News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Battle Master (SNES) ending translation request  (Read 1060 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Battle Master (SNES) ending translation request
« on: August 03, 2021, 02:49:36 pm »
More specifically, I was wondering if anyone could please translate this one screen of text that appears during Syoh's ending. It seems like a rather comical scene for the main character after he wins the final battle against Zeno (the last boss). Most of the character endings in this fighting game seem to be quite funny actually. It's nice when games don't try to take themselves too seriously all the time. For one thing, how can the characters in this game breathe when fighting on the moon...?

Anyway, here's the link to the YouTube video at the time when said text appears (17:03):
https://youtu.be/syFFiqstzA4?t=1023

Please make sure to pause the video after clicking play, as this text will only stay on the screen for a few seconds before the credits roll. Thanks in advance for the help! I've been thinking about suggesting this game as a new potential translation project for Dynamic-Designs after we finish and release our current projects. We still haven't decided which games we'll work on next, but thought that this might help seal the deal for Battle Master.

There's also one more question that I had about the ending text. What are those two colon/quotation marks that appear above the Hiragana words? I can only read a bit of Japanese and have no idea what these markings could possibly mean. Are they in fact used as some sort of quotation marks?
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Battle Master (SNES) ending translation request
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 10:27:14 am »
Hi, Recca! If I understood you correctly, I think you're asking about the "tenten".

I don't know why that game developers have used a separated character slot for the tenten (personally,I find it weird), as other games have the whole kana alphabet including the ones with tenten and maru (I think all hiragana and katakana charcodes fit on a single byte, as I've seen in other snes games that only use kana such as Jungle Wars 2 or SD Gundam Ooinaru Isan).

About the text itself, I only managed to understand some words and very few more things, but not the whole meaning. I'll see if I manage to fit all the pieces together (maybe in the meantime, someone with real knowledge of Japanese would reply giving an accurate translation).

edit: ok, let's see. The original text is:
「うらあっ! ゼノっ! ねがいごとなんてケチなことは どーでもいいから、『うちゅういちいショウさまけました』と ぜんちゅうの みなさまに おつたえしやがれいっ!」

and with some kana changed into the kanji they represent, it should become something like this:
「うらあっ! ゼノっ! 願いごとなんてケチな事は どーでもいいから、『宇宙一強いショウ様に負けました』と 蠕虫の 皆様に お伝えしやがれいっ!」

Deepl is currently down, so what I manage to make sense of is something like:

Heeeey! Zeno! I don't care about your selfish wishes, so I'm gonna tell all the other runts that you've lost against the strongest man in the universe!

Not quite sure, though. It also could be he's ordering Zeno to tell the others that he lost, instead of telling them himself. Google translate returned:

"Ura! Zeno! It doesn't matter what the stingy thing is, so I'll tell all of you," I'm sorry for the show! "

Nice job, Google! You manage to do it even worse than me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (with the text changed to kanji, it did moderately better, though):

"Ura! Zeno! It doesn't matter what your wishes are, so please tell the worms that you've lost to the strongest show in the universe!"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:33:09 am by aqualung »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 02:52:21 pm »
Ah, I see. So that's what those marks were. Yeah, I also found it strange why they chose to use a separate character slot for them. If anyone is interested in reading further about the dakuten and handakuten marks, you can do so here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakuten_and_handakuten

And thanks for the translation, Aqualung! This game has a lot of humor in it, which is something that I really like about it. It seems like pretty much all of the characters have a pretty funny ending and motivation behind why they're fighting in this tournament. This along with the fast paced combat and sci-fi theme is a winning combination in my book. They even included air blocking, something which wasn't integrated into most fighting games at the time.

In this example, Syoh just wants to prove that he's the best fighter (as typical of many main characters in fighting games), but doesn't care in the slightest about being humble about it. If the game is completed on the hardest difficulty setting, the player can see all the other characters' endings (minus the text). For those who are curious to see them and don't mind spoilers, you can look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTjUs40Sx0

Anyway, thanks again for providing a translation for this ending! Hopefully this thread will help convince my teammates that this game is worth translating after our other projects are completed. I wouldn't mind translating this game into Romanian as well afterwards.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 06:29:23 am »
Just a small correction: 蠕虫 -> 全宇宙 (all the universe)

「うらあっ! ゼノっ! 願いごとなんてケチな事は どーでもいいから、『宇宙一強いショウ様に負けました』と 全宇宙の 皆様に お伝えしやがれいっ!」

As for the translation, I have no idea about the game, but it sounds like beating the final boss would enable the hero to be granted wishes? If that's the case, it's something like

"Ura (some grunt)! Zeno! I don't care about meaningless things like wishes, so just tell the entire universe 'I lost to Shou-sama, the strongest fighter in the universe!'"

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 07:40:12 am »
Just a small correction: 蠕虫 -> 全宇宙 (all the universe)

「うらあっ! ゼノっ! 願いごとなんてケチな事は どーでもいいから、『宇宙一強いショウ様に負けました』と 全宇宙の 皆様に お伝えしやがれいっ!」

As for the translation, I have no idea about the game, but it sounds like beating the final boss would enable the hero to be granted wishes? If that's the case, it's something like

"Ura (some grunt)! Zeno! I don't care about meaningless things like wishes, so just tell the entire universe 'I lost to Shou-sama, the strongest fighter in the universe!'"

Hahaha, you're right, I read zenchuu instead of zen uchuu ;D

It sounded right to me because I thought that he was talking about the other fighters and considering them like "worms" compared to him.

Thanks for the correction  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:54:27 am by aqualung »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 10:45:38 pm »
Endings, my favorite subject. Hope you guys get to translate the game!

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 01:22:16 am »
Thanks for the clarification on the translation, LostTemplar! It's nice to see that you're still active on these boards. The last time I believe we talked was when we were still working together on translating those misc text files for Burning Heroes back in 2009-2012. Anyway, thanks again for the translation and I hope that you're doing well.

As for the plot of the game, I don't really know what's going on too much since I'm not fluent in Japanese (I only know how to read a bit of it). But from what I can tell, Zeno seems to be some very powerful alien warrior that wants to challenge the best fighters in the universe. And based on the various endings, it does indeed seem like he's willing to grant a person's wish or desire if they're able to beat him in a fair fight. I'm also unsure if this is done via magic of some sort or because he has a lot of money and power/influence.

I've only played as Syoh, which is why I was curious what was being said in his ending. This game is definitely one of those typical Street Fighter II clones that existed throughout the 90s. However, it's one of the better ones that's quite enjoyable. I only wish that it had some more playable characters to choose from, but everything else about it was well made. The graphics and music are good, the gameplay is fast paced and the endings are funny. Hopefully, we'll pick up this game as well to translate after our current projects are finished and released.