News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: RHDN 2.0 Launches!  (Read 9167 times)

RHDNBot

Site: RHDN 2.0 Launches!
« on: June 02, 2007, 02:04:36 am »
Update By: Nightcrawler

Today marks the day of the next big step toward meeting the goals and ideals set forth for this site at it’s inception nearly a year and a half ago. Today we launch RHDN 2.0, a second incarnation of our site under the hood. What does this mean for you? It means quite a bit. Read on for the juicy details.

RHDN has always aimed to succeed where other similar sites have failed. RHDN’s goal is to be a community tool rather than just another archive web site. We believe the solution to succeed in the long run is to eliminate staff bottleneck and give you, the community members, the power you need to keep the site updated and going strong. With the launch of RHDN 2.0, we add the ability for you to update and maintain the database in wiki-like fashion, but with control and screening (edits will not be committed to the database without being approved) in place to prevent any abuse. We’d like to think it’s the best of both worlds.

Don’t be fooled. The site may look the same at first glance, but it’s been totally rewritten from the ground up. Take a look around and you’ll see many differences.

There is a cornucopia of new or enhanced features. Here are some of the most important features and enhancements:

• Public wiki-like editing of all database related sections on the site, including entry preview for all forms.
  • Intelligent Form Validation and help on each field on the submission forms.
  • Revamped Community Database. Fully searchable with individual sub pages for each person or group listed.
  • In-site Document preview sub pages for all straight text documents.
  • Utility sub pages.
  • Revamped Help Wanted Ads section allows the creator to edit and delete the Ad.
  • Misc. section including RHDN Dictionary, Translation History and Abandoned Project Work Archive.
  • Automatic E-mail response on approval or rejection of submissions.
  • Games database section has been put up for public maintenance of the RHDN Game Database.
  • The public can now add to and maintain the Links section.

Because the site is all new, please be on the lookout for minor bugs or issues that may appear. If you are having any problems, questions, or notice any bugs, please report them in the Site Talk section of the forum or use the Contact Staff form.

We ask that you have a bit of patience with submissions in the early going while staff deal with any growing pains we may have with the new system. You should receive an e-mail confirmation of your submission being approved or deleted when your submission has been processed.

Enjoy RHDN 2.0. This is your tool. Only together as a community can we excel.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 02:16:48 am by Nightcrawler »

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
Re: Site: RHDN 2.0 Launches!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 02:16:13 am »
Congratulations on the launch. :)
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 02:33:48 am »
Indeed, I've been anxious to see this one. Here's to no big problems surfacing. :beer:

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Animae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 07:13:13 am »
Nice update! :)

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:23:04 am »
Congrats! :)

Sudo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:54:49 pm »
Cool, finally a site that redesigns itself for the better. :)

hippiejake

• View Profile
    • Finally got my shit together!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:33:44 pm »
Alright then, let's hope it doesn't explode and things will be great. :D

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:24:38 pm »
Please don't tell us you won't plaster CNET and Gamespot ads all over the place and then do it. :(
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 05:17:21 pm »
I made a Greasemonkey script to remove everything about those sites from the site I'm pretty sure you're talking about. PM me if you're interested.
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 05:21:38 pm »
Yay, dictionary! :crazy:

I think relative search should be on there.
And I'll leave it at that!

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 07:36:37 pm »
This is so exciting! We've all been hearing about RHDN 2.0 for... well I don't know how long but it's been a while, and now it's finally here! ^_^ I'm gonna go explore it now!

EDIT: So, apparently in the new features for editing and all that, one of the options for a Group/Person is to change the name... So I was wondering if I wanted to change my name in the database from GenoBlast to Killa B, would that be generally frowned upon?  :D

EDIT2: In that same Group/Person thing the URL and Logo URL have the same help message. I thought maybe that was a bug.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 07:51:49 pm by Killa B »
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 05:37:58 am »

The dictionary is there since RHDN 1.0 launched in 2005  :P
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Darkdata

• People who hurt others to feel better are idiots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 12:53:22 pm »
Still a few things left to work out though.
*Main Page*
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/439/
|
[EDITED do to containing sensitive information]

I know you will have everything under control soon though, good job.

Edit:
Also.. http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1126/
|
-->Error in SQL statement:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIMIT 1' at line 1

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:42:10 pm by Nightcrawler »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 03:41:29 pm »
Jedi QuestMaster

Provide the term and definition to us in the Contact Staff form and we'll add the definition. We may end up allowing this section to be publically edited. We'll see if there's any interest.

Killa B

I'd probably advise against changing the name in the community database if your contributions reflect a different name. However, if you really want to do it, you can.

As for the URL fields. Alright, i guess they should be distinguished. They were linked to the same help entry because the rules that apply to both are really the same. However, I do want to make it clear that the logo URL is NOT copied to our servers. It's just linked for display on the page.

I added a little something.

Darkdata

Those issues are resolved. They were temporary while we were fixing some other issues this afternoon.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 07:43:26 pm »

The dictionary is there since RHDN 1.0 launched in 2005  :P
Boy, do I have egg in my face. :(

Edit: That was a difficult term to define! :-\
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:28:14 pm by Jedi QuestMaster »
And I'll leave it at that!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 09:18:03 pm »
No egg. It was only really accessible via a link in the Getting Started Section previously.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 01:29:58 pm »
No egg. It was only really accessible via a link in the Getting Started Section previously.

A link that far too many people never click.

In any case, good job NC, its the same...but not! Much neater than the original, but more thorough.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 08:12:45 pm »
 :cookie:This looks pretty nice. It looks like people are putting it to good use also. Lots of older hacks are gettting more refined hack descriptions. I don't suppose there would be a page of recent changes made would there be? Or even a way to watch pages, like wikipedia allows? And even seeing what was changed in the articles too, like wikipedia does.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:58:49 am »
:cookie:This looks pretty nice. It looks like people are putting it to good use also. Lots of older hacks are gettting more refined hack descriptions. I don't suppose there would be a page of recent changes made would there be? Or even a way to watch pages, like wikipedia allows? And even seeing what was changed in the articles too, like wikipedia does.

The right hand bar reflects the most recent edits or additions. However, obviously it's only the last three. I can see recent changes, but there is no public interface to see it. We have provisions in place to do something like that if we want to. We also have a last modified date kept for each entry. That's something we could potentially display on the sub pages. You'd know when it was last updated. I don't recall how many sections that applies to or when I started keeping track of that though. So, it's effectiveness may be compromised to some degree.

As for page watching. I think that's kind of unnecessary on a site like this. Pages really don't get changed very often at all. Certainly not worth the work or additional database real estate to implement that feature from my perspective.

What was changed is along the same lines. I'm really not interested in keeping and storing all these back records of information past. Logging type records like that gobble up a lot of space quickly and really don't provide anything in return. Wikipedia is always near bankruptcy every time I read bout their financial status. ;)

A last modified date will appease some of your wishes. That I will probably do under the 2.1 umbrella a couple of months from now when we are confident we have a stable code base we can start taking bells and whistles on.