News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Kunio-Kun English Translation/Localization List  (Read 2037 times)

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
Kunio-Kun English Translation/Localization List
« on: August 03, 2021, 06:11:05 pm »
I just started playing games in the Kunio-Kun series and realized that there are lots of fun and diverse titles (beat-em-ups, sports spinoffs, puzzle games, etc.). However, a lot of these games never left Japan, and so the Western world may not be aware that many exceptional and unique games in this series exist at all, specifically some of the translations that exist on this site for those games. So I'd like to compile a list here of English translations or relocalizations for the Kunio-Kun series, and hopefully anybody who's interested in giving this series a shot will know what options are available to them to play those titles (beyond the obvious official localizations from decades past).

Breaking it down by console, we have the NES Kunio-Kun translations first:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:01:51 pm by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
Re: Kunio-Kun English Translation/Localization List
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 07:04:18 pm »
Wasn't Pennywise doing a translation of the Kunio games? He started with Renegade's japanese version, I think
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 07:49:44 pm »
There is an abandoned translation of River City Ransom 68K at http://www.romhacking.net/abandoned/ that I keep hoping someone will someday pick up again. It sounds so intriguing.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 08:40:57 pm »
Wasn't Pennywise doing a translation of the Kunio games? He started with Renegade's japanese version, I think

He was involved in both the Renegade and River City Ransom hacks on the list above.

There is an abandoned translation of River City Ransom 68K at http://www.romhacking.net/abandoned/ that I keep hoping someone will someday pick up again. It sounds so intriguing.

How hard is the X68000 to emulate today? I'd say that might have been a big part of the project's abandonment if it's difficult to get any games from the system up and running.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 10:02:54 pm »
How hard is the X68000 to emulate today?
Isn't everything but the most obscure stuff pretty easy to emulate these days? It's in Retroarch.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 11:11:31 pm »
He was involved in both the Renegade and River City Ransom hacks on the list above.

How hard is the X68000 to emulate today? I'd say that might have been a big part of the project's abandonment if it's difficult to get any games from the system up and running.
It was a hardrive failiure that stopped this afaik

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:48:45 am »
It was a hardrive failiure that stopped this afaik

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. :)

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 10:46:18 am »
There's also the PC Engine CD version of River City Ransom, which has voice acting. The three 3DS Kunio-kun games that weren't localized could be worked on as well. One is a remake of Renegade, one focuses on Riki, and the last one is a sequel to Jidai-Geki.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:03:05 pm »
Speaking of PC Engine CD, there's a remake of Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen for it. It has voiced anime cutscenes and updated soundtracks, it's very cool.

Darth Link X

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 03:30:30 pm »

To quote Pennywise concerning the Kunio games "This project officially began last year when I decided to persue my goal of retranslating all the Nekketsu/Kunio games. Even though there are various translations offical or not, I don't feel like the series has been properly translated consistently across all the games. This game felt appropriate as the first translation since it's the first game in the series as well. It was also fairly simple to do as there was only minimal text. Anyhow, it was through this project that I found the translator that I can hopefully work with to translate other games in the series."

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 05:33:43 pm »
Speaking of PC Engine CD, there's a remake of Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen for it. It has voiced anime cutscenes and updated soundtracks, it's very cool.
I recorded all the cutscenes hoping I could get them translated but was lazy so never did https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBFD644F9423C5E7E

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 05:57:05 pm »
I wonder if hacking subtitles would be harder than actually replacing the audio tracks with a fandub? I don't know, perhaps contact some famous fandubbing group to see if they're interested, I'm not too sure.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 06:09:33 pm »
I wonder if hacking subtitles would be harder than actually replacing the audio tracks with a fandub? I don't know, perhaps contact some famous fandubbing group to see if they're interested, I'm not too sure.
I was just gunna use youtube subs lol

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 06:18:39 pm »
That sounds like a plausible solution. Do you speak japanese? You could do it yourself if so you wanted to.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 06:22:22 pm »
That sounds like a plausible solution. Do you speak japanese? You could do it yourself if so you wanted to.
Nah, I was finding people to do a few simple translations a long time back but lost the motivation. They are up there for anyone to use or just enjoy now

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 09:01:57 pm »
For the sake of difficulty and keeping it rather untouched, I would rather just give it subtitles. It's also the same reason why I would like to see Jidai Geki get another round in fan translation (there are some gfx from FF3 in the current translation and the translation itself is old enough to have a beer, which brings me to another point. Compare both Sweet Home translations and see what the latter did. There's a thread somewhere on the forums about which Sweet Home translation to play and why, and someone brought up that the text didn't get truncated in the newer translation.)

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 06:14:51 am »
Usually when picking portuguese, fan-translations to play I choose the newer one, this might apply to english as well barring a few exceptions.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 08:39:11 am »

Both are usually equally difficult, though subbing is often plain impossible, because - unlike most other, later consoles - there's just one background layer and not enough space to sub things. That's one of the reasons as to why pretty much not a single PCE-CD game was originally subbed, but rather dubbed instead. Also, I assume that in the US they just have more of a dubbing culture, which is not the case in every European country. Either way, anything cutscene-related on that console takes a significant amount of work... which is also probably why almost nobody does that.