News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Games that put you to sleep.  (Read 1878 times)

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Games that put you to sleep.
« on: July 18, 2021, 01:43:28 pm »
So I've been trying to play Shin Megami Tensei IV again, but keep finding myself getting absolutely zonked after less than a half hour playing, sometimes I literally just pass out without even being able to pause. I have never had a game put me out with such sheer soporific force, and I have no idea why, it's not boring in the least either..

So anyways, do you all have games that do this to you? Or movies if you prefer.
I'm curious.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Games that put you to sleep.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 05:41:09 pm »
I don't really have any games that put me to sleep because they're too boring; if I find a game boring, I don't continue to play it.

However, I have many times fallen asleep playing a game. Particularly Final Fantasy VI, usually when grinding out spells/levels, though there have been other times where I've nodded off in the middle of flying the airship looking for Doom Gaze. Imagine my surprise to wake up with a big scratchy ZOOT ZOOT :D
Yamero~~!

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 06:34:46 pm »
Just about any turn-based RPG. I find those extremely tedious/boring and unworthy of my time. The only exceptions that come to mind are Pokemon and the Mario and Luigi series. Maybe Undertale and Deltarune in the future if I decide to give them a try.

For movies, 2001: A Space Odyssey is the most mind-numbingly boring film I have ever watched. And that's coming from a huge sci-fi fan who can also tolerate the kind of low budget movies that appear on Mystery Science Theater 3000 often. 2001 is easily one of my least favorite movies of all time (it might be number 1 on that list).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 06:41:28 pm by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

GamesBR

• View Profile
    • lucasjogos.forumeiros.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:11:02 pm »
I already slept when I was playing and my soul entered the game, and I played dreaming has this happened to you?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 10:11:48 pm »
do you all have games that do this to you? Or movies if you prefer.
These are completely different things, surely? Generally a game demands your active participation.

It so happens I was reading the other day that apparently falling asleep to Futurama is a trend.
https://www.cracked.com/article_30723_futurama-sleepers-swear-the-animated-series-is-the-key-to-a-good-nights-sleep.html
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 03:10:25 am »
For the NES, there's this game called Dynowarz. As much as I love old-school platformers, the combination of music/gameplay in that game invariably puts me to sleep. I don't like stealth games very much also, so generally those tend to be boring for me to play, too.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 01:57:02 pm »
Isn't Deep Blue well-regarded as the most boring shooter on the TurboGrafx?

I remember feeling kind of bored after playing the first level of Strike Gunner STG for the SNES, when renting the game back in the day.
I wonder if that has to do with that, for some reason, the US and PAL versions default to Easy (1) difficulty while the Japanese version defaults to Normal (2).
(though different from the arcade original, where "Normal" is a game that wants you dead in like 10 seconds! Something we can laugh about playing it in MAME, but might forget the feeling of putting real money in a machine and that happening. Player-hating game design! Gradius III AC is the only other game I immediately recall being as evil. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 09:34:56 pm »
Something we can laugh about playing it in MAME, but might forget the feeling of putting real money in a machine and that happening. Player-hating game design! Gradius III AC is the only other game I immediately recall being as evil. :P )
Good ol' quarter munchers, I didn't grow up with access to an arcade, but I've played some beastly classic arcade games at the place in town the last few years.

For the NES, there's this game called Dynowarz. As much as I love old-school platformers, the combination of music/gameplay in that game invariably puts me to sleep. I don't like stealth games very much also, so generally those tend to be boring for me to play, too.
This is what I'm getting with SMT IV, some bizarre combination of gameplay and music that just reaches into my head and punches my shutoff button.

These are completely different things, surely? Generally a game demands your active participation.

It so happens I was reading the other day that apparently falling asleep to Futurama is a trend.
https://www.cracked.com/article_30723_futurama-sleepers-swear-the-animated-series-is-the-key-to-a-good-nights-sleep.html
Interesting, I had no idea that people were using Futurama of all things as a sleep aid lol. I only asked about movies too because I thought maybe it was maybe just related to the audio/visuals and not the gameplay, but you make a good point.

I already slept when I was playing and my soul entered the game, and I played dreaming has this happened to you?
I can't say it has, I don't usually get dreams that I can remember, I have dreamed of beta-testing a Final Fantasy Star Fox clone though...

Just about any turn-based RPG. I find those extremely tedious/boring and unworthy of my time. The only exceptions that come to mind are Pokemon and the Mario and Luigi series. Maybe Undertale and Deltarune in the future if I decide to give them a try.

For movies, 2001: A Space Odyssey is the most mind-numbingly boring film I have ever watched. And that's coming from a huge sci-fi fan who can also tolerate the kind of low budget movies that appear on Mystery Science Theater 3000 often. 2001 is easily one of my least favorite movies of all time (it might be number 1 on that list).
Undertale/Deltarune have pretty kickass soundtracks and interesting combat, the in-between sections might be a bit tedious though, also you're going to loathe Genocide, I don't recommend the route if grinding bores you.

Personally I didn't have a problem with 2001, but I can see why you wouldn't like it, for better or for worse it's unique. The pacing, music, and art direction make it one of a kind.

I don't really have any games that put me to sleep because they're too boring; if I find a game boring, I don't continue to play it.

However, I have many times fallen asleep playing a game. Particularly Final Fantasy VI, usually when grinding out spells/levels, though there have been other times where I've nodded off in the middle of flying the airship looking for Doom Gaze. Imagine my surprise to wake up with a big scratchy ZOOT ZOOT :D

ZOOT ZOOT!

mindspirail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 09:56:36 pm »
any game with microtransactions makes me want to take a snoze as it turns me off bad to the game

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 01:22:16 pm »
Zelda: A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy 4 on the SNES have some really sleepy music, especially the savefile selection screens. Something about that SNES reverb is hypnotic and relaxing.

Ecco the Dolphin on Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. Phantasy Star 2 for the beautiful music and endless grinding.

Metroid on the NES, partially due to the hideous amount of copy/paste in the level design, and the volume of backtracking required as you explore. Same for Faxanadu, plus its mushroom-and-dog-turds color scheme and lovely music.

Dungeon Explorer on the TG-16, the most beautiful music on the console.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 12:10:23 am »
The "hideous amount of copy/paste in the level design" in both Metroid and both Zelda NES games was probably due to its Famicom Disk System origins. Needing to keep the level data small in size to fit that and the game engine within its 32KB RAM limit without needing loading times (see "Relics" which stops to load every time you take like five steps).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 08:25:25 pm »
Phantasy Star 2 for the beautiful music and endless grinding.
I've been K.O'd by Phantasy Star II several times actually, allegedly the hellmaze dungeons were the result of a new employee getting a little, how should I say... "overzealous" with his work, designing all of these maps without being asked, and the rest of the staff didn't wanna let the guy down so they put them in anyways.

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 01:39:09 am »
I'm not a big fan of puzzle games in general, so stuff like Columns and Tetris make me bored. Not necessarily sleepy, just bored. I find them unattractive and tedious, althrough this effect doesn't happen to me with JRPGs...
I guess I just learned to see what's fun in that genre?
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too