News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Hues of Mana gives SD3/ToM A new coat of paint!  (Read 1664 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Hues of Mana gives SD3/ToM A new coat of paint!
« on: November 06, 2021, 01:47:02 pm »

Update By: Red Soul

If you were tired of the color inconsistencies and, in some cases, outright errors in the otherwise wonderful looking Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana, this patch comes to the rescue!

The author tried their best to make appropriate, tasteful choices in all cases (and hopes they succeeded!)

Because recoloring is tricky when it comes to personal taste, this project is actually a set of patches, some of them very close to vanilla (outside of a misasigned palette that was corrected), so there is something for everyone, the author hopes.

What actually started as a pet peeve grew into a project with the collaboration of several valuable, kind and patient individuals, and it is a great joy to present this to everyone.

New to version 1.1 is a correction pointed out by soul_knight (thanks!)

Also thank you for everyone that already downloaded/tried the patches, it is certainly surprising that were so many downloads considering a front page news piece is only now being placed.

As a final note, this patch is compatible with other hacks as well as the official localization, provided the hacks used in conjunction with Hues of Mana don't change colors, of course. Make sure to check the readme for application instructions and patch ordering.

Enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

IAmTheRad

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: A new coat of paint for SD3/ToM!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
Does this work with the official Trials of Mana english translation?

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 05:49:39 pm »
If only hacks of Trials of Mana DIDN'T use the transliterated Japanese name following its localized rerelease...

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 09:27:43 pm »
Well, the name transliteration is still relevant. Square-Enix took its sweet time localizing the game as ToM, and the Japanese name has been known for a far longer time in hacking/translation circles; a matter of familiarity.

There are title screen patches that could improve the experience for you by giving the game a more localized feel to the title screen, if playing the Neil Corlett translation, but sadly modifying text is beyond the scope of my palette changes, although they do work with the officially localized ROM, if you prefer.

Lastly, I wanted to make sure people understood the hack worked on either case, which is why I added both acronyms to my news post (and the hack is called Hues of Mana, so it is technically named after the localized name for the series).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 02:32:53 am by Red Soul »

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 01:54:47 am »
Nice to see you are still working on rom-related projects.  :)

Looking forward to trying this out!

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 02:40:46 am »
Nice to see you are still working on rom-related projects.  :)

Looking forward to trying this out!

Hey! it's been a while!
I sure miss the old days, you know?

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 03:41:01 am »
So Seiken Densetsu means "trials of mana" in English? Will this rom hack work with the regular English translation of the game? I have a save file and haven't played much but I think this version looks a bit better. Thanks.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 04:31:51 am »
So Seiken Densetsu means "trials of mana" in English? Will this rom hack work with the regular English translation of the game? I have a save file and haven't played much but I think this version looks a bit better. Thanks.

If by regular English translation you mean the localized game, yes, it did work in my testing.

Trials of Mana is just a localization choice by Square-Enix to keep it in line with other entries, as far as mainline games go.

The overseas title format is <Something> of Mana while in Japan they kept the title constant (Seiken Densetsu - Legend of the Holy Sword, in other words the Sword of Mana itself), and appended a number to it.
So Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2 in Japan, for instance.

Yes, your save should work fine, as long as you transfer the .srm file (the normal save you create when asked by the innkeeper) and keep both the name of the ROM and of said file the same (make security copies and leave them in a different folder just to be sure).

Stifu

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Hues of Mana gives SD3/ToM A new coat of paint!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 07:16:44 am »
I wish the screenshots would show before vs after, because I don't know the original by heart.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: ROM Hacks: Hues of Mana gives SD3/ToM A new coat of paint!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 04:40:59 pm »
I wish the screenshots would show before vs after, because I don't know the original by heart.

I will take note of this and include your suggestion as part of the documentation when there is an update.
In the meantime, even if it is a little inconvenient, you could check the original colors here:

http://squarezone.pl/gry/seiken-densetsu-3/opis-profesji

November 08, 2021, 02:55:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Does this work with the official Trials of Mana english translation?

Yes, it should work fine.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 02:55:53 pm by Red Soul »