News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dragon Squadron Danzarb Translation, by Aeon Genesis  (Read 11157 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Gideon Zhi

After a lengthy debug process, Aeon Genesis has released a complete translation of Dragon Squadron Danzarb, a simple little RPG produced by Pandora Box, Gainax, and Yutaka for the SNES. It features a battle system halfway between Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy, giant robot dragons, a new gameplay twist for each mission, and a story that, while largely cliche, impresses greatly by the end of the game.

The translation is complete and hopefully without issues. Enjoy!

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net/)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Translations: Dragon Squadron Danzarb Translation, by Aeon Genesis
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:05:42 am »
The ending of the game is indeed... surprising to say the least.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:41:00 am »
Shall I get no glory for the 8+ hours of script formatting I did for you Gideon?  >:(

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:02:20 am »
Shall I get no glory for the 8+ hours of script formatting I did for you Gideon?  >:(

I completely forgot! It was like 2AM when I did up the readme. Sorry :(
I'm at work right now, but I'll fix it when I get home.

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:11:36 am »
Is there any reason in particular for using the word "gonna" constantly instead of "going to"?
vive le zopharsdomaindonutparodiusthewhirlpoolrhdn~!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:47 pm »

It pains me that you guys aren't using your programming prowess to auto format. I have never formatted a script in my life. I can't imagine spending hours and hours formatting script. That must suck. You can do it with an external formatter utility or better yet, an in game formatter hack. About 100 lines of assembly code and an hour or so will net you auto formatting. That's with VWF. It's even easier with fixed width. Note: Time may vary with game framework and/or skill level.

If it's one thing I've learned in 10 years, it's that spending some time up front making the computer and/or console do something for me can save a huge amount of time later. Your kind of up the creek without a paddle if you can't program, but both of you guys can whether it be for the console, for the PC, or both. Use the force Luke!
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 02:30:16 pm »

It pains me that you guys aren't using your programming prowess to auto format. I have never formatted a script in my life. I can't imagine spending hours and hours formatting script. That must suck. You can do it with an external formatter utility or better yet, an in game formatter hack. About 100 lines of assembly code and an hour or so will net you auto formatting. That's with VWF. It's even easier with fixed width. Note: Time may vary with game framework and/or skill level.

If it's one thing I've learned in 10 years, it's that spending some time up front making the computer and/or console do something for me can save a huge amount of time later. Your kind of up the creek without a paddle if you can't program, but both of you guys can whether it be for the console, for the PC, or both. Use the force Luke!

I didn't make myself clear...The 8+ hours was actually making an autoformatter for the script. It would have taken probably 100 hours without that.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »
Actually, that's not a bad idea... I might be able to make that work with some of my other patches.
Very interesting. Very -very- interesting.

Still have to add pointer writes to the files, though, and that can be a royal PITA.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:30:03 pm »
Wow, you just made my day.
I love old school RPGs more than anything, especially when they have sci-fi elements. Anything that vaguely reminds me of Phantasy Star=instant bonus points.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:29 pm »
I pee upon myself with glee!

Huge bulbous gargantuan massive and other superlative mega thanky thanks! for another fine release Gid.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:05:06 pm »
I pee upon myself with glee!

Huge bulbous gargantuan massive and other superlative mega thanky thanks! for another fine release Gid.

You forgot "fluffy!"

getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 06:16:22 pm »
Hmm...seems like a nifty unheard of game.  I'll definitely give this a shot sometime in the next few days.  Thanks for all the hard work Gideon and Co.....simply amazing how the pile of games you lot KO has continued to grow over the years.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 06:18:19 pm »
A fluffy thanks to Gideon to satisfy his sensitive side.

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 07:54:43 pm »
huh, thought metal max was gonna get done before this.

:cookie: we need more -good- giant robot games

^_^ time to smash some robot dragons?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:34:54 pm by Maegra »

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 12:40:31 am »
Great job on the translation,  I like games that are similar to the Phantasy Star series.
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 01:40:16 am »

I completely forgot! It was like 2AM when I did up the readme. Sorry :(
I'm at work right now, but I'll fix it when I get home.

Readme's fixed, new zip is uploaded, note's been made on AGTP's main page and both the new archive and new readme have been submitted to RHDN's database. Sorry for the mixup :(

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 02:22:12 pm »
Great stuff, Gideon. I love the diversity in the game (well, it's not all that diverse, it's an RPG. But still, two different battle types, making certain party members have skills for their own puzzles and stuff, neat!).

However, I found a small text-related bug in Chapter 5, after you beat the boss:

There's a blank line there when it shouldn't be, the "'s" in "mission's" bleeds into the text box, and for god knows what reason, the "'s" part is reversed, too.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »
Umm, I didn't take Kim on Mission 1, do I have to start over to have her figure out what to do with the keycards?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 12:36:26 pm »
Go back to the Earthshaker, you can change your Party there.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

cactusfriend

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:02:14 pm »
Is anyone else getting the issue where, after the aeon genesis logo, it just goes to a static overhead screen of some people standing around in a room with chairs, and plays music?  It ignores input but definitely seems to be emulating.  I also tried an unpatched rom and the same thing happened.

My first suggestion to myself was to 'try another emulator' but I am on a G4 macintosh and I believe that limits me to only one current emulator (snes9x).