News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida  (Read 40263 times)

RedDogs

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2021, 11:17:00 pm »
Don't even get me started on this, he is aware

OK, I'm judging from that reaction that the group has given up already. Most unfortunate. Game deserves to be better polished

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2021, 07:24:03 pm »
OK, I'm judging from that reaction that the group has given up already. Most unfortunate. Game deserves to be better polished

No, we have not given up anything —This evening I have sent another update—. It's just a valid synonym for King Dragon that appears in one sentence in the whole DQ1. I like it, and wanted to leave it unchanged as a matter of editorial respect to the original RPGOne's script, since it's not even a bug or glitch, or malfunctioning, and it has some philological/historical value in ROMhacking scene. It's not Gwaelyn and that stuff that has nothing to do with Laura, for example, that we did replace. It's not a typo. It's not characters' names being reversed in DQ2. It's just refering once to King Dragon as Dragonlord for adding a little of lexical variety to the game, even though it was originally due to a mistake this people made in 2002 when doing two versions of the same patch. What for you is "just a mistake", for me it's archaeology.

RedDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2021, 10:45:37 pm »
No, we have not given up anything —This evening I have sent another update—. It's just a valid synonym for King Dragon that appears in one sentence in the whole DQ1. I like it, and wanted to leave it unchanged as a matter of editorial respect to the original RPGOne's script, since it's not even a bug or glitch, or malfunctioning, and it has some philological/historical value in ROMhacking scene. It's not Gwaelyn and that stuff that has nothing to do with Laura, for example, that we did replace. It's not a typo. It's not characters' names being reversed in DQ2. It's just refering once to King Dragon as Dragonlord for adding a little of lexical variety to the game, even though it was originally due to a mistake this people made in 2002 when doing two versions of the same patch. What for you is "just a mistake", for me it's archaeology.

Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't the point of your patch was to 'fix' RPGone's unpolished translation, correct? So, after seeing your post, I went and downloaded both of RPGone's original patches and loaded up the DW version. And they refer to the main antagonist as "The Dragonlord" or simply as Dragonlord.  But in their DQ version, all references to him was changed to "King Dragon", except for the one time at hand. (Personally, Dragonlord does sound better as I grew up with Dragon Warrior). It only makes sense that they missed one, and it should be King Dragon. Now granted this is your 'fix' and you're gonna do whatever questionable choices to fit your own agenda. But to claim editorial respect, after your changing their "Ball of Light" lines... idk man, seems like youre making their work your own, instead of polishing their work and making this 'fix' how their's should have been. That would have shown true respect to RPGone...

Now I know why lilpuddy31 seems like he/she wants to bow out

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2021, 01:01:53 am »
I'll just wait until I grew up and get a Switch so that I could play the Switch version.

There's just no definitive version of DQ1 and 2. :)

And for DQ3, I like the GBC version for its extra content, and also because the GBC version's short but effective translation is better than the SNES version's long and buggy translation. :) :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:07:19 am by lan-vuhoang »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2021, 05:28:05 am »

And everyone else hates it, it's a mistake just like everything else you've fixed has been
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:48:24 am by Bosco82 »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2021, 06:04:10 am »
Hatred is a very strong word.
Why hate?

There's just no definitive version of DQ1 and 2. :)
Because of "Dragonlord" there is no definite version?

Quote from: RedDogs
Now I know why lilpuddy31 seems like he/she wants to bow out.
Lilpuddy31 has not bown out anything.
For this little thing she or he has suggested me and I've not agreed I have fixed like 30 other bugs or typos reported by her or him, just in Dragon Quest 1. Including one that doesn't let you save the game after reaching maximum level (level 30), that I think is much more important than that nonsense of using just one only synonymic instance for King Dragon in the whole game, due to the interference of an alternate version of RPGOne's patch with DW localization.

