News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [3DS] What purpose do .bflyt and .bflan serve and how do I modify them?  (Read 2150 times)

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
Im trying to modify the title screen of Kenka Bancho 6 and replace the original Japanese titlescreen logo with a custom logo. But when ever I replace the logo image with my own it hardlocks the game. So I'm hoping by figuring out what these .bflyt and .bflan files do and how to modify them will allow me to finally get the custom logo working.

00040000000F4F00\menu\title

^title.zdp
   ^titleUpper.zdp
      ^logo.arc
         anim (folder)
            ^logo_act_00.bflan
         blyt (folder)
            ^logo.bflyt
         timg (folder)
            ^logo_kb6.bflim (Game title screen logo)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: [3DS] What purpose do .bflyt and .bflan serve and how do I modify them?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 12:52:27 am »
But when ever I replace the logo image with my own it hardlocks the game.
How exactly are you trying to replace the image? Have you identified that the logo image is stored in a particular file? Are you simply trying to replace that file? Are you able to view the logo in any kind of external program?

So I'm hoping by figuring out what these .bflyt and .bflan files do and how to modify them will allow me to finally get the custom logo working.
What exactly makes you think those files have anything to do with the logo image?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 12:55:03 am »
they're probably proprietary or related to the title banner in some way

i have no insight other than that

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 02:38:54 am »
How exactly are you trying to replace the image? Have you identified that the logo image is stored in a particular file? Are you simply trying to replace that file? Are you able to view the logo in any kind of external program?

Yes, I already have identified the file where logo is stored, I clearly stated that in my post. I am using a program called kuriimu which allows me to view, extract, and replace 3DS archive files.

What exactly makes you think those files have anything to do with the logo image?

I know that they are associated with the logo because the files contains all assets for title screen )top Screen)

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 01:12:59 pm »
Yes, I already have identified the file where logo is stored, I clearly stated that in my post.
If your post was clear, I wouldn't be asking.

I am using a program called kuriimu which allows me to view, extract, and replace 3DS archive files.
Okay, are you replacing the image with a new image that has exactly the same dimensions and color depth?

It is quite possible the game uses some sort of checksum to verify whether its files have been tampered with, and figuring out where that checksum is stored and how it is calculated could be exceptionally difficult.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 09:41:04 am »
Okay, are you replacing the image with a new image that has exactly the same dimensions and color depth?

There is the logo share the same length but there is a difference in image height. and I used the same colors in my original logo in my custom logo

Original logo: 126px X 296px

My custom logo: 93px X 296px

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 11:02:43 am »
That is very likely to cause problems!

So change the size of your custom logo to 126x296, and see if that works.

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 12:24:07 pm »
That is very likely to cause problems!

So change the size of your custom logo to 126x296, and see if that works.

I've just tried your suggestion but sadly the black screen harldlocking problem still persist.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 04:48:40 pm »
Does your new logo display properly in kuriimu?

What if you export the original image, change only a single pixel somewhere, and then re-import it again? Does that work?

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 07:54:34 pm »
Does your new logo display properly in kuriimu?
Yes it does display properly

What if you export the original image, change only a single pixel somewhere, and then re-import it again? Does that work?
The game still freezes even with just the 1px change

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 11:35:14 pm »
bflyt files handle UI layouts. It may help you change the title screen's coordinates, or some hardcoded text strings (copyright notices, typically) but it's very unlikely to contain the actual title screen textures. What it IS useful for, however, is that it will have the filenames for those textures (may be a GC era filetype like timg, or a DS/3DS texture or whatever.)

Use a hex editor, or one of the many 3DS modding toolkits.

Yes it does display properly
The game still freezes even with just the 1px change

Codecs, image sizes, file sizes, integrity checks (unlikely but possible and a PITA)

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 01:49:45 am »
What format is the image when you export it from kuriimu?  Is it a PNG, or a JPEG, or what?

As M. VicVergil suggests, it is possible your image editor is introducing a change which can be overlooked by kuriimu but not by the game's code. The PNG compression level, perhaps.

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 07:58:30 am »
What format is the image when you export it from kuriimu?  Is it a PNG, or a JPEG, or what?

As M. VicVergil suggests, it is possible your image editor is introducing a change which can be overlooked by kuriimu but not by the game's code. The PNG compression level, perhaps.

Kuriimu exports the logo into a .png file. I used photoshop to make the changes to the logo. I was able to replace the copyright screen using kuriimu, my current hypothesis it I think is a conflict between the custom logo and some animation file associated with the original logo.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 10:50:53 am »
Just to be sure: if you export the image from kuriimu and then re-import it without making any changes, does the game still work?

If you open the image in Photoshop and save it again under a different filename without making any changes, does the game still work?

my current hypothesis it I think is a conflict between the custom logo and some animation file associated with the original logo.
I don't know what basis you have for this hypothesis.

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 12:06:00 pm »
Just to be sure: if you export the image from kuriimu and then re-import it without making any changes, does the game still work?

If you open the image in Photoshop and save it again under a different filename without making any changes, does the game still work?

No it does not work for some reason, which is weird

[Unknown]

• View Profile
    • PPSSPP
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 12:19:41 pm »
It might be that the PNG must be in a certain format, i.e. 8 bit or 24 bit without alpha, etc.  Maybe when you're saving it out, you're changing the format.

-[Unknown]

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 12:27:47 pm »
It might be that the PNG must be in a certain format, i.e. 8 bit or 24 bit without alpha, etc.  Maybe when you're saving it out, you're changing the format.

-[Unknown]
I doubled checked to made sure it was in the same format

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 12:38:45 pm »
Check md5 hash or something as well, compare files in hex.

Try a different tool which doesn't modify your file after saving it without any changes.

6Kyojin4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 04:09:33 pm »
Check md5 hash or something as well, compare files in hex.
They do have difference

Try a different tool which doesn't modify your file after saving it without any changes.
I dont know of any easy to use 3ds hacking tools of that kuriimu

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:41 pm »
I doubled checked to made sure it was in the same format
What exactly did you check? As [Unknown] suggested, the alpha channel would make a big difference. So could the compression level. These are not features that are limited to 3DS hacking and you should be able to read about them anywhere.

I dont know of any easy to use 3ds hacking tools of that kuriimu
In this case you will need a general-purpose hex editor.  See for instance https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29028.0 .