 Y:00 P:NvUbdIzc
$B4F4:8D 36 05  STA $0536 = #$00           A:01 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIzc
$B4F7:A0 00     LDY #$00                   A:01 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIzc
$B4F9:8C 86 03  STY $0386 = #$08           A:01 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIZc
$B4FC:B1 12     LDA ($12),Y @ $A585 = #$00 A:01 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIZc
$B4FE:C9 FF     CMP #$FF                   A:00 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIZc
$B500:F0 41     BEQ $B543                  A:00 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIzc
$B502:85 50     STA $0050 = #$00           A:00 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIzc
$B504:C8        INY                        A:00 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIzc
$B505:B1 12     LDA ($12),Y @ $A586 = #$00 A:00 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIzc
$B507:85 51     STA $0051 = #$00           A:00 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIZc
$B509:A9 02     LDA #$02                   A:00 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIZc
$B50B:8D 85 03  STA $0385 = #$00           A:02 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIzc
$B50E:8C 25 03  STY $0325 = #$01           A:02 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIzc
$B511:98        TYA                        A:02 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIzc
$B512:38        SEC                        A:01 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIzc
$B513:E9 01     SBC #$01                   A:01 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIzC
$B515:A8        TAY                        A:00 X:02 Y:01 P:nvUbdIZC
$B516:B9 D5 B5  LDA $B5D5,Y @ $B5D5 = #$A3 A:00 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIZC
$B519:85 2C     STA $002C = #$C0           A:A3 X:02 Y:00 P:NvUbdIzC
$B51B:B9 D6 B5  LDA $B5D6,Y @ $B5D6 = #$24 A:A3 X:02 Y:00 P:NvUbdIzC
$B51E:85 2D     STA $002D = #$27           A:24 X:02 Y:00 P:nvUbdIzC
$B520:20 16 E3  JSR $E316                  A:24 X:02 Y:00

The game doesn't really use control codes. Instead it loads individual character positions from a table. On top of that, I originally thought the game's script might've used 2-byte encoding, but it turns out that the first value read is the dakuten.

http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/CaptainSilver/CaptainSilver.html
http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/MadCity/MadCity.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:14:49 pm by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2009, 01:55:59 pm »
Well, now is as good as a time as ever to bump this thread.

Finally finished Goemon 2 and the subsequent update patch. Need to get a start on Goemon Gaiden 2 eventually.

Finished work on Jajamaru Gekimaden, but just waiting for the translator to write up the readme.

Started work on Contra and have finished all aspects of the hacking minus the title screen, which needs to be done yet.

Most of the translation for Mad City has been completed. The official translation for Bayou will be used because it's not bad. Too bad they made it too hard and left out a bunch of text/endings.

And the translation for Captain Silver is complete. Now I just need to hack the text routine.

Also I did a DTE hack for that Jesus Bio Monster game and have sent a preliminary script dump to Niahak. For those wondering, Niahak had to cut down his script quite a bit. I'm hoping to offer a 2.0 patch.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2009, 10:51:45 am »
Awesome!

Question: Why Goemon Gaiden 2 and not part 1 first?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2009, 11:59:46 am »
I dunno, maybe I checked out 2 first. Doesn't really matter, even though I have a translator, I still haven't sent him the scripts for the game. Hopefully I'll get him the scripts soon, but at the latest I'm thinking a release would happen in late 2010 at the earliest.

I feel like I'm losing a bit of motivation, but I'm gonna try and focus on the final patch for Jarvas and Mad City.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2009, 12:50:40 pm »
That happens.

After working many months non stop, you eventually lose that drive. You'll probably spend the next months focusing on something else and then come back full force with more patches.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:00 pm »
Might as well update.

Been working on Jarvas again and once again am annoyed by it. The main dialogue block uses like three different text routines, which is making insertion a pain in the ass as those other text routines don't use DTE.

Jigoku's also being a pain in the ass. Each line for the text clearing routine is its own routine and I need to JSR out and add a new section of code so that the 5th line is cleared among other things.

I broke the non-dialogue stuff for Mad City a while back and I recently discovered the problem and need to do a code branch, but I need to pick a variable for it to branch on. I tried using where the low-byte of the pointer is stored in RAM, but it appears that that address is overwritten by the time the code executes. I'm thinking maybe writing the low-byte to an unused address in RAM though.

