News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Atari 2600 and 7800 games on original SNES (16 games working)  (Read 465 times)

Nokia3310

• View Profile
Atari 2600 and 7800 games on original SNES (16 games working)
« on: November 15, 2021, 04:37:57 pm »
I've made a video that explains how I did this but the short version of the story is that Atari released a plug and play console in 2004 with 20 games on (see game list below). I got 16 of them working. Any marked with * are currently incompatible. This console was working on NOAC instead of emulating Atari roms. So, Atari ported these games to NES to make it possible with this approach. I used Project Nested to then get them working on SNES.

Video link:
https://youtu.be/1sC0phsIqug

I acknowledge that this is possibly the most inauthentic way of playing Atari console games  :laugh:. On the other hand though, these are officially released NES ports of 2600 and 7800 games by Atari, intended to be faithful representations of the games and running very well on Super Nintendo. So, that's a new thing.

Of course, Atari fans were appalled that an official Atari product was running NES ports back in 2004, but that's another story. We're 17 years on and these ports can now be enjoyed and appreciated on Super Nintendo.

Atari 2600:
Adventure
Air-Sea Battle
Battlezone
Breakout
Canyon Bomber
Crystal Castles
Gravitar
Haunted House*
Millipede*
Saboteur (unreleased prototype)
Sky Diver
Solaris
Sprint Master
Warlords
Yars' Revenge

Atari 7800:
Asteroids
Centipede
Desert Falcon*
Charley Chuck’s Food Fight
Planet Smashers*

Edit: I got Millipede working earlier tonight using Project Nested v1.3 (an earlier version). Some missing sounds though. No luck with the other incompatible games despite a lot of experimentation with the output settings.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 02:14:05 am by Nokia3310 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Atari 2600 and 7800 games on original SNES
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:09:36 pm »
No ET, no glory.