News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Castlevania Advance Collection - Restored Audio  (Read 3197 times)

DeadSkullzJr

• View Profile
Castlevania Advance Collection - Restored Audio
« on: September 27, 2021, 09:34:33 am »
Hello everyone, today I bring you some tweaks for the Game Boy Advance Castlevania titles present in Castlevania Advance Collection. Why would this even be needed you might be wondering, well, personally speaking I enjoy taking apart collection based titles like these and investigating the ROM images packed within, sometimes you tend to get some interesting results, others not so much. The main reason I did these tweaks however is because some folks out in the world like myself love playing these altered ROM images on real hardware or even with an emulator of choice outside what the collection(s) use. Without these tweaks, the games would run with no audio present, which is great and all but, I like having sound during gameplay, not to mention compatibility is rough whenever the developers of these collections remove certain data from the original ROM images, which I can happily say isn't a problem when using these patches. Not much else to say on the matter so without further ado, here are the restored audio patches!

Download:
https://mega.nz/folder/gRgTQSaD#ZOHtgMaveITo_f2o_WtC9Q

nanashi89

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania Advance Collection - Restored Audio
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 02:47:42 pm »
Will this work on Switch?

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 03:57:43 pm »
Will this work on Switch?

I mean, if you can extract the roms from the switch version there is no reason that these patches wouldn't restore their audio. It just takes the roms from the Advanced Collection and makes their audio work again.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 11:31:31 pm »
Oh that's splendid!
Time to check if the fixed rom works on any emulator and get screenshots in the accurate ratio.
So far the music works on vba and my boy, just not sure if it works on anyone else.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 11:45:58 pm »
How do I use these, anyway?

Just apply to the respective ROMs, and play on any emulator?

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 11:53:17 pm »
How do I use these, anyway?

Just apply to the respective ROMs, and play on any emulator?
Yes, exactly

September 28, 2021, 06:11:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So far the sound fixed roms are mostly playable, just have to verify if the whole Soma campaign works by speedrunning the second loop of Aria.

Dang, find out it's some settings in my emulator happened to be incompatible with Circle. Curse it!!!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:15:37 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

lionclaws1588@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 10:38:47 pm »
so you can extract the roms from the switch cv collection?
i have tried to do that,but failed...i managed to extract the contents of the nsp,but could not find the gba games.
i was trying to apply the luck/int fix for aria of sorrow,and HOPEFULLY reinject the rom back to the nsp.
it seems that luck/int is still bugged in the switch version...
could you by chance tell me if this is possible?(extract gba,patch it with fix patches,then reinject back again)

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 06:21:20 pm »
so you can extract the roms from the switch cv collection?
i have tried to do that,but failed...i managed to extract the contents of the nsp,but could not find the gba games.
i was trying to apply the luck/int fix for aria of sorrow,and HOPEFULLY reinject the rom back to the nsp.
it seems that luck/int is still bugged in the switch version...
could you by chance tell me if this is possible?(extract gba,patch it with fix patches,then reinject back again)

https://www.riotbits.com/castlevania-advance-collection-modding-roms-guide-14341/
This is some kind of tutorial in order to extract and replace roms, but seems like it's specifically for the pc version, if there's no alldata.bin file in the switch version then you'd have to wait for another guide

lionclaws1588@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 08:30:20 pm »
ok thank you!

Arthandas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 03:20:54 pm »
Thanks for the patches man!
I was pretty bummed by the fact they altered the roms (which worked fine in the Anniversary Collection) and broke the audio.
Now I can finally play them in much better environment, with scanlines and color correction.

CoolieCoolster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
Would it be possible for me to have IPS versions of the patch files? I would convert them myself, but I don't have the Castlevania Advance Collection.

Arthandas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 05:15:14 am »
Btw, could you elaborate on how the patches fix the audio?
Was it disabled by Konami or were there some files missing and you're patching them in?

lionclaws1588@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 04:38:02 pm »
so i can confirm that the tutorial posted above by Aceearly1993 DOES work with the switch version.just use nxdumptool to make a romfs dump,then extract/decrypt the alldata.bin and the other file with it,rename the .bin with the game's name to .gba files(they are .bin files once decrypted)
then apply the desired .ips patches to them(i used the int/luck fixes for aria of sorrow,found on this site)
then simply rebuild the 2 files back and copy them to the tid/romfs folder.

take note that,at least with the switch version,the romfs mod will be twice the size of the game(at least they were for me)