News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Question about the Mana Sword (Secret of Mana).  (Read 1692 times)

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
Question about the Mana Sword (Secret of Mana).
« on: October 19, 2021, 07:43:11 pm »
Yo I got a Question about Secret of Mana. What Alloy is the Mana Sword is made of?

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the Mana Sword (Secret of Mana).
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:52:37 pm »
why does it matter

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 11:02:47 pm »
I don't think there is a canonical one but given it starts as a rusty sword then presumably some iron/steel base.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:51:07 am »
But I thought it's made out of Gundanuim.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 09:32:53 am »
I'll play.

In that case you get to investigate it yourself as to what might go.

There are various schools of thought there.

https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Sword_of_Mana_(weapon)
Fan thing on the sword of mana as it appears in various games. What games you want to include in the canon would have to be figured out there as there are a few and we are now quite far from what the original creators might have been envisioning.

While I said about rust before then I would suppose I get to consider that a) many people say rust or rusted and just mean metal oxides rather than oxides of iron which would be the more chemical/metallurgical definitions and b) that the article there mentions magic which changes the whole process massively ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zBsUdUKmhk for but one exploration of things there).

Where did "Gundanuim" come in here? Also I presume that was a typo and was instead supposed to be "Gundanium" for other than Americans and "aluminum" then most elements, metals and alloys thereof that go in for the a suffix like that will end with ium (see also the periodic table).
Either way of spelling I have never heard of it or anything like it (gun metal being about the closest, though there is of course the term in the gundam series which is a different matter entirely; a search there says it is very much a technical feat in that franchise where this is high magic fantasy) so would presume it is something invented for the series, or maybe more mythological. That said mithril is a myth so it might be something there (though I would like to believe I have a reasonable grasp of the myth of most places here), and despite being a metallurgist then 99% of what I will know is anything used industrially and 95% of that for most will be steel and its alloys so could well have sailed by me.
If it is mentioned in the game (would have thought the wiki article above would note it but oh well) then a) is it a thing made up for the translation, b) from a reliable narrator within the game and c) a term within the game lore that might mean something else today (star metal today would be called meteoric iron for iron/steel is really quite difficult to make and prior to various processes being discovered that would be the main source of it, also the stuff typically found in it makes it nothing like modern steels or even human made steels from medieval periods onwards).

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 10:09:08 am »
Okay. I'll check out the Wiki and find out.

October 20, 2021, 05:12:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry to double but okay. I checked the Wiki about the Mana Sword in info at all Strange isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:12:06 pm by deadlyblossom »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 11:23:54 am »
I think according to the game, the Sword of Mana was forged from a branch of the Mana Tree.

What the World Tree (Yggdrasill, or whatever you want to call it) is made of would be anyone's guess, but I'm guessing it's not wood, as we know it. There's lots of magical magicky things going here. Trying to mix science and folk tales is like mixing Toothpaste with Orange Juice. Nobody likes it and it yields no digestible or palatable results.

If you really wanted to try to get comicbook technical about it, perhaps it merely takes the shape of a metal sword, due to the psychic life energy of the Tree and all the creatures and things in the world. In that case, it's technically far more powerful than any man-made weapon, able to magically and psychically inflict injury, rather than just damage the object or creature it cuts into.
Yamero~~!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 03:14:33 pm »
The Mana Tree =/= Yggdrasil.
Inspired by to be sure, but the series makes no specific connections between the two.

IIRC, the mana sword was indeed made from a branch of the tree.
But the magical nature of it, especially as depicted in Secret of Mana, means that it can be transmuted into any material and is described as actually being the true identity of every mythical sword ever spoken of by way of the different forms it can take.

So really it wouldn't be wrong to say the Mana Sword is made of magic itself and can have any properties you wish.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 05:06:49 pm »
Created by the Mana Tree itself? Sounds like someone is a lunatic to think that.

I meant no offense but That saying that the Mana Sword made from a tree branch sounds like Soul Calibur being some hidden secret fragment of Soul Edge to me.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 09:42:20 pm »
I checked the Wiki about the Mana Sword in info at all Strange isn't it?
Perhaps no one cares because the question is of no relevance..? Just call it dreamstone or starmetal or unobtaiunium and be done with it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 10:42:38 pm »
I will call it Gundanium and be done with it.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 08:29:54 am »
The Mana Tree =/= Yggdrasil.
Inspired by to be sure, but the series makes no specific connections between the two.

To this I can only reply again with

Trying to mix science and folk tales is like mixing Toothpaste with Orange Juice. Nobody likes it and it yields no digestible or palatable results.

It's the same basic concept. Semanticizing it makes no difference. There's a tree that gave birth to all creation. It's magic, mythology, humbug, I tell you
Yamero~~!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:57 pm »
Created by the Mana Tree itself? Sounds like someone is a lunatic to think that.

I meant no offense but That saying that the Mana Sword made from a tree branch sounds like Soul Calibur being some hidden secret fragment of Soul Edge to me.
Sure but, we are talking about a very magical tree and the term Ironwood does exist.  I've heard much weirder from Square before (time compression anyone?) or even in comics.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 12:09:05 am »
I get what you're saying.