News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Onsen Pun? (Shounen Ninja Sasuke SFC)  (Read 1246 times)

Reld

• View Profile
Onsen Pun? (Shounen Ninja Sasuke SFC)
« on: September 23, 2021, 05:19:24 pm »
I finally got hooked up with a translator to work with on this project, but we're stumped on this part.

In a 2-player game, Sasuke and Chinnen (the bald guy) visit an onsen. Sasuke jumps in the water, but Chinnen just stands there waiting. Sasuke tells Chinnen to get in already, but Chinnen says he can't because there's no "え", or no "e". Seems like some sort of pun, but the translator doesn't know what it means. He said he ran it by a couple of native speakers and they didn't get it either. Hoping somebody around here might understand it.

nattou

• View Profile
Re: Onsen Pun? (Shounen Ninja Sasuke SFC)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:18:47 pm »
Wish I could be more helpful, but I can only gather what you've already said, including that it's likely a pun. But, perhaps if we can inspect preceding dialog up to that point it might turn on a lightbulb for someone?

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:24:02 pm »
Unfortunately there really isn't any dialogue preceding that. There isn't really any other dialogue about the onsen at all. You walk in the little hole in the fence behind that "onsen manju" sign, then the scene plays out like in the screenshots above, then it's over.

EDIT: Is it possible that by "え" he means "柄" or handle/grip? Maybe it's not a pun. Maybe the joke is that he's just such a terrible swimmer that he's afraid of drowning even in shallow bath water if he doesn't have some kind of guard rail or handhold? I know very little Japanese so I'm kinda flailing around in the dark here. I don't even know if 柄 would be the right word for that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:38:07 pm by Reld »

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 10:11:39 pm »
This looks like a meta joke to me -- え as in 絵 for "picture" or in this case "graphics": "I can't get in because there aren't any graphics for it." Though I would think a native speaker would be able to tell you that easily, so hey, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 10:15:47 pm »
I think that might actually be it! He can't get in because there's no graphic for it! There are a couple of bosses in the game that joke about being palette swaps of regular enemies, so there's precedent for that kind of humor in the dialogue. Thanks!

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 11:18:08 pm »
Am I the only one who can't see the images posted on OP?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 11:51:23 pm »
Now it works, thanks. Odd that the links go to an SSL Inspection warning page first.

I tried rehosting them in imgur.com -