News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: GBA Konami Collectors series Arcade advanced  (Read 1250 times)

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
GBA Konami Collectors series Arcade advanced
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:49:01 pm »
Is it true that Scramble and Time Pilot are NES rom's in this GBA rom? If so has anyone extracted and dumped them? If anyone has the rom's do they play on a real NES?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: GBA Konami Collectors series Arcade advanced
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 04:03:08 am »
This might be the sort of thing you want to investigate for yourself.

I don't recall it in the usual discussions (while the classic nes/famicom mini series dominates discussion there then there are a few others, some even using the homebrew emulator pocketnes as it was made public domain https://waxy.org/2004/07/jaleco_borrows/ ) but it very easily could have flown under the radar as most were content to use the pocketnes or HVCA emulators instead.

Anyway first easy option is grab a chunk somewhere in the middle of the original NES ROM and search for that in the GBA ROM. You tend not to gain much for compressing NES ROMs and I have rarely seen anything obfuscated or too radically altered when it comes to NES stuff (contrast to Sega of that era, and arcade/MAME stuff to this day in some cases). If you don't get it at first try a few others.
Whether they would have used an emulation scene/flash cart scene style dumped ROM in their GBA effort I don't know - while Nintendo were notably using the ines header in some of their later stuff ( http://archive.nes.science/nesdev-forums/f3/t4412.xhtml and also notes a few others that used pocketnes https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us ) then back then there was still unknown formats being used that comprised dumps of the various banks stored how they will on occasion.

You might even find it in a dump of RAM, and RAM dumps can be a way to get around any compression or obfuscation (NES ROMs do just about fit in GBA RAM a lot of the time).

Beyond that I would probably start playing with the running code; an emulator referencing a ROM will look quite a bit different to a native program referencing assets when you start peering into the code, especially something as far apart in general theme of operations as the NES and GBA.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 09:08:29 am »
I've heard of Scramble and Time Pilot having aftermarket NES ports.

But I haven't heard that the ports originated on the GBA.
I heard they were dumped from some plug 'n play console (the majority of such consoles are reportedly based on Famiclone hardware or some expanded variation of the hardware called VT from some Chinese developer).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 11:07:59 pm »
Ok thanks for the info guys, i am going to try to look into this more. It would be great if this is true it would add them to the nes library. If it is i would wonder if Rally X is the same with Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary GBA.