So, then, according to you this patch is an arbitrary crap because I just fix malfunctioning glitches, garbage letters, Rolando being cloned and erasing the princess from your party (and from the game), wrong text pointers, game breaking mistakes while copying/translating a dialog control codes, wrong variable codes for names and even for the price of an Inn that showed experience instead, no random name generating system, an untranslated ending in Japanese, Gwaelyn instead Laura, an item being mentioned in your inventory like a completely different thing, the vault erasing your stored money if it exceeds 65536 and all that.
And just because in one instance I decided to respect one damn synonym that adds literary quality to the script, even if originally was due to a typo, this patch deserves to be thrown to garbage.
I like the logic you're handling here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 02:09:34 pm by RodMerida »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2021, 06:23:45 am »
Stand strong Rod!  :woot!:

Darth Link X

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2021, 06:42:28 am »
Keep up the good work Rod and please don't let the naysayers get to you, they are a bunch of sad people with too much free time on their hands.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:18:32 am by Darth Link X »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 07, 2021, 03:27:37 pm »
delete

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 07, 2021, 06:42:04 pm »
Stand strong Rod!  :woot!:

I say the same, your work is nice and i'm waiting for more from you.  :thumbsup:
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 07, 2021, 08:10:47 pm »
Thank you.

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 07, 2021, 08:17:22 pm »
The pros and cons of this translation in my opinion:

Pros:
1. Bug-free.
2. Has the excellent graphics of the SNES version.

Cons:
1. The RPGONE script can be a bit inaccurate at times.
2. Japanese names only. So if you want English names, the buggy RPGONE version is the only way to go.
3. Of course, we can't say anything with this translation without mentioning the obnoxious, seizure-inducing cracktro.

July 07, 2021, 10:13:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Because of "Dragonlord" there is no definite version?
No, because each version just has its own pros and cons. :) :) :)

NES version:

Pros:
1. Still has a memorable script.
2. Is innovative for the time.
3. No unnecessary button presses to start the game.
Cons:
1. Is the hardest version of the game.
2. The graphics are absolutely lacking compared to even the GBC version.

GBC version:
Pros:
1. Is easier than the NES version.
2. Still had a good translation despite of the shortening.
Cons:
1. Graphics and sound are worse than the SNES version. Not a big deal, though.
2. No modern terminology.

Switch version:
Pros:
1. Good translation that's unaffected by memory limitations.
2. Great battle graphics due to being closer to the original art.
3. Still retain the charms of the originals.
Cons:
1. Overworld graphics are the same as the SNES version and not upscaled like the battle graphics. Again, not a big deal.
2. Can't think of any more.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:24:19 pm by lan-vuhoang »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2021, 03:33:42 am »
the "obnoxious, seizure-inducing cracktro" is not there anymore (unless you deliberately press SELECT), and is not "seizure-inducing" anymore anyway, It has changed. Have you updated the patch?

And I'm not closed to the idea of porting this patch to the RPGOne patch with Dragon Warrior localizations. But that requires work.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:07:39 pm by RodMerida »

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2021, 08:54:04 am »
Switch version:
Pros:
1. Good translation that's unaffected by memory limitations.
2. Great battle graphics due to being closer to the original art.
3. Still retain the charms of the originals.
Cons:
1. Overworld graphics are the same as the SNES version and not upscaled like the battle graphics. Again, not a big deal.
2. Can't think of any more.
The mismatched graphics and sprites are honestly probably my biggest complaints for the Switch version along with the localization, and are the main reasons I just can't play it. The graphics in particular are a weird mishmash of sprites at different pixel scales, character sprites looking Godzilla sized, high res UI fonts, and what looks like the DQ3 SNES battle backgrounds run through a smoothing filter and a couple of touchups with JPG enemy sprites just put on top. The Switch ports are genuinely really ugly looking, IMO.

Maidentree

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2021, 10:10:58 am »
The pros and cons of this translation in my opinion:

Cons:
3. Of course, we can't say anything with this translation without mentioning the obnoxious, seizure-inducing cracktro.

the "obnoxious, seizure-inducing cracktro" is not there anymore, and is not "seizure-inducing" anymore. Have you updated the patch?

And I'm not closed to the idea of porting this patch to the RPGOne patch with English localizations.

