News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Tales of Phantasia PSX, moving right along  (Read 27700 times)

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
Re: Translations: Tales of Phantasia PSX, moving right along
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 07:46:40 am »
Cless: Easily readable in the natural game resolution, probably eye hurting at full screen (I like playing in natural resolution, less blocky.)

Doesn't do such a thing to me, and I have a 32 inch HDTV.

I now prefer to play in emulator, though. Even with my PS2 with component out, the colors look washed out and I hate all the interlace artifacts. The colors are much more vibrant running from my PC via VGA to my TV, and it's progressive.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 08:49:48 am »
Would it be possible to add variable fonts, like in MIJET's Battle Mania Daiginjou patch?
No. It'd need most of the strings to be completely redone for matching the different widths.

I'm assuming your script formatting must be done externally and not in game. You can add some auto formatting code in game and have multiple width tables. Or you could even have the game auto detect the widths of the characters being used. Either way, the game would adjust how much text goes on each line and fit in each box on the fly and insert applicable line breaks, key pauses etc.. Just some options to accomplish this. I wouldn't bother spending the time required to do it though just to add a second font. ;)

In addition, since every official PSX game in existence was designed for a TV, if Gemini has made sure it looks fine on a TV, why should anything else be necessary? It makes more sense logically to cater to the original display device of the real system being that emulators strive to recreate that anyway.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 09:07:57 am »
I'm assuming your script formatting must be done externally and not in game. You can add some auto formatting code in game and have multiple width tables. Or you could even have the game auto detect the widths of the characters being used. Either way, the game would adjust how much text goes on each line and fit in each box on the fly and insert applicable line breaks, key pauses etc.. Just some options to accomplish this.
The problem are not line breaks, since I've just added some code for doing that automatically because of the different resolutions used for menu and battle screens. Most of the text just wouldn't fit using a larger font, hence why I totally ignore the option of having an alternative character set.

In addition, since every official PSX game in existence was designed for a TV, if Gemini has made sure it looks fine on a TV, why should anything else be necessary?
Go figure. :P
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 06:26:16 pm »
It's a bit too soon for a new news update, but I figured I might as well post new progress in last few days here.

Habilain has done a ton more ASM hacking of in the last several days. DTE bugfix,  DTE added to battle text routines, bugfix to dialogue hack (should be flawless now), and even got the Auto character's tech display to two columns. He's taking a small break right now since all this has overloaded him at the moment, but he'll be back soon to finish up the rest of the slightly more than small loose ends that remain in the hacking department.

I also did a tiny ASM hack last night to fix the "Throw item away" text.

Woot. I still can't believe how far along this is. :P

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2007, 01:56:56 am »
I am crazy excited about this. Although if we end up getting the PSP version then I'm afraid I probably won't bother playing the PSX one. 8-( Then again, all signs point to a "no" in that direction right now.