News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Why did the patch-online process change?  (Read 968 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Why did the patch-online process change?
« on: August 11, 2021, 07:38:17 am »
Just a little while ago, I managed to patch Suikoden II without any problems.  I clicked "Patch online now", and all that came up was a dialogue box with two lists, allowing me to decide which bugfixes I want or don't want.

I just tried the same thing again now, thinking I had lost the patched ISO somehow, but this time, the link brought me to a completely different page.  I got a popup list asking me basically to select a single fix for any version, but even when I did that, I couldn't actually do anything afterwards.  I couldn't even click "Choose file", and there was nothing else to try clicking on.

Why did this change all of the sudden?

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
How do I convert my patched Suikoden II file to .bin?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:25:51 am »
I just got around to trying out my patched Suikoden II ISO, but Duckstation is unable to open it.

As it turns out, the file type is just "file" instead of ".bin".

Before I look into what to convert it with, how do I figure out what the actual file type even is?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Why did the patch-online process change?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:15:00 am »
This sounds like the same topic, so I merged it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I convert my patched Suikoden II file to .bin?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 12:09:43 pm »
As it turns out, the file type is just "file" instead of ".bin".

Before I look into what to convert it with, how do I figure out what the actual file type even is?
What's telling you that the file type is "file"? Are you looking at this on Mac OS, or what?

Is your unpatched ISO designated as ".bin" ?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Why did the patch-online process change?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 12:15:51 pm »
Well, I just got some help on Discord, and managed to fix the file itself simply by adding ".bin".  (Guess I should've tried that in the first place, instead of figuring it wouldn't constitute an actual extension.)

Still, why did this site have to downgrade such a convenient way to apply patches?  When I start commissioning for patches in the future, I don't want to have to instruct people to apply each change to a given game one at a time, lest some of them lose interest.