News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Chrono Trigger Retranslation Patch Released  (Read 36671 times)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: Translations: Chrono Trigger Retranslation Patch Released
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 05:51:25 am »
My only real criticisms are that some text is mistranslated, not just literally translated. That's a bit understandable, but I do have one major quibble.

Jyaki? That really should be Jackie. 'Jyaki' is only valid for the uselessly out of date Romanization scheme Cowering loves so much.

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 06:35:18 am »
We've beaten this to death in at least three other topics. It needs to be left there. Zeality and his crew did a good job to get the script dumped, translated, and inserted. This translation is targeted at a specific audience. It meets that audience's expectations. That does not make it inherently a better or worse approach than any other. This topic will NOT break out in discussion and flames as to whether or not Zeality's approach was a good one or not. This topic is specifically concerned with the end result and any errors that may be present in the final product (like the previously mentioned start screen). Consider this a blanket warning for everyone. Bans may follow.

Zeality, great job to you and everyone else involved on getting this one together and out the door. I know it was a bit of a journey, and congratulations are in order.
Hey, just giving my two cents, I'm not going to argue about it. I'm not concerned who the target audience was, I was just giving an honest criticism from my point of view. I'm not about to argue over something as stupid as honorifics choices, that's childish.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:48:04 am by Rai »

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 08:57:12 am »
We've beaten this to death in at least three other topics. It needs to be left there. Zeality and his crew did a good job to get the script dumped, translated, and inserted. This translation is targeted at a specific audience. It meets that audience's expectations. That does not make it inherently a better or worse approach than any other. This topic will NOT break out in discussion and flames as to whether or not Zeality's approach was a good one or not. This topic is specifically concerned with the end result and any errors that may be present in the final product (like the previously mentioned start screen). Consider this a blanket warning for everyone. Bans may follow.

Zeality, great job to you and everyone else involved on getting this one together and out the door. I know it was a bit of a journey, and congratulations are in order.
Hey, just giving my two cents, I'm not going to argue about it. I'm not concerned who the target audience was, I was just giving an honest criticism from my point of view. I'm not about to argue over something as stupid as honorifics choices, that's childish.

Hey! Let's post about how childish posting about it would be! Oh, wait... ::)

Anyway, congrats on the release, Zeality. :thumbsup: :beer:
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 09:55:16 am »
Didn't really involve hacking, and I don't know the entire story on the Nadia term anyway (because I believe it was supposed to have special significance).

Only relation I can think of is Fushigi no Umi no Nadia/Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.
Holding a mysterious pendant of great, unknown power.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 10:02:33 am »
Only relation I can think of is Fushigi no Umi no Nadia/Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.

Successfully one of the few Gainax heroines I would happily remove from existence. I love the design, but goddamn her philosophy and sophistry annoys the hell out of me.

...I should probably finish watching it, but yeah. After about twenty eps of that, I'd had enough. I've let it sit for a good couple of months again, maybe I could get back into it now? >_>

/offtopic

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 11:13:47 am »
Yeah. There are also a few spelling errors, here and there that could be corrected.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:20 pm »
we should probably post specific spelling errors so that they can fix them... I haven't had the oppertunity to play more than a few minutes yet.

Also, any specific reason you inserted in the US rom over the JAP rom? just because more people already have the US version? are their any differences besides language, and the picture that says sky instead of lightning. amd dark instead of shadow.

if so it'd be interesting to hear about them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:11:09 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »
Because the US ROM already contained an English font?

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 04:43:15 pm »
No other differences, I guess. I listed all the hard changes. The reasons were

1) I'm not a skilled ROM hacker by any stretch of the imagination, and there weren't people with free time who could hack the entire Japanese ROM.
2) Brings us to Chronotools. This can add in a neat VWF and the item stuff, and restores the other Japanese functions. Problem is, no one can get it to work. A developer for the KDE project was the first person to successfully compile it, but adding the dialogue in caused corruption and screwed up the table data, etc...I don't want to be too critical, but Chronotools has just blown up on everyone who's ever tried it at the Compendium. I tried to add the VWF to a CT ROM in 2005, and it involved wading through five undocumented errors and parameters. The final result when the program ran successfully was a corrupted ROM.
3) Plus, it was noted that a full VWF like that would cause some speed issues. So we went with Temporal Flux, and since Flux now supports huge string length and near infinite strings (at least enough to fill 2< MB of free space), we wouldn't have to edit or shorten any lines.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 05:10:40 pm »
thanks for the explanation, I was just curious.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 05:11:23 pm »
I don't think it really needs a VWF. I'm not having any problems reading the text.

