News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Shmup-vania?  (Read 940 times)

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Shmup-vania?
« on: November 07, 2021, 04:02:27 pm »
I just started playing "Earth Atlantis" on my Switch, and it is a fascinating concept. It has metroid-vania style exploration with shootem-up (shmup) gameplay. There's even a bit of bullet-hell thrown in for good measure. Now, while Earth Atlantis fails to really explore that concept well, it made me realize that the genre could actually really work. Does anyone know of any other games that have tried something similar?

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Shmup-vania?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:57:48 pm »
There was a gba game called Sigma Star Saga that mixed a bird-view rpg/adventure game with brief shoot'm-up styled battles as random encounters, and it also had some long shooter stages from time to time (kind of like the platformer stages in Gargoyles Quest).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 07:42:16 pm »
The Guardian Legend (NES) and Cosmotank (Game Boy) spring to mind, but I'm not sure those qualify.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Baggins

• View Profile

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 09:48:35 pm »
Oh, of course! Aquaria! I thought I was forgetting something obvious.  Such a pity there was never a follow-up.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet probably qualifies too, in that regard.

There are probably a bunch of old British games that qualify as well. SQIJ comes to mind - the original Spectrum port is widely regarded as a fine candidate for The Worst Game Ever, but the other versions (including the much later Spectrum port) are probably fine.  Maybe Solar Jetman? Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:57:35 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:10:09 am »
If you never played super air wolf/crossfire on the megadrive/genesis then not necessarily what you are after but could be scratch the itch after a fashion.

Likewise I am probably supposed to point you at the Nier franchise. Most of its bosses seem to go for shmup style gameplay, indeed bullet hell, after a fashion but the rest is a nice RPG.

Back on scratching them same itch then might want to look at twin stick shooters. Many of the modern ones have at least broached such topics. Few roguelikes/roguelites also went there -- PS4 PSN+ in Europe had one that did something for that (future sci fi type deal, you are taking down a corporation by waking up literal sleeping agents and sending them in). Sadly I don't have anything in the likes of "like Rogue Legacy but shmup".

For some earlier stuff then the DSiware games, most of which got backported to the DS, did a small shooting robot crawling around and exploring type thing that is kind of where that was going. Though one that was not and might be worth investigating is Dark Void Zero (a handheld spinoff of the less than stellar jet pack game Dark Void from home consoles in a similar timeframe).

You may even want to go even more old school. Some of the gravity games that once sat alongside shmups. https://www.turboraketti.org/tr/index_e.html and Thrust for the Amiga tending to be the main ones. Though if I am doing Amiga and this sort of thing I might actually suggest an old favourite in Simulcra, more on the metroidvania aspect (though far smaller "levels") but still in a ship and some reactions needed.

Sigma Star Saga mentioned above is a good game but not sure it would go for this. If we are stretching things though then do make sure you played megaman battle network (5 on the DS is probably my suggested entry point) and can go back and do some GBA things. Its battles scratch my reactions, patterns and whatnot from shmups itch.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:25 am »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am checking out Aquaria and The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human. That 2nd title looks to be exactly what I had in mind.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 07:43:27 am »
There was a gba game called Sigma Star Saga that mixed a bird-view rpg/adventure game with brief shoot'm-up styled battles as random encounters, and it also had some long shooter stages from time to time (kind of like the platformer stages in Gargoyles Quest).
I played it for a few levels back in the day, it was interesting though I didn't get very far. It had some RPG elements too - you gain experience IIRC from the sidescroller shooting sections. The walkabout sections were more like Zelda III but with a pistol.

The art reminded me of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

I think Doom RL or Jupiter Hell might meet your criteria very loosely.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 07:10:55 am »
Jorpho mentioned Solar Jetman for the NES, which was the first game I thought of.

Weirdly, in a sort of microcosm-ish way, the original Defender was something of a mission-based game too, in that you could rescue survivors of the alien attackers or somesuch, and you could travel left or right in each "round." I wouldn't go as far as to call it "Metroid Level" exploration by any means, but I've always sort of thought of it as the great granddaddy of space exploration games, just because of this mechanic.

It's obscenely old, though, so don't expect a ticker tape parade on bootup.
Yamero~~!