News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Loading Tables into Hex Editor?  (Read 1876 times)

Pridetoons

• View Profile
Loading Tables into Hex Editor?
« on: September 27, 2021, 02:20:34 am »
So I'm using the latest version of Notepad++, WinHex, HxD, and GHex were are the options to load Table files?  :-[ :banghead:

If possible please show pictures.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Tables into Hex Editor?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:07:36 am »
If it's a NES game and you're using FCEUX, then Debug -> Hex Editor -> File -> Load *.TBL File.

Pridetoons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 04:51:19 am »
It's a GBA Game.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 07:12:54 am »
Those are all general purpose editors which tend to have no/minimal table support, the HxD developer did drop by here a while back but I don't think table support was the goal, and very rarely is it going to be able to load ROM hacking style .tbl files. You want something then from the ROM hacking side of things.

Personally I quite like Crystaltile2 for this (if memory serves its table format needs an extra line at the bottom that some table generators don't do so be aware of that if it crashes when trying to load your table file).

As above though poke around the section the links are on for this site and it will have a few different choices.

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 07:38:46 am »
As it's written "A windows port of the great dos editor." for Thingy32, is it to translate DOS games or not only?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 04:40:26 pm »
There used to be dos programs and programs that needed windows, later dos programs referred more to things that used the command line and looked like dos programs of old rather than using Windows based methods to display itself.
When dos started to die out as a primary means of using a computer various programs were converted to play to windows standards, usually by getting the source code and making it instead use Windows methods for displaying programs aka a port. This is what that is.
It is and always was a general purpose text decoder program. If the game (or whatever file you are feeding it) falls within the standards it works to* then you will be able to display and do limited editing to things. Could be a DOS game, could be a NES game, could be a GBA game, could be an arcade game... it matters little.

*I am not sure offhand of Thingy32's ultimate limitations but there are probably some really exotic modern PC games, most likely from Asia, that use a format it would struggle with. Anything that is normally looked at on this site will probably be fine though.

How many people would suggest learning it today, or only use it today because that is what they know, I am not sure about. Despite being a port of an older program it is still a bit long in the tooth with its share of bugs. To that end many would probably suggest you find something a bit more modern, but if you must there are worse choices.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:52:07 am »
I don't know if you still need help but I talk about tables at length in this video. You can see me open a table in winhex. https://youtu.be/hXf94nZbxVc

Anime_World

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 06:27:03 pm »