I wonder if there were any animation changes between the two? Like anything that might have been censored for the US version.
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2007, 05:42:03 pm »
Nothing was changed to our knowledge. Even by the time of the Prerelease beta version, most graphics appear as they do now. To reach the final, Square just changed the ape enemy faces, finished Queen Zeal's big face on the Black Omen, and made some other slight enemy tweaks. But JP to US, there's nothing different, and the Naga-ettes aren't topless.

Vehek just finished the anti-title screen patch. So if anyone wants to hack this version of CT, you can remove our title screen now.

http://chronofan.com/Black/Publications/Retranslation/CT%20Retranslation%20Title%20Screen%20Anti-Patch.ips

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 12:55:18 am »

I got about four episodes into that before giving up in total boredom.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 01:16:45 am »
Dang, it's for the US version?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I saw some fairly convincing evidence once that the Japanese version is more difficult than the American version, as Chrono's stats (at least) rise more slowly.  Of course, there are probably amateur hardtype hacks for the US version (or at least such a hack would be relatively easy to make with the available tools), but I've often thought it might be interesting to try the carefully-balanced (?) original.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 07:58:59 am »
I don't think it really needs a VWF. I'm not having any problems reading the text.

I wonder if there were any animation changes between the two? Like anything that might have been censored for the US version.

The font in the US version is a VWF. How do I know? I inserted the exact same font into the Japanese version, and if it weren't a VWF it would've loaded the extra 4 pixels of data (the original font is 12x12, the US font takes away the extra 4 pixels of data on the width of most of the letters, making it a 8x12). I was quite disappointed when I inserted the US font and it looked like crap because it still had that extra 4 pixels of space with each letter.

Congrats on the release, Zeality. =D

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:40 am »
Bug: In the "Mayor's Manor", there's a guy who asks if you know about "Shelters". If you say no, the dialog ends. Saying "yes" gets the explanation. Shouldn't it be opposite?

Also, the woman upstairs who talks about status effects has some text glitching.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:33:37 am by Viewer »

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 12:00:52 am »
Forwarding from KWhazit, who's still swamped with work:

[For the comment] about how every little line seemed to have a change thrown in. Well if anyone asks, there's a simple enough reason for that. The majority of the translation was done without reference to the NA version, so differences in phrasing and so on are to be expected. It started out that way because I initially had no intention of including the NA text, and later... much I'd like to say it was out of a professional(?) desire to avoid letting it influence my decisions on how to interpret things, it was really more so I couldn't "cheat". After all, half the reason I've been translating is to keep in practice, but I don't necessarily trust myself not to gloss over the "dull and ordinary" lines when there's a shortcut of sorts available. And some of those "boring" lines were actually fairly surprising, or at least amusing in ways I hadn't expected.

Daniel

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 12:36:16 am »
Wow, the folks at Eyes on FF were really mean to you guys about this. Kawaii Ryûkishi called it "Stilted Crap". Glad that people here are a little more respectful than that.

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 12:52:54 am »
I don't see that as being really mean, but then, I'm an arsehole.

I don't have an opinion either way, of course. I won't play the patch, but I don't play the official version either. I applaud the work that went into it, but it's not for me.

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 01:52:37 am »
Wow, the folks at Eyes on FF were really mean to you guys about this. Kawaii Ryûkishi called it "Stilted Crap". Glad that people here are a little more respectful than that.

Yeah, there were a few bad apples on the remixing forums as well, despite overall praise. Mostly stems from the completely awful reputation a certain project has given retranslations, whereby we've been assumed to have aimed to outdo Ted Woolsey and create a literary masterpiece rather than search out canon.