News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Idol hands are galactic evil's playthings: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna for PC-Engine/TG-16 translated  (Read 6855 times)

ViperAcidZX

• View Profile
I can't wait to try this since I was curious about playing Galaxy Fraulein Yuna but couldn't read Japanese. Thank you very much for translating this game for us!

Tarosuke

• View Profile
An incredible effort. I cannot thank the creators enough for all their time spent in making this. What an amazing last 12 months the PCE-CD has had with Sailor Moon, Madou Monogatari and now this. It's nice to see that it's finally receiving some attention!

PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
If anyone needs a completely first time voice actor to help dub this game, my nasally voice is at your service!  :thumbsup: :laugh:

September 06, 2021, 12:03:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Does this translation work on Terraonion's Super SD System 3 optical disc emulator? Having trouble.

Edit: Nevermind, I used the Rerelease Multibin method and it seems to have fixed what ever the issue was. It is working on original hardware flawlessly so far!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 12:33:41 pm by PersianImm0rtal »

turboxray

• View Profile
Thanks. I don't have any definite plans for more Yuna at this point, but we'll just see what happens.

Yeah, while I'm not familiar with Ys specifically, I've looked at several other CD games that have substantial voice acting over the gameplay like that. I don't think it's insurmountable except in the worst cases, but it's definitely an even bigger problem than the already considerable issue of subtitling "regular" cutscenes. I expect the best route in some cases would be to use the game's regular text display system to add dialogue windows on top of the voices, but that's definitely going to add complexity, and opens up the potential for a lot of new problems... Like, if the screen ever needs to scroll during the scene, you're not going to be able to have a text window open (the PCE has only one background layer, so it'll just scroll with everything else). Man, I'd rather not even think about this unless I have to.

I mean you could use the h-int to create whatever fixed BG window you need by repositioning the BG layer (you could extend the map to a larger size to compensate). If that's an issue, you can always uses sprites for a window (for a direct bitmap buffer). If both present an issue, you can set the regs of the VDC so that you have two VDC frames in a single VCE frame, causing a small one at the bottom of the screen, where you'll get a completely new SATB and all the entries you need.

Halcon_Negro

• View Profile
I wonder if this translation can work (help) for the Sega Saturn or the psp collection...

Mafoo343

• View Profile
I wonder if this translation can work (help) for the Sega Saturn or the psp collection...

Based on my experience translating this, I'd say yes.  The PSP version is more or less a straight up port of the PC Engine version.  The only differences are that the menu theme "P.S. I Love You" was removed for copyright reasons and the game is missing the Bomberman theme during the swimsuit contest.

As for the Saturn version, the script in the remix is 99.99% identical to the original, with the few changes being pretty much cosmetic.  A few additional things might have to be translated for that version like the omake calendar mode that wasn't in the original, but otherwise the translation should be able to be brought straight over from the PC Engine version.  Further helping matters is the fact the Saturn version has the script encoded in Shift-JIS, the exact same format used in the PC Engine original.  In fact, just about every Yuna game regardless of platform uses that format.

If anyone has the spare time and would like to take a crack at porting the translation to those versions, be my guest :thumbsup:

Halcon_Negro

• View Profile
Followed all the instruction, specifically part B, and when it is ending the multitrack patch, the new single-track disappear... :-[

Ribose

• View Profile
It's really cool and unique to see projects as dedicated as these. Well done.

Are you the author of the libpce tools that I see in the included source code? I've been interested hacking for the platform lately, but it seems like it'll be a high barrier to entry.