News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 82752 times)

rainponcho

• View Profile
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »
Well, I Garrett aka Pennywise have my own site, but it badly needs a complete redesign and hasn't been updated in years. aishsha translated Traverse and he's got his usual blog site. And LostTemplar used to have a site, but that died recently. I've been working like hell the past year and hardly have any free time these days, so I haven't been very active anyways. If I do ever post anything translation related, it's either on RHDN or on my Youtube channel.

Any chance you'd be interested in attempting a VWF for Metal Slader Glory for the SFC? I'm about to release a translation for the NES version and the translator wouldn't mind tackling the SNES version. Extraction and insertion of the text is no problem, but a font hack would be cool. I remember you did take a look at it for someone else and said that VRAM was nuts or something...

ROMDonatas

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:10 am »
Good day Garrett aka Pennywise. I am very interested in your progress of translating Dead zone for NES, because I want to play this game and at this moment you are my only chance. So if I could take some of your time I would like you to answer me a few questions:
1. When did you started this project?
2. How much approximately % of work you have accomplished so far?
3. When do you think you will finish this project, what is the approximate date of finish?
4. What is the worst case scenario date of finish?
Thank you for your work and your answers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:56:41 am by ROMDonatas »

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »
Good day Garrett aka Pennywise. I am very interested in your progress of translating Dead Zone for NES.

I looked up Dead Zone because I was curious, and the whole script is in katakana. Sweet Jesus.  :'(
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
Good day Garrett aka Pennywise. I am very interested in your progress of translating Dead zone for NES, because I want to play this game and at this moment you are my only chance. So if I could take some of your time I would like you to answer me a few questions:
1. When did you started this project?
2. How much approximately % of work you have accomplished so far?
3. When do you think you will finish this project, what is the approximate date of finish?
4. What is the worst case scenario date of finish?
Thank you for your work and your answers.

Gotta love random people on the internet asking for information I've already publicly stated and for asking questions that I can't possibly answer. But what's surprising is that there's a Dead Zone fan out there, but they probably don't know how terrible it is. Ok, it probably wasn't terrible for its time considering it was on the first text adventures on consoles, but it's still outdated as fuck.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2017, 09:33:52 pm »
About that time again. Might as well list the status of all my various projects.

Oni II - Script translated and inserted. All misc text inserted, most menus hacked except for jutsu stuff. Still needs lots of polish in general.

Oni III - Script extracted. Maybe translated?

Destiny of an Emperor GB - Haven't touched this in like 3 years. Reverse-engineered graphic compression and loaded uncompressed graphics. Main font graphics still compressed and not hacked yet. Hacked lotsa menus, think I stopped at the shops. I'll get back to it eventually.

Noobow - I saw an article for this game on HG101 months back and decided I wanted to hack it. Eien ni Hen's translating the script and once that's done, only graphics remain. Very easy project technically speaking.

Banishing Racer - Another bizarre little GB game starring an anthropomorphic car. Credits translated and needs a title screen and a few misc graphics.

Tenjin Kaisen - Japanese version of Mercenary Force. I'm doing this project because I want to translate the sequel on the GB. So might as well start with the original. It's hacked to display more text, but there seems to be some timing issue that is preventing all my text from being displayed. Gonna have to look into the GB hardware and rewrite some routines to improve them.

Dead Zone - Haven't worked on this since the summer. Script's translated, but still needs to be edited. Hacking this game is torture and it really makes me question why I do this shit. But alas someone has translated the script and I owe it to them to finish the job.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »
I thought Retro-Bit or whoever it was that made the recent Jaleco multicarts had announced a GB multicart with Banishing Racer on it. I wonder what happened to that and if there had been plans to localize that. But I guess at this point it would be no more "official" than a fan translation anyways since the legal rights to the company were transferred a few years ago, which I guess means the original was thus effectively dead?

Certainly a cute game and one I'd like to have owned but is now a terribly expensive game from what I've seen.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2017, 01:50:59 pm »
If it's the same guy/company, I was contacted by him because he wanted he to buy the rights to my Monty on the Run FDS translation. I wasn't rude to him or anything, but he was sketchy on the details and I pointed that out. He then threatened me with a lawsuit or whatever because I declined him. I find it highly unlikely that anyone or company in that whole retro video game production scene has the right connections/skills to find the rights holders for an obscure Japanese video game company that no longer exists and went bankrupt.