News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Complete][Translation][Game Boy] Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters script  (Read 2171 times)

Darrman

• View Profile
[Complete][Translation][Game Boy] Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters script
« on: September 25, 2021, 08:45:59 am »
EDIT: The translation patch is now complete, and help is no longer required. Thank you for all the assistance.

I have been working on a translation patch for Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters for the Game Boy. The majority of hacking is done and text is capable of being inserted back into the game. Currently, I have complete placeholders where the story text goes and simple placeholder descriptions of the in-duel text. Card flavour text is currently adapted from the Yugipedia listings, but I would also like these checked for accuracy.

Here are some proof-of-concept images showing off the work so far:

The script files can be downloaded here. Inside the zip are three text files and the readme.
The latest release is available on RHDN here.

The game is playable, but the dialogue is all placeholder.

This splash screen also requires translation.

EDIT: This has been handled.

Further instructions can be found within the script's readme file. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:49:40 pm by Darrman »

Graphicus

• View Profile
Re: [Translation][Game Boy] Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters script
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 11:00:43 pm »
Hello Darman. Glad to see someone working on these titles!

I posted this in the screenshots and edits page a while ago (I did this for all 4 GB/GBC titles). Feel free to use it for the title screen:

As far as the splash screen you posted is concerned, I already have the logo so I just need to change the rest, which should take no time at all. Could you let me know what it says? I've asked in the Discord as well. If someone answers before you do, I'll edit this post with it.

EDIT: Something like this?

Something I was hoping was possible is to change the font size to have 2 characters fit in each tile instead of 1? Kinda like the Pokemon TCG games. Hopefully that can allow the card names and descriptions to match the original JP more closely and reduce the amount of abbreviation needed. I don't know how much work that would require, though... would we have to simply make tiles for every conceivable combination of letters needed for the game? Could the game be hacked to recognize half-tiles? I'm no programmer, so I have no clue.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:33:39 am by Graphicus »

Darrman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 01:13:16 pm »
These will be quite useful. Would it be possible to upload the translated versions as normal images?

Regarding the font, while I'd be able to add in tiles for things like "il" or "'s", I'd be reluctant to go further since I find squished tiles ugly. Giving the the game the Pokemon TCG font treatment is beyond me technically: I think that would need variable-width font programming, and I don't know much of assembly.

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 05:06:06 pm »
Here you go:

Darrman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 09:13:44 am »
I've done about as much as I can do without a translator, so I've released what I have on RHDN.
It's available here.

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 04:42:26 pm »
Hi there. I decided to try my hand at the dialogue files.
I can't call myself a professional, but I try my best.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/a8gv9c6bm6efd/YGO_GB1_Translation

I initially tried to crunch it into the text limits myself, but it is definitely tiresome work. And I realized it meant more to do the text in full and have it done than burn myself out.
(Especially if I'm doing it for someone else and they don't know yet.  ;D)
(btw, this site is real nice for mocking-up text boxes in this game and a ton of others, if you didn't know that already) :P
https://deathgenerator.com/#ygodds

One more thing is I didn't know what expletive each くそ should be. In terms of translating character dialogue, that word can run the whole gambit from 'darn' to 'fuck' depending on context and personality. I don't know this series quite well enough to do that, and the official English release is infamously G-rated to a fault, so I just marked them all *swear* and I'll have to leave that to you, as well.

And the dueltext file only had a few lines that weren't already handled as well as I could do them.

The card descriptions aren't included, as I only just started those, but I'll try to get through that next. I've been mostly just checking to see if they're just kana-only matches to the Japanese flavor text, and translating them if they're different.

Let me know if I can do anything else, and good luck!

winnaow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 08:47:50 pm »
Hi,Lazermutt4 and Darrman.That looks great!

The card names and descriptions you can refer to the below wiki link which it's the gallery of this game(DM 1):

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Gallery_of_Yu-Gi-Oh!_Duel_Monsters_cards

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:12:45 pm by winnaow »

Darrman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 01:33:24 pm »
Hi there. I decided to try my hand at the dialogue files.
I can't call myself a professional, but I try my best.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/a8gv9c6bm6efd/YGO_GB1_Translation

I initially tried to crunch it into the text limits myself, but it is definitely tiresome work. And I realized it meant more to do the text in full and have it done than burn myself out.
(Especially if I'm doing it for someone else and they don't know yet.  ;D)
(btw, this site is real nice for mocking-up text boxes in this game and a ton of others, if you didn't know that already) :P
https://deathgenerator.com/#ygodds

One more thing is I didn't know what expletive each くそ should be. In terms of translating character dialogue, that word can run the whole gambit from 'darn' to 'fuck' depending on context and personality. I don't know this series quite well enough to do that, and the official English release is infamously G-rated to a fault, so I just marked them all *swear* and I'll have to leave that to you, as well.

And the dueltext file only had a few lines that weren't already handled as well as I could do them.

The card descriptions aren't included, as I only just started those, but I'll try to get through that next. I've been mostly just checking to see if they're just kana-only matches to the Japanese flavor text, and translating them if they're different.

Let me know if I can do anything else, and good luck!

Much appreciated. Thank you for the dialogue translations. Aside from the card descriptions, that should be about it. I'll edit the dialogue down as necessary myself. Again, thank you.

Ben145

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 08:17:54 pm »
Hey, if I can be of help I'd be all for it. I can translate stuff for you, whatever is still in need as such -- looks like card lores/effects? (I know you also wanted people to message you, Darrman, but I couldn't figure out how to DM.)

Badbufon

• 8=bits kight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 09:12:17 pm »
hey!, i have been working on this game but have to leave it behind for the time being, it's cool to see another group dealing with it =P. i can share what i did if it helps in any way (mostly card descriptions and names (i choosed to go for 8 character names, preferable the original japanese, to make it more playable/interesting). i ran through the same menu bugs but haven't looked into fixing them yet.
~lalala~

Darrman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 07:47:52 pm »
The translation is now complete and in the queue. Thank you to everyone who offered me assistance.

While it's in the queue, the fully-translated patch is available on Github.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 01:23:34 am »
Something I was hoping was possible is to change the font size to have 2 characters fit in each tile instead of 1? Kinda like the Pokemon TCG games.

I have not played the Pokemon TCG games on real hardware but I imagine that font really has to look like an awful eyestrain.
Even with they continued to use that in newer mainline games in the battle UI (at least Gen 5 and 6, I think 7 as well?) I hate it and think some characters are pretty much unreadable on their own, and it's a good thing we see the names printed plenty in more legible fonts.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Graphicus

• View Profile
Re: [Complete][Translation][Game Boy] Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters script
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 10:36:48 am »
It's an all caps font, which I think mitigates that problem a bit. I've personally never had an issue with it. It was even used in the fan translation of Pokemon TCG 2.  I haven't heard anyone complain about it.

Most card names in Yu-gi-oh are pretty long. I just find it sad that in the only localized GB/GBC game so far, most card names/descriptions/etc... are all cut off in other languages. It looks really sloppy and lazy, almost like the game wasn't designed to do what it's supposed to do. (I know that's not technically true since the JP text fits fine). All I was thinking was, if we CAN do better, we ought to.