News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 96177 times)

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 09:04:36 am »
Here's a title screen for J-League

And I thought that "RESULTS" would be better than "END OF MATCH"

What do you think?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:11 am »
Very nice FlashPV.

Thanks again.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »
Ah yes! I took a look at Cosmic Epsilon and a save state would help me.
I found the graphics but this one will need more work.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »
Check out the Mediafire link in one of the above posts if you haven't found it already. I forgot to put it in the right spot.

I dunno that spinning graphic effect is really wierd and especially how I believe it's stored. It's a tough one.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 04:41:48 am »
I've got something for Cosmic Epsilon but WAY OF THE WIND don't fit so I've translated it by WAY OF WIND.
Here's a video give me your thought.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=WLz35mbErWs

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 01:16:50 pm »
The last one

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 08:06:24 pm »
Might as well resurrect this poor old thread.

Ganbare Goemon 2- Made some good progress on this a while back, but still in the process of playing with the code. I'm hoping to have this wrapped up pretty soon.

Final Mission - This is a game that I've wanted to translate/hack for a few years. I added it as a project a while back and I think I got serious about it a week ago or so and I played through it and got the ending. The only thing that had to be translated was the intro and ending, which are done now. It looks like I'm gonna have to some interesting hacks for it like hack the code for the line break as shifting the text up by a tile seems to throw the line break off, hack when the music starts, which I've never messed with that stuff before and it looks like the timing sequence might have to be hacked. I haven't really ever messed with timing before. Should be interesting.

Also got a new font today. I kinda like it.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:04 pm »
Final Mission is the Japanese version of S.C.A.T - Special Cybernetic Attack Team.

I've noticed some differences in the US version, like a different title screen, different voice sample and a few other screens. I don't know too many differences other than what I stated.
Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 05:41:05 pm »
Yup, not that it matters, but what story there was was replaced by a series of cliches. That's the most noticable difference, but the difficulty in the japanese version also happens to be much harder.  Final Mission is a very hard game and especially for japanese standards.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 05:58:46 pm »
Cool, looking forward to playing it, once you're done with the hacking.
Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 03:11:54 pm »
Alright, time for an update.

Final Mission - I'd like to do a 4th of July release and it looks like I might be able to finish the hacking in time for it. I haven't done anything for a few days now, but one of the one hacks left is to hack the timing of the intro and ending. I've yet to do that and my only clue so far is that it appears that the timing's fixed when changing from screen to screen. It also occured to me that I could increase the text speed, but I don't think that would do the job completely.

Mirai Shinwa Jarvas - I am currently in the midst of finishing up the hacking work for the final patch. So far I've disabled the checksum so I could replace the number tiles, expand some menus and dialogue boxes and I am in the middle (Well I'm at the beginning of the game) of a playthrough to discover if anything needs to be hacked. I will be devoting most of my effort to finish this game. And I'm already having problems figuring out what to do. This will probably be done when I eventually beat the game.

Ganbare Goemon 2 - As much as it pains me, this game is priority #3. Although I might pull it out and do some work on it when I get bored with my other projects every now and then. Assuming I don't hit any roadblocks with this the other two projects, I'm confident that I can finish this game by the end of summer.

And that's what's going on. I actually don't have any other projects right now and it will continue to be that way until at least two are finished. I'll be able my proejcts sooner that way, hopefully.

Update:

Final Mission is now very close to completion. I found the code for the timing and I have the intro (That's where the bulk of the text is)  mostly hacked with one issue remaining for it. I'll be doing the ending next and there's a two things that I have to do in the credits.

Also I'm looking into a hack for Jarvas that's inspired by the fact that that the game doesn't add the weapon and armor stats to the strength and defense stats. I'm pretty sure it doesn't so I'm looking for the data right. Also found out how to progress in the game, but doing so gets me insta-killed by a grey knight of doom. Well, I've got another option on how to proceed though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:21:20 am by Pennywise »

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 02:12:24 pm »
Awesome job for the intro! The wording, fonts, are excellent!  Now all we need is a "let's play" on youtube.  ;D j/k
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2009, 02:56:11 pm »
Yeah, I'd say probably my best work yet. Although I must say that the ending didn't live up to hype the intro created. So about 4 days left until release and if you have a PSP or DS with nes emulators on them, you can blow off your fingers while playing this game at the same time.

