News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Technical] [SCD] Working Designs game retranslation  (Read 1355 times)

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
    • a little house in the savannah
[Technical] [SCD] Working Designs game retranslation
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:21:33 am »
Yo. I'm interested in retranslating Working Designs games, but I'd like to start with the Mega CD games first. I've translated a bit of the dialogue in Lunar: Silver Star and Popful Mail on my site, hosted on raocow's talkhaus. For simplicity's sake (and also because I'm currently without much money), I'm considering leaving in the English cutscene voices, Popful Mail can have JP voices in gameplay, it's jank but oh well.

I'm not interested in censoring anything that was in the original game, at the very most I'll include a content warning in the readme. I'm interested in preserving original intent without making it too dry and literal. However, I don't really have the ability to do much other than alter text (at least the English version of Lunar TSS has it as ASCII). I'd like a 68000 hacker to help me possibly mess with the internals of the game if needed.
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: [Technical] [SCD] Working Designs game retranslation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 02:19:57 pm »
I think there were people dedicated to rebalancing WD games. They had a thread here that got bumped from time to time. But I don't remember now if they only did rebalancing or also retranslated things here and there. Perhaps you could try to contact them.

KobaBeach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 11:12:26 am »
I think there were people dedicated to rebalancing WD games. They had a thread here that got bumped from time to time. But I don't remember now if they only did rebalancing or also retranslated things here and there. Perhaps you could try to contact them.
sankyuu

They only rebalanced, I thought about contacting Supper but I wasn't sure if like they'd be like up for it considering the amount of shitters who go in their thread to shitpost, I personally got some people (partial lurkers?) mad that I thought the jab at the start of Eternal Blue MCD that amounted to basically Ruby going "lol u gay" at Leo was kind of in poor taste (vivify's reply gave me energy tho). I did not interact with them because I didn't want to get in trouble here haha. Someone even started going on about cancel culture it was completely bonkers.

I also considered that Supper might just be tired/without much time available. And since they seemed to be working on Yumimi Mix before technical difficulties screwed that one up, subbing is hard in a game with full screen cinematics, not enough VRAM. So they might not be interested in MCD translations. Lunar: Silver Star has subtitles in the JP version, so that one should be relatively easy. Eternal Blue has more extensive cinematics though (super fluid too, some excellent use of the VDPs), so I'm not sure if subbing is possible.

Again, I am willing to port the Working Designs dub to the FMV. I personally am having trouble figuring out the dialogue in Popful Mail's cutscenes apart from what is there in the PC88 release due to the audio mixing, voices are too low, a shame since Megumi Hayashibara is one of my faves, love her in Slayers. We might have to contend with Trader Jake's lol.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 01:28:25 pm »
Over at Sega-16 we once floated the wacky idea of using the 32X for subs on FMV cutscenes. Probably impractical, especially since there are Mega CD games that are incompatible with the 32X, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

KobaBeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 01:43:02 pm »
Over at Sega-16 we once floated the wacky idea of using the 32X for subs on FMV cutscenes. Probably impractical, especially since there are Mega CD games that are incompatible with the 32X, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I'm willing to learn SH2 ASM for it if necessary lmaoooo. The only issue is debuggers and also the time it takes to get used to writing it. I've sent Supper a PM btw, hope I don't stress them out.

The only ASM I know well enough so far is 65816 (in SNES contexts). bsnes-plus is super good. Heard good things about Mesen too, SMW hackers like myself just tend to use Revenant's debugger more. Also need to figure out cracking compression algorithms. I imagine it's mostly a case of reverse engineering the game but using Gens KMod is a bit hard lol, and then I wonder how recompressing should be done? I'm thinking like... Recompressing in a more space friendly manner, but then patching in my redecompression algorithm in.

If anyone's willing to be my fairy godparent as I figure this out I'd be happy! I'd like to translate some other games like the remaining two Albert Odyssey titles (1 is pretty average, but someone, especially fans of the Saturn game, might be interested) or even just help people.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 04:21:20 pm »
I'm willing to learn SH2 ASM for it if necessary lmaoooo. The only issue is debuggers and also the time it takes to get used to writing it.
I appreciate your can-do spirit! :D Here's the thread at Sega-16:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?31926-Using-32X-to-subtitle-Mega-CD-FMVs

It's a goofy idea but could actually work really well, though it demands technical skills I don't have. (Maybe one could funnel a bootloader of sorts into the 32X's 256KB of RAM, which would then handle everything without further loads?)

If you want a test case, I seem to remember that someone figured out the encoding scheme for the cutscenes in Earnest Evans, and I believe there are subtitles/captions on YouTube.

KobaBeach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 05:15:29 pm »
I appreciate your can-do spirit! :D
Dude I:
* Learned 65816 ASM with Ersanio and SMWCentral's tutorials just so I could make my own Brutal Mario or one-man VIP and Wall Mix. Took me a while but started for reals a few months ago, working on it on and off while waiting for a chance to be re-unbanned from SMWC is available (I'm brain bad and have been in a pretty rough place for a while, the staff understands, I'm friends with most of them)
* At one point did Learn Python the Hard Way (apparently that's not a good guide? lol) during a summer vacation when I was in my high school's Computer Science course, to be better prepared, forgot most of it, this was before Python 3 was standardized.
* Am trying to learn how to work with a Lua plugin for Super Mario Bros. X 2.0, for level making and contest entering (mostly on raocow's talkhaus, an LPer's forum).
* Read through a bit of MarkeyJester's 68k tutorial, also forgot most of it haha

If I have a goal, I will do my best to learn programming. Aimlessly, though, I can't do it.

I just, again, don't know about decompression, which is important for help extracting graphics and text, someone on here mentioned just cracking it wrt Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch's Windows version (and by extension most Falcom games), but I've never done anything like that.

I suppose I can reverse engineer the game? I tried EsperKnight's (C#? C++?) code for Falcom's compression and it kept crashing. I also considered reverse engineering the PC game but I had no idea how to start, bit off more than I could chew haha. I might give it another shot in a WinXP virtual machine, so it's less crash prone. But later on, once I'm not doing like Lunar and stuff.

I might hop on over to S16 for advice, as long as I don't get disgruntled WorkDes fans giving me vibe checks (god that's an old joke). I do need to play more MegaDrive games myself (more of a Saturn fan).

(Before anyone asks, I own Mario Maker 2. I simply prefer to play other folks' stages. I just don't like closed development environments, ironic since I use Lunar Magic. I'm just not good enough to make my own editor right now.)