Granted, if the static intro screen was there from the very beginning; we probably wouldn't have this long-winded thread on how to remove the static intro screen.
GBC version:
Cons:
1. Graphics and sound are worse than the SNES version. Not a big deal, though.

I don't know about you but I really didn't mind the graphics of the GBC versions. I mean, when you have a smaller screen, and smaller color range, you gotta make do with what ya got and adapt to the smaller screen.

Glad to see that it's not a big deal, though.

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2021, 09:13:10 pm »
Just need to hope that the newly announced remake of DQ3 has the Sky World and Ice Cave.

Even if they're DLC, I'll still accept it. :) :) :) ;)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2021, 12:14:23 am »
Just need to hope that the newly announced remake of DQ3 has the Sky World and Ice Cave.

Even if they're DLC, I'll still accept it. :) :) :) ;)
If it comes to pc someone please remove any accents and extra puns kthxbye

Bobza

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 09, 2021, 11:51:31 pm »
A few more things I've noticed in DQ 1 on patch 1.052rtm:

After entering the hidden stairway on the first floor of the final castle, the bottom left door graphic is missing.  (I'm using Canoe.)

When using the Token of Roto, the phrase "A surge of courage rushed through ****s body!"  (Missing an apostrophe after the character's name.)

In the town of Radatome, the guard who stays by the tree who asks if you have proof... if you choose Yes and you don't actually, he says:
"Huh?!
You don't  have the symbol."  (Appears to have 2 spaces between don't and have.)

I'll continue to keep my eyes open for anything else.

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2021, 09:06:47 pm »
the "obnoxious, seizure-inducing cracktro" is not there anymore (unless you deliberately press SELECT), and is not "seizure-inducing" anymore anyway, It has changed. Have you updated the patch?

And I'm not closed to the idea of porting this patch to the RPGOne patch with Dragon Warrior localizations. But that requires work.
Yeah, and now it returns when I press Start. Given that some people mash Start to skip the intros, this could still be a problem nonetheless.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2021, 06:50:41 pm »
"A surge of courage rushed through ****s body!"  (Missing an apostrophe after the character's name.)
It seems German, or old Anglosaxon. ​Lol

Yeah, and now it returns when I press Start. Given that some people mash Start to skip the intros, this could still be a problem nonetheless.
If you press START during the static splash (or B or Y-Button, or Directional Pad) you stop it, to be able to appreciate it with no time rush (the Toriyama's art really worths it).
A, X, L or R at any moment skips it.

SELECT will let you see the spinning cracktro with a summary of what the patch fixes, that stops spinning automatically when it's straight (then press Cursor Pad to make it go on spinning, or push B, Y or START to skip it and start the game; it will again stop by itself after 3 turns).
Pressing SELECT at any moment during the cracktro will let you see the RPGOne splash screen, that can only be skipped by pressing START (or waiting some seconds).

You may manually freeze the spinning cracktro at any moment by pressing A (to play a little with it, to experiment with its effect, get a snapshot or just read it).
You may skip the cracktro while it's spinning or has been manually stopped, by pressing just B.

Doing all these control options that I'm explaining you has required much machine code programming, by the way. Such code is not very long in extension, because they're just some lines of hexadecimal codes (learnt by heart) manually written inside the ROM with many branches (equivalent to IF's, where you need to manually specify every time to what exact ROM position you're jumping if the result of a substraction either is or is not zero; if after that you insert new instructions that exact position will probably change and will need to be updated, or you will crash it), but it requires a while doing so so it works. I could change the function of START button so it made something else, increasing the amount of cycles spent per second for checking such single button state, loaded from a certain RAM position, and thus delaying the inputting process, making it not detect some random keystrokes from the player and to require him to hold, or to press the same button twice so it makes the expected effect, but, is it really necessary?

I mean, START and A-Button belong to different RAM positions. Do I really have to add an extra reading operation+branch with jump to a different relative ROM position (that requires repeating a bunch of extra instructions) just because people can't experiment and try pressing other buttons?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:21:06 am by RodMerida »