Oh, yeah. Might have another release ready in time for the 4th as well, but I'd have to work fast.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:48 pm »
Might as well bump this thread with news.

I finished this NES platformer Power Blazer. It was quick and easy.

Fudou Myouou Den

All technical issues have been solved. Now I have to do some graphic hacking. Currently working on the intro and a "Fin" graphic for the end of the game.

This is just a sample of what the new intro is going to look like. It's done as sprites so I'm limited to 8 characters per line minus spaces between words (I can manually position everything where I want it). I figured a script-like font would fit in nicely and if anyone has any suggestions for a font, I'll take them into consideration.

Jarvas

Been playtesting this game for a while now and I think I've found the source of the warp problems. I spent a great deal of time tracing and following the code back, which led me to the DTE code. That's going to require more investigation.

Tauwasser

• Restricted Access
  • Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2009, 04:21:12 pm »
I think you should center horizontally as well as vertically. And maybe have the English be 3 text lines' height above the Sanskrit.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 10:11:32 pm »
Yah, I'm kinda oddballing it, but I think this should be pretty close to center aside from individually placing everything. Even though the intro is almost finished, I've run into flickering sprite issues. The only sprite limit I know of is eight per line and I haven't exceeded that, so I'm not really sure why it's happening. The outro is the same thing, but done/stored differently. So I'll mess with that next and see if the issue pops up there.

Also got the ending graphic finished except for an issue that's peculiar issue that affects the Taito graphic. I was technically able to fix it, but another issue popped up and still needs investigation.

Hasn't been centered yet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:25:02 pm by Pennywise »

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 03:37:04 am »
Lookin' Good!  :D

Fin = End but you probably knew that!  ;)

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2009, 04:31:00 pm »
Time to bump this beotch.

Fudou Myouou Den

The hacking that needed to be done is now done and one small refinement remains. I expect this to be released in a day or two once I finish it up and start testing.

Ganbare Goemon 2

The small bit of hacking that I had been putting off, I did and as result I've increased my text compression up a notch. Almost there, gotta keep on pushing.

I was considering expanding and moving the dialogue box hence the numbers. Looked into it a bit and it might not be possible cuz it might be part of the background. Probably look into some more. And this next one is part of the ending, if I posted anymore of it, it would spoil the surprise that awaits you.

Other than that the text is stored non-linear, which it makes it a pain in the ass to figure out and also confuses the hell out of me.

Oh yes, one last thing. I was wondering if anyone would like to help me out building a table for another project of mine. It would involve copying and pasting hundreds of dictionary entries.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »
More news!

Well some that I don't exactly like. It seems some Portuguese/Brazilian hackers have released translation patches that modify my work and didn't really credit me or notify me at all. Well, I'm sure this is nothing new, but it pissed me off because I spent a good chunk of time on the programming side of things for Final Mission so the game could have a presentable translation and all they had to do was some basic romhacking. I think I'm going to start including a checksum of sorts in my translations from now on that won't make it so easy to modify my work.

Anyway, onto the projects!

I have mucho screenshots for Jajamaru

I'm working with aishsha on this one. It looks like the intro and ending have been translated and all the interface so far. Title screen is mockup, aishsha will be hacking it in later. Need to finish MTE table and then dump in-game text, which looks pretty sizable, but not that big. I also fixed a bug in my DTE routine and things seem to be going well. And don't mind the translation. I don't think it's final.

Goemon 2

Story completely inserted and working perfectly (Pain in the ass). Working on inserting and formatting the rest of the text. Again pain in the ass.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2009, 09:06:57 pm »
Screenshot time!

Edit:

Need help. Need to find text in-game to make sure everything is working. Dealing with everything on a case-by-case basis to avoid confusion for myself due to odd ways of script and pointer storage. Already found most of the common text and I have one person helping out, but I could always use more help. Also need graphic design...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:13:47 am by Pennywise »