Over a decade ago, snark made a translation for the game Kaguya Hime Densetsu.
The translation job was performed via a hex editor and without any other tools or asm changes. As a result, the script had a dubious quality to it. Pennywise was given permission by the translator improve the hack and had the script proofread for grammar by Eien Ni Hen. A proofread for accuracy wasn't performed as there were issues with the Japanese script dump's table file. Additionally, the title screen was redone.
Now fast forward to the present, Pennywise handed off his work to me, which was a rom with a proofread script inserted and a title screen (along with an atlas text file). I made my own Japanese table file and comparing the script with the English script, I determined that the English translation is not only highly cut, but also inaccurate in various places...
"[LINE]「やあ！ たびのひと。 ワシは[LINE] ツリきち サンタじいさん という[LINE] ものじゃが マッチ かして くれンかの？」[STOP]"
"[LINE]「I'm Santa! It's summer break! Say, you got a match?」[STOP]"
The "It's summer break!" part was made up and "Hello, traveler!" was dropped.
"「まあ ステキな カガミ。[LINE] ありがたく いただいとく とするワ。」[LINE][STOP]"
"「Thanks for a cool silver prize!」[LINE][STOP]"
"FC: Mistranslation. 'いた' refers to the mirror, since this dialogue triggers after giving the ugly beauty instructor a mirror."
It really should say...
Oh, what a beautiful mirror!
I'll gladly take care of it!
The proofread script didn't fix was fundamentally wrong with the original translation.
In any case, I'm looking for a Japanese to English translator. All the hacking has been completed. Only the translation aspects remain. The download link below contains a Japanese script dump with a column for comments and the translation. There's two tabs. One for the dialogue and one for the menu options. The "menu" column corresponds to the savestate which are all provided. This should give you some context on what a line is about.
Kaguya Hime Densetsu translation package: https://mega.nz/file/tugG1IYC#qnx9wvKjLghZW4K6KwPbns3Y03pIvuYPHpo0OhgB6DM
For the translation, I would suggest making a very literal translation, so I can go back and proofread it later. I'll later send back the changes for approval. I also have a functioning script viewer GUI and an inserter, in case those need to be provided. Also, don't worry too much about line breaks. I have auto line breaking logic in the script inserter.
The original translation also features a walkthrough in the readme...https://www.romhacking.net/translations/nes/patches/1449readme.txt
Also, here's some screenshots...
This is the original translation...