News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters  (Read 9264 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
« on: June 16, 2021, 03:39:38 am »
So we don't know much about these since the trailer is pretty barebones but rpgsite.net posted this comparison of the sprites that were shown
What do you guys think? I like the ff 1 sprite better, ff 4 and 5 sprites the same and hope they touch up the 6 sprites with more shading.
I hope we get more news soon!

Special

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 07:35:36 am »
All the OG ones are vastly better.

And I hope whoever did those IOS/Steam port ones is still getting lashes for it.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 07:59:03 am »
The only one I like better than the original is Rosa, who always looked a little off to me in the SNES version. Not sure why they didn't just use the original sprites.

And of course, the ones I'd really love to see here are missing: A 2D remade version of the FF3 sprites.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 08:28:18 am »
It looks like old FF games will never get any clear visual upgrades anymore beyond what they got originally when some of the old games were brought to GBA, PSP etc.

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 07:17:56 pm »
I think the sprites look far better than the 2013/2014 stuff and far worse than the originals.

I've only played the original trilogy but of those I feel the WSC/PS1/GBA graphics were the nicest overall. Darn shame there just wasn't anything done for FF3 and everything from the WSC version is probably completely lost, knowing Square.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:53:40 pm »
It’s pretty clear that the original sprites were meant for CRT TVs and relied on smearing + high contrast to create the illusion of more shades (especially evident with FF6’s original sprites). The new Pixel Remaster sprites look like they’re for LCD’s and kind of look like what the originals would on a CRT, but since the targeted screen type is different it looks completely different to the raw pixel art of the originals.

With that said I do like the new sprites actually, just wish they had a bit more contrast. Also wish the collection was coming to consoles instead of just phones & PC.
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 09:11:42 am »
10+ years ago I would have considered myself crazy for thinking of it, but the original sprites also take scanlines into account. Even through emulation, good blur filters with a decent attempt at scanline simulation(hopefully not super dark lines, or ones too close together) and things would look a lot more rounded out/less jagged.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 10:12:31 am »
I feel like I've asked about this a bunch of times, but did all the enthusiasm for cleaning up the Steam releases ever result in something definitive? Or did people just give up?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 12:47:43 pm »
nothing's definitive in this world, especially not things coming from the modding scene.
the one mod that maybe comes close would be the Atma Weapon mod for FF6. it's mostly complete, fully usable, and a definite, huge improvement over the official release, but i think its makers are still working on it, so it's not definitive still.
there's a bunch of mods for other installments, but not much, and nothing big. there's some WIP stuff too, but it's going slow, as is often the case with these things.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 01:42:09 pm »
Well that was depressing...
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 04:15:10 pm »
I just think the sprites need more shading and they would be better, nothing a simple mod can't fix.
So from the trailers the enviroments and monster sprites look beautiful as always.
They also seem to have a mini map feature, lets hope no mobile ui "feature" for the steam release.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 12:19:48 am »
What do you think of the expanded sprites in FF Brave Exvius? I wish they make a remake with those:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/mobile/finalfantasybraveexvius/

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 12:45:34 pm »
Will it be NES and Super NES pixels or will they be enhanced?

Will they be on Nintnedo Switch, PlayStation 4 or Xbox one or Steam program?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 01:34:32 pm »
I'm kinda split about this.  I remember a certain article explaining in great detail what was wrong with the most recent FFV/VI versions.  These sprites seem to only take into account the writer's criticism with nothing else, to the point that I wonder if Mr. Intern is going to be heading this project once again.  I'm not passing judgement, I hope they get it right this time around.  I just hope that this is not giving me a look forward into the same thing all over again, but slightly better looking and costing more money.

I agree with the shading though.  Weirdly, that's the one thing they didn't address and I wonder why?  Either a mod or some nice CRT filtering with ReShade can easily fix up the sprite flaws though.

All the OG ones are vastly better.

And I hope whoever did those IOS/Steam port ones is still getting lashes for it.
Actually, if I remember correctly they contacted the sprite artist for the original games for the Steam/Mobile ports.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:58:36 pm by Chronosplit »

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 04:18:51 pm »
Why just Steam and Mobile devices?

Jackie Lyn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 04:38:15 pm »
I like how clean the new sprites look. The way the line weight is handled (heavy on the outside, thin on the inside) helps clarify some detailing that gets a bit cluttered in the original sprites. However, they do seem to fall into the common remastering trope of making everything lighter and brighter, and the shading seems noticeably weaker than the originals, especially the lack of shine on Cecil's armor and the simple gradient work on the FFVI sprites. If nothing else, they're certainly better than those flat, smeared looking ios sprites. That Locke sprite from 2014 is straight up awful. The posing and depth are almost nonexistent. And I know that's supposed to be his pecs, but it looks like a beer gut the more I look at it.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 09:42:02 pm »
Why just Steam and Mobile devices?
Because Square usually ports stuff to every device known to man, except these two games.  So we just say it was on those two platforms to separate them from the SNES, PS1, and GBA versions.  The PC port actually was a long time after the mobile version, who knows why.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 10:08:39 pm »
I guess I will stay with fan translation of 1 through 6 on RetroN 5 and 7 though 10 on Nintendo Switch then.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 05:01:24 am »
SE fans love to complain about stuff, it's like they're in a competition with Star Wars and Star Trek fans to be the most whiny fandom that exists.

I cannot think of a single release from SE that has happened since the Internet first went live where I have not read about someone whining about it, and I have yet to meet anyone like me who is merely pleased that they haven't forgotten that I exist, after I got enthralled with FF1 as a kid in the 90s.

Now, I might sound like I'm being spicy af (and I am), but there is another side to all of this... I tend to think that, the more sentimental a fandom is about the object of their fanatacism, the whinier they tend to be, or appear to be. I was taught a long time ago by the person who gave birth to me (RIP) that I was too old to be whining about things, and I guess it makes me mildly irate to hear people whine about anything beyond a certain age.

But that's a problem that philosophy has yet to solve about humanity, if you think about it. Wow this got deeper than I thought it would when I started typing it. I'm gonna post it anyway because apparently I'm always happy to have 20 fans of things jumping down my throat online.

Meh. I probably won't get a chance to read internet stuff for another couple days anyway and by then I'll have forgotten how irritated I was.
Yamero~~!

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 08:58:04 am »
Heh, well, not to sound like a broken record, but that really is just the internet for you. If you actually talk to people in those fandoms that don't live on the internet, there'd probably be a lot less whining.

I'll still never get the hate for Ted Woolsey. I mean, thanks to this guy, you were able to play these Squaresoft games as a resident of North America in the first place. Whether you could make a more accurate translation of the games he worked on 20+ years later, with much more modern tools, and all the time in the world, or not.