I had tried this, but all I ended up doing was corrupting the title screen. Part of the issue lies in the fact that the MM3 Improvement patch, and thus this "title screen patch", expands the ROM, and that complicates matters. I'm assuming a good portion of that additional data is for the intro sequence, but it definitely results in enough of a change to CHR to make it more of a headache than a quick and dirty patch in hex editor like I had hoped when I set out to do this before posting here.
I even cracked it open in YY-CHR to find the changed title screen graphics and change those values for a patch, but alas, something else must have been moved because it wasn't as simple as changing the pointers for arranging tiles on the title screen and changing the actual title screen graphics. That or I'm completely inept. I'm not even sure I can track down the pointers in the expanded ROM. What I did manage to do was change the palette to the correct one based on data crystal's title screen palette, change the MEGA MAN tiles to their proper Japanese style ones, but apparently the roman numeral III is somewhere else in the improvement patch as it still shows up, and of course the tiles for the changed screen are still in the old order because I can't find the pointers.