News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ... I beat Double Dragon 2 without dying  (Read 2159 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
... I beat Double Dragon 2 without dying
« on: August 14, 2021, 12:06:29 am »
I have been around since the days of the "Victoly" thread... but it seems "those days are gone forever, over a long time ago..."

Anyhoo. I make no money from my YouTube channel, if you wanna AdBlock, Adblock

It took me 6 years of practicing to do this. I used autofire for free Dragon Knees for most of it, but this week, I decided to turn off autofire in order to "keep it real."

I hope you enjoy it. If this game ever gave you fits as a kid, watch me kick its ass.
Yamero~~!

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
Re: ... I beat Double Dragon 2 without dying
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 05:56:07 am »
An impressive feat, certainly. Do you think DD3 is harder than DD2? I think so, partly because Double Dragon 3 has no Knee move you can kill enemies easily with. I think I never finished 3, so DD2 is surely easier in that aspect. Still, Double Dragon 2 also had some unfair moments, with Mission 6 - The Mansion of Terror being one of the hardest stages of the game, partly due to those idiotic platforming sections no one could get past.
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 10:27:47 am »
Do you think DD3 is harder than DD2?

I do, but I think it's for more reasons than just the removal of the Dragon Knee.

You no longer get "lives," but when a character's life bar runs out, they are just dead. Like, they tried to introduce RPG elements and stuff, like weapons having a set number of uses before they are used up, and whatnot... To me, it seems like it might have been better off as a new series entirely. Double Dragon didn't need a retool, it was okay the way it was.

Super Double Dragon, on the other hand, isn't as hard, but also feels kind of empty; as dumb as they are, I miss the story scenes from DD1-3. Super Double Dragon is just like "why are we beating all these people up? Who cares!!" ...I mean I get it, that it's not strictly necessary. But... I dunno, give me something to care about, so that when I beat it, it's not just like "Well, that's it." It has no ceremony to it.
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:38:14 pm »
Have you tried the "new" Double Dragon IV?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 02:56:38 pm »
Super Double Dragon, on the other hand, isn't as hard, but also feels kind of empty; as dumb as they are, I miss the story scenes from DD1-3. Super Double Dragon is just like "why are we beating all these people up? Who cares!!" ...I mean I get it, that it's not strictly necessary. But... I dunno, give me something to care about, so that when I beat it, it's not just like "Well, that's it." It has no ceremony to it.
Read the manual

There are also some fighting games based off Double Dragon, but they suck both as fighting games and as Double Dragon games.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 05:03:25 pm »
Read the manual

There are also some fighting games based off Double Dragon, but they suck both as fighting games and as Double Dragon games.

It's hard to picture it but the cartoon show they were based on was even dumber, yeah
Yamero~~!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 06:21:50 pm »
What about the live-action movie?

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 07:22:37 pm »
What about the live-action movie?

I never did see it... What little I remember from previews or whatever didn't look promising, but for some reason Robert Patrick is in it?!?

I always wondered if "Double Impact" (The Jean-Claude Van Damme movie) had started life as a Double Dragon film script, but was rejected for some reason, so they just filed off the serial numbers and filmed it anyway?

Also, @Jorpho

I heard that it was really buggy. I have Double Dragon Trilogy on Steam, and have had lots of problems with that, too...was one of my first Steam purchases in fact.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:29:59 pm by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 10:22:58 pm »
I don't know if I've ever beaten it without losing a life. Probably not. Kudos!! I've always thought the game was easy, but beating without dying is definitely not.

Have you tried beating it with both characters by yourself? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkDjjyEY4UE
Or beating all 3 NES DD in succession on a single attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMuQIX6sGeY

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 10:50:12 pm »
Now try it without receiving any damage. Just kidding, don't do that. :P

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 11:43:18 pm »
I don't know if I've ever beaten it without losing a life. Probably not. Kudos!! I've always thought the game was easy, but beating without dying is definitely not.

Have you tried beating it with both characters by yourself? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkDjjyEY4UE
Or beating all 3 NES DD in succession on a single attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMuQIX6sGeY

No, and no. I don't recall if I've ever beaten Double Dragon 3 on the NES because it's dumb and I don't like it.

Quote from: Lusofonia
Now try it without receiving any damage. Just kidding, don't do that. :P

No fear! Nah, after 6 years, I'm donezo. I may not play Double Dragon 2 again until my kid brothers come to visit, but we'll probably just end up playing each others' Mario Maker 2 levels, or TMNT (Arcade).
Yamero~~!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 04:56:35 am »
Didn't know they made a new game entry recently, alas it's all on new platform I don't own nor intent buying. Anyway, when they try to make cash on series of the late 80s/early 90s nowadays there's huge probably it's garbage.

Super Double Dragon was an unfinished/rushed game. Not only the story scenes miss, but more importantly, the doors and conveyor belts from the previous games were removed without any form of compensation. It's sad because the gameplay is fun but quickly too repetitive.

An impressive feat, certainly. Do you think DD3 is harder than DD2? I think so, partly because Double Dragon 3 has no Knee move you can kill enemies easily with. [...]
Contrary to DD2 where you were "supposed" to die and use continues, on DD3 you were supposed to beat the game without dying... so normally acheiving DD2 without dying should be harder than DD3 - don't know if this is actually the case, though.

Still, Double Dragon 2 also had some unfair moments, with Mission 6 - The Mansion of Terror being one of the hardest stages of the game, partly due to those idiotic platforming sections no one could get past.
I hardly ever got past this stage even if I was good at the game before this point.

EDIT : I never knew you could kill the first boss of DD2 by gravity ! I only did this with the boss in the helicopter.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 05:02:45 am by Bregalad »

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 08:34:17 am »
Quite a nice playthrough, Spooniest! Double Dragon II on the NES is in my Top 10. Not only the special moves are fantastic, but the raw sound you hear when using those special moves feels like you’re tearing a piece a metal in half. :laugh: Add to that the excellent music and you have a very satisfying experience. Quite frankly I played this game to death.

As for Double Dragon IV, I must confess the game is less fun than dd2. They are  new moves, the sprite work is faithful to the NES games, but it’s like this game has no soul, even the music falls flat for some reason. It pains me to say this because the game was developed under the tutelage of some of the original Technos developers of yore.

By the Way Double Dragon IV is on Windows too (Steam).
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

yolomate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »
nice I finish in 1991!! but no easy and I play all versions!!pc engine is my favorite version no doubt!! ;)

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 08:40:45 am »
Yooo, Congratulations!