Working on another small project. Hi no Tori Wagaou no Bouken and have everything that needs to be translated. This game uses some kind of compression for the tiles, which I've actually located and now trying to figure out the compression completely.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2009, 05:05:52 pm »
Hi no Tori.  :P
Konami has left me wondering if it's buggy or just badly designed (especially by their standards). I mean, the invisibility powerup that makes it easy to get stuck in a wall.
I distinctly remember a river stage. I tried to go for a life recovery power-up in a tree, and it caused the fish generator (like in SMB) to be left on for the boss fight.
I also remember pausing, and somehow ending up with a hexadecimal score. :D
Well, good luck on that game. :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2009, 05:25:01 pm »
Lol, I spent a chunk of time playing through the first 7 or so stages over and over again thinking that I was progressing in the game when in fact I was just wasting my time. Even with a walkthrough I didn't realize that there's a hidden door to the next era after you clear the 7th stage and start over on the 1st stage. I figured I might as well hack it since I've got some time invested in it. Title screen will probably a pain in the ass to hack though. Stored in a odd and the tile map's probably compressed.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2009, 08:12:56 pm »

Jigoku's also being a pain in the ass. Each line for the text clearing routine is its own routine and I need to JSR out and add a new section of code so that the 5th line is cleared among other things.

Now I understand why you said there are no easy hacks.

KrakenSoup

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »
Wow I wasn't expecting a font. Regardless I'll try 'er out.

Wait, Beast Busters. Is that that game for the NGPC called Dark Arms? Back when I owned the system that was on my list of games to get along with Bio Motor Unitron, but alas it wasn't meant to be and I pawned my system.

At least your brother didn't steal yours for entertainment on his failing band's road-tour. Only to leave it in Texas.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2010, 02:16:46 pm »
I've got a bunch of useless patch's planned, one of which is already finished.

Sqoon

Sqoon's a pretty repetitive game that was officially translated. There's actually some differences between both versions and it's not really a translation (For a game like Sqoon that isn't necessarily bad). But they did remove the second screenshot.

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »
This looks good, a good classic!

The Ottoto's could be changed to Mermaids, or any other fish-folk. 
Or you could just leave them as is.  :thumbsup:
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »
Well, I like Neptunian's the best, but there isn't enough space for it. At least not for the last screenshot, so I chose Ottoto.

Incidently, another game due for release is Hi no Tori: Gao's Adventure. Graphics decompresed and new graphics recompressed. Now all I need to do is hack the graphics.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 04:08:35 pm »
Well, I like Neptunian's the best, but there isn't enough space for it. At least not for the last screenshot, so I chose Ottoto.

Incidently, another game due for release is Hi no Tori: Gao's Adventure. Graphics decompresed and new graphics recompressed. Now all I need to do is hack the graphics.
Neptunian can be ambiguous in the way that it could mean "From Neptune" or like people who dwell underneath the water.

However, you could simply refer to them as "Mermen". Please, please, don't leave random Japanese in there if it's translatable. =/

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:06 pm »
Well, it looks like I'm back in action. Spent some time with Castle Quest and have made significant hacking progress. Not retranslating from scratch, but just improving the old patch. Everything single thing in the game appears to be hard-coded, but luckily it appears to be the same way across the board. That include pointers and to make hard-coded pointers less tedious, I coded a DTE routine last night. One of the interesting things about the hack was where I got the free RAM byte. One of the game's developers had his name written in RAM and I just dummied out the code for it. Although I think I might end up putting Ryouichi Ohkubo back in as there's enough room for it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:50:09 pm by Pennywise »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2010, 10:07:47 pm »
The game's not using SRAM, is it?

(I've heard of some games, like Phantasy Star, writing the dev's name to SRAM to indicate it's been initialized.
Though I don't know if they've taken into consideration the battery dying out. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »
Maybe, I dunno. But this is game RAM I'm talking about. His name is written to $C0-CF on startup and removing it appears to have no effect on the game so far.  I'd say it was only done for the sake of doing it.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2010, 02:08:49 am »
Well, it looks like I'm back in action. Spent some time with Castle Quest and have made significant hacking progress. Not retranslating from scratch, but just improving the old patch. Everything single thing in the game appears to be hard-coded, but luckily it appears to be the same way across the board. That include pointers and to make hard-coded pointers less tedious, I coded a DTE routine last night. One of the interesting things about the hack was where I got the free RAM byte. One of the game's developers had his name written in RAM and I just dummied out the code for it. Although I think I might end up putting Ryouichi Ohkubo back in as there's enough room for it.

Does Dustin know about it? I imagine you told him, of course, since you're using his work and all.