News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 89293 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 04:21:47 pm »
I love names like that. What's the game like?

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 09:15:05 pm »
On the outside the game's just an action-rpg, but the menu translation has brought to light a few things I'm not sure how they fit into the game. For example, the senryoku(combat strength) screen. No idea what that's all about. It looks like it belongs in a strategy game. Oh, there's also a few classes (fencer, monk, black mage, explorer) to choose from somepoint in the game I haven't got to yet.

I love names like that.
~DS

This one's pretty neat. I got a pleasant surprise when I googled Zantetsuken. I thought it didn't mean anything.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »
In that case, most people leave that name alone. For example, when Odin is summoned, that's the attack that he performs. Literally, it translates to something like... "Steel Cutting Sword", which, in English, sounds pretty lame. >.>

~DS

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 02:04:06 pm »
It'd be weird for a Norse God to have a Japanese name for his attacks in an English game, don't you think?

I don't see a problem with Steel-bladed Sword.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 02:07:38 pm »
Yeah, but if you change it to "Steel-bladed Sword", you may as well call it a "Steel Sword". Which basically defeats the purpose of it sounding like a badass weapon. >.>

~DS

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 08:28:28 pm »
But to most English speakers, Zantetsuken is just jibberish, even if it sounds cool. You could call it Zakuroken (Pomegranate Sword) and many people would still think it sounded cool... The question is not "which is cool" but "which suits the context"?

Zantetsuken might be appropriate for a samurai character, but if it's being held by a Norse God, then I don't think it's appropriate.When searching for information about the sword that Odin wielded, all I get is either "steel bladed sword" or "Odin's Sword"... Yeah, that's right... Just plain old "sword". Not Odin's Zantetsuken...

Now if I told my friend that I was going to out and buy a zantetsuken, he would have no idea what I was talking about. He doesn't speak Japanese. An English translation is for people who don't speak Japanese.

Karatorian

• "Gotta get get ... 6502"
    • View Profile
    • Studio Karatorian
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »
Well, I don't speak Japanese, but I know what Zantetsuken means 'cause I'm a big Final Fantasy geek. However, I always thought by "steel cutting sword", it meant a sword that could cut steel. As I said, I don't speak Japanese, so I could be very wrong, but that definetly seems more bad arse. I'm not sure I'd translate it myself, but I might just be weird.

As for Odin in Norse myth, as opposed to Japanese CRPGs, he was more of a spear guy. His spear, named Gungnir has all sorts of special powers. His sword is not so special.

I'm so going to have to use the name "Zakuroken" for something, that's too cool. Especially as I like pomegranates.
Current ProjectsFinal Fantasy EngineSMB Special for NESStudio Karatorian
@loop: lda (src),y — sta (dst),y — iny — bne @loop — inc src+1 — inc dst+1 — dex — bne @loop

Deuce

• A forum is nothing without its members.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »
Here's one instance where I think a little creative license must be taken to preserve the spirit, not the letter, of the original Japanese.  While the two Kanji that make up "zantetsu" do mean "cut" and "iron" on their own, they collectively mean "iron-cleaving."  So yes, "Zantetsuken" does mean "blade which cuts through iron."  Certainly clunkier in English than Japanese, but a little thought put into it can convey the same kind of meaning with a little pizzazz.  For instance, the aforementioned "Holy Dragon Sword" is indeed a mouthful... the first thing that pops into my head is "Sacred Wyrmblade" (wyrm, of course, being a common literary term in reference to dragons).

How about, instead of "Zantetsuken," you use something like "Steelrender"?  Most swords of notoriety tend to have their own names, a la Narsil, Hrunting, Excalibur, etc.
It's a shame.  I kind of liked this place.

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 09:43:42 pm »
Well Deuce, you certainly put literal translations to shame. I'll have to try editing the names in the same manner as you did.

