News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: 3DS MH tools?  (Read 1502 times)

ZevelsGreatAxe

• View Profile
3DS MH tools?
« on: July 25, 2021, 01:37:41 am »
I was looking into making a mod for MH3U and MH4U (and maybe MHXX for the heck of it). But, while I found some people who apparently had made tools for MH3U and the like, all of their links are dead. There was someone by the name of Zindea on GBATemp who had some delightful information, but every last link of theirs that I could find is down and their Discord invite is dead.

Does anyone here know of any weapon editor, quest editor (to edit preexisting quests, not to make a new event quest), or text editor for the 3DS version of MH3U?

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
Re: 3DS MH tools?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 11:46:24 am »
I got your PM, so I'll answer in here.

As you know, I recently made a Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) weapon editor and I still have my notes for that. http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1627/

I used the debugger in Dolphin to find the weapon stat table in the iso file.  Here is some of that info which may help you find what you're looking for in your Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS ROM.  Keep in mind that Wii uses big endian, and I think that 3DS uses little endian.

Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) weapon stat table info for the Iron Lance.  This is from the iso file (you can use a hex editor to view this):

ISO address:

0x16A57AA = Iron Lance Rarity value (changes it from Rare1, to Rare2, etc)
0x16A57AC = Iron Lance cost (4 bytes).
0x16A57B0 = Iron Lance Sharpness data (2 bytes).
0x16A57B2 = Iron Lance Attack/Damage value (2 bytes).
0x16A57B4 = Iron Lance Defense (Def +) value (1 byte).
0x16A57B5 = Iron Lance Affinity value (1 byte).

I haven't done much with 3DS games, so I'll get back to you when I've done a little research.
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 04:27:56 pm »
But, while I found some people who apparently had made tools for MH3U and the like, all of their links are dead. There was someone by the name of Zindea on GBATemp who had some delightful information, but every last link of theirs that I could find is down and their Discord invite is dead.
Could you provide some links to the pages you were looking at? Sometimes these things are not always as dead as they seem.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ZevelsGreatAxe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:28:07 am »
A friend of mine managed to track down Zindea, one of the old MH3U modders
They sent a bunch of modding tools, but there's very little documentation. I don't know how to make use of the tools.
Still, I'm sure it'd be useful to someone, so I'm linking it below.

This is also including a Custom Quest editor I was sent from the same guy.
To the best of my knowledge, all of these were created by Zindea; I make no promises of viability or functionality and do not claim them as my own. They've said they moved on from MH3U, so if you have any troubles, keep on poking and try to maintain basic documentation.
If you manage to find/make a list of weapon IDs and the format of the weapon bytes, I would LOVE to see a .txt on dissecting that.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ooLr8O4NaD4HmxfZNk-tCkeLhKOzxrVP/view?usp=sharing

In the folder is:
*Custom Quest Editor
*ARC Compressor
*QuickBMS (?), an ARC Extractor
*ARC-Writer, an ARC injector
*Texture Tools

ZevelsGreatAxe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:33:58 am »
ISO address:

If there isn't any unused data, then either it's not uniform for each weapon or things like Switchaxe Phials are probably stored elsewhere...
That said, it is Tri, so if I'm not mistaken a lot of weapons were stripped because they were too similar. 3U will probably have a slightly more complex structure (and in very different locations), though the basic tenets should be the same.
I'd assume Sharpness is representative of specific "formats"... So instead of being arbitrary versions of sharpness, each instance of sharpness used in the game is a specific pre-programmed version. Which I think is how Relics work in MH4U, so that makes sense.
Also, I don't see element anywhere? Is element and weapon-specific stuff bytes 0x16A57B6 to B7 and 0x16A57B8 respectively or something?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:45:22 am by ZevelsGreatAxe »

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:52:59 pm »
ISO address:

If there isn't any unused data, then either it's not uniform for each weapon or things like Switchaxe Phials are probably stored elsewhere...
That said, it is Tri, so if I'm not mistaken a lot of weapons were stripped because they were too similar. 3U will probably have a slightly more complex structure (and in very different locations), though the basic tenets should be the same.
I'd assume Sharpness is representative of specific "formats"... So instead of being arbitrary versions of sharpness, each instance of sharpness used in the game is a specific pre-programmed version. Which I think is how Relics work in MH4U, so that makes sense.
Also, I don't see element anywhere? Is element and weapon-specific stuff bytes 0x16A57B6 to B7 and 0x16A57B8 respectively or something?

The chunk of data that each weapon uses for it's stats is much larger than the specific addresses I posted for the Iron Lance.  If I remember correctly, there were bytes on either side of those addresses that the Iron Lance used as well.

The two Sharpness bytes appear to change how the multi-colored Sharpness gauge is displayed.  I ended up not using the sharpness data in the editor, so I didn't bother figuring out how it worked.

I don't have anything in my notes about the Element stat.  The Element stat could be before or after those addresses.

I'm having trouble finding the MH3U ROM for 3DS. It is against the rules to post any ROM links, so can you send me a PM with a safe site to get that?  I'll take a look at it.
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides