News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Technical]Ushio & Tora (NES) Advanced ROM Hacking Request Pt. 2  (Read 1912 times)

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Well, I guess it finally happened.  I'm going to restart my ancient "Ushio & Tora: Shinen no Daiyou" project.  (First, I have to say, so many new tools had come out since I had started years ago!)

I already constructed a table file for the ROM, and I started tinkering with the script... including figuring out this game's pointer system (I think I figured it out.) and came with a script dump which I made using the program, "Pointer Tables".  (I really hope I used this program correctly.)

As for my script dump, I'll upload it "here" as it's a bit too large to copy and past on this board.

In any case, I could use the assistance of someone who can go over my script and translate the text from Japanese to English.

-EDIT-

I did manage to figure out the game's pointer system in the dialogue after some trial and error.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to insert the characters' names being displayed fully during battle.

As of now, the characters' names are displayed as following:

Ush
To
Hyo
Rais
Kaga
Izun

I want them be displayed as the following:

Ushio
Tora
Hyou
Raishin
Kagari
Izuna

I tried using a control code in the dialogue as a way to fix that issue, but that didn't work.  I even tried changing one of the pointers to a different location... only to have it break in the game.

This is where I may need the assistance of a more advanced NES ROM hacker for this task.

I see the possibility of adding DTE (Dual-Tile Encoding) to this area of the game (maybe to the dialogue as well), but I keep getting stumped in how to do it.  I've been reading KingMike's tutorial on it, but I'm confused.

I did find the location where the character names (to display during battle) is located:  0x01B6DF - 0x01B6F3
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 10:11:40 pm by BlackPaladin »

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: [Translation]Ushio & Tora (NES) Translation Request
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 08:11:33 am »
My best wishes to you on this project! It looks quite nice for a nes rpg. There are still a few nes ones I'd love to see translated someday, like Super Chinese 3. I asked Aishsha some time ago about it, because the DVD Translations page said she was working on it, but she told me she actually isn't (in a way that it looked like she didn't even know what I was talking about).

This is what the page said, in the "current projects" section:

An traditional RPG but with action battles; third in the series...

Finding the pointer tables for this was extremely difficult, but DvD finally found the pointer to the first NPC!

Accomplished: Title Screen Hacked, Script Located, Pointer to first NPC finally found

Currently: aishsha translating what has actually been dumped

Apart from that, the two Famicom Jump arpgs look nice too, specially the second one, which seems to be on the same level as FFIII (regarding graphic quality, at least)!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 11:04:55 am by aqualung »

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 05:31:40 pm »
Thank you for the well wishes, aqualung.  I can only hope this can be finished someday.  I'm still trying to get the hang of dumping the script for this game, and I updated my script dump so that there's about seven pages instead of seventy-plus pages.  (I really hope I can get used to using this program to dump it correctly.  Fortunately, the script is NOT compressed, so that's a plus in my favor.)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 11:11:22 pm »
FYI: I made a dump of this script here. https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25981.0

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 03:21:50 am »
FYI: I made a dump of this script here. https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25981.0

I had no idea something like that already existed!  Thank you!  This saves me some trouble... now all I need is for someone to TL it from Japanese to English.  (I can only hope someone can do that for me...)

catwithbenefits

• 新人
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 05:43:58 pm »
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. However when I downloaded filler's script the text files were all junk characters no matter which encoding I used in Notepad.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 05:55:55 pm »
Seems to be Shift-JIS. It opened fine in whatever old version of Microsoft Word I have here.
However, the scripts have a lot of unidentified control codes.

Does standard Notepad even support characters beyond ASCII (or European extended ASCII)?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 07:11:46 pm »
Seems to be Shift-JIS. It opened fine in whatever old version of Microsoft Word I have here.

Yeah, I consider these translation ready scripts but not insertion ready scripts. I figure when somebody actually does the technical work on making an English patch they can redump the script and either copy paste into the new one, or ask the translator or another assistant to do so.

catwithbenefits

• 新人
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 07:39:58 pm »

Thank you! I thought UTF-8 in Notepad would have been fine, but I got it to open properly in Word.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 09:21:07 pm »

Does standard Notepad even support characters beyond ASCII (or European extended ASCII)?

I highly doubt so, but Notepad++ does. NJStar could also be used, it's a pretty nice Japanese text editor, for anyone who didn't know of it. It's not free, but it can still be used more or less reasonably after the trial period expires.

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Re: [Technical]Ushio & Tora (NES) Advanced ROM Hacking Request
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 10:58:47 pm »
I don't have to worry about finding a translator for Ushio & Tora (NES) right now.  I have another issue to deal with and is recruiting the assistance of an advanced NES Rom Hacker.  Description has been added on main post.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 06:28:27 am »
I've moved the name to the last bank and expanded its length, works for me. You probably were a bit greedy and used more than 7 characters, which is out of 0797-079D buffer range.

However I've only checked the very first fight, I don't know this game at all.

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 08:53:59 am »
I've moved the name to the last bank and expanded its length, works for me. You probably were a bit greedy and used more than 7 characters, which is out of 0797-079D buffer range.

However I've only checked the very first fight, I don't know this game at all.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/570722-ushio-to-tora-shinen-no-daiyou/faqs/69768

This walkthrough from GameFAQs can help you learn how to play the game if you're interested.

Also, this "last bank" you were referring to, can you explain to me how you were able to do it? 

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 10:26:41 am »
There was some free space at FF90, so I moved the name there from B6CF and changed pointers to it.

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 01:55:16 pm »
There was some free space at FF90, so I moved the name there from B6CF and changed pointers to it.

IT WORKED!!!

Thank you so much for helping me out with that!  That saved me one heck of a headache!

September 25, 2021, 10:03:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another roadblock...

This time, it has to do with the ending credits to the game.

When I replaced the game's Japanese font with an English one, this spilled into the game's ending credits as well.  So this means, I'm gonna have to fix this.

Fortunately, I figured out the pointer system for this area of the game (SetOff 8000), and finding free space for more text might not be an issue as well as I found a couple areas of empty space to fill up.  The problem is displaying said text.

Here's the area where the game's end credits text exists.  I did find empty space somewhere below that.  I did change the pointer that directs to the name of the where it's supposed to say "Original Works".  (Kazuhiro Fujita)  I did type up and rerouted the pointer, but when it was display time, It showed "Kazuhiro_F"... and that's it.  (That area displays only ten characters, just like it did in the unaltered ROM.) 

So how can I try to display more text in the ending credits?  Will this require some ASM voodoo to fit everything in?

P.S.:  Translation for this area is not an issue.  I found translations to the end credits on sites like MobyGames.

P.P.S.:  The aforementioned "blank space" can be found at 0xFFC2 to 0xFFEE (I don't know if pointers can be pointed from one bank to another) and another area of blank space at 0x13F9C to 0x13FEE
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 01:42:35 am by BlackPaladin »