Deuce

• A forum is nothing without its members.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 10:06:59 pm »
If you need help, feel free to ask.  By proxy, you made a huge difference in the SSRPG patch, so I owe you one.  :beer:

EDIT: Also... "Ishidan" is most likely "group of doctors."  So maybe "Medics."  "Gurukahei" I'm a little less certain of.  "Kahei" means a small military force.  Battalion, regiment, whichever.  The "guru" in front of it is a little odd.  On its own, it could mean "accomplice" or "cohort."  So maybe "Support Troops"?  Just an idea.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:18:43 pm by Deuce »
It's a shame.  I kind of liked this place.

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 11:12:49 pm »

Progress being made.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:47:22 pm by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 08:28:31 pm »
Small update: a menu patch for Jarvas will be finished tomorrow and probably will be officially on the site Wednesday due to me not having any webspace of my own. There's only a few misc. things to do and I need to make a readme. Hopefully the menu patch will get the attention of a translator so I can release a complete translation in the future.

poliver

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 05:33:16 pm »
yipee  :beer:

i'm waiting for this translation! this game looks very strange and interesting  :woot!:
hope you'll get a translator soon

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 12:34:41 am »

This is a game that I'm working on at the moment. Right now I've run into an issue of screen space and assuming I can shift up the text, I will be releasing a patch within the next few days that translates the intro.

After that there is an ending left and some engrish to clean up. Ideally, I would like people to get to the ending and find the engrish and then send me a savestate of it so I can see it in-game. I don't have the patience or the will to play through what I'd consider a difficult shooter.

BTW, the game's Final Mission and it was released in America/Europe as S.C.A.T./Action in New York with the apocalyptic intro replaced with some stupid cliche intro and the difficulty made easier.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 01:00:37 am by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2008, 05:21:04 pm »
Might as well resurrect this ol topic.

I've got a WIP site, but I'm going to wait to finish it because the structure really isn't my work even though it is very basic. I'd like to ask if it's okay first, but I might as well post the url anyway.

yojimbo.eludevisibility.org

Any takers for designing a site? I don't really know what I'm doing.

As for my projects, I need someone to do some graphics for me and Ganbare Goemon 2 needs someone to translate the tiny script.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 05:56:40 pm »
Maybe I can help here. What kind of graphics do you need to modify?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 06:14:18 pm »
Well, Goemon's got a bunch of graphics. I've yet to go through the game and find all of them, but there's this one.

The sign says hell. That's an easy one, all you have to do is just edit the tiles.

Then there's Cosmic Epsilon, but this one is complicated as shown by the video

It translates to Way of the Wind. I'm pretty sure it is stored in the ROM as this

It's also important to mention that the tiles can't be used individually, they need to be part of a collective whole (Something like that). It's stored in the ROM as 45 46 47 48 49 4A. If you change 45 then you change the first character completely to something else.

Then there's J. League Winning Goal and so far I've found three graphics, one being the title screen (Found where it's stored), and other being two big kanji (Haven't found the data yet) and one more small thing.

It says end of match and I was gonna replace it with just normal tiles, but if I remember correctly it wouldn't be centered properly.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 06:19:49 pm by Pennywise »

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 12:56:54 pm »
Ok the first was easy. I'll make the others when I'll more time.

joshua s

• Buster Machine No. 7
    • View Profile
    • One of my Hobbies...
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »
Your mediafire link to the Goemon script is dead. Have you got it hosted anywhere else?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »
Thanks FlashPV, I'll probably release a small update with that included. I got a few more things done anyways.

It also occured to me that you might want a savestate for Cosmic Epsilon.

I've also got a few more graphics that are easy to replace, but what to put in their stead is somewhat more complicated.

The cupcake is supposed to be pass and the other two see the thread in the script section.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hjmmminyzzz

Yeah, I'm sure that mediafire link died a while ago, but I've got a more permanent host for it now. You can find the dump in the patch archive here.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:22:42 pm by Pennywise »