News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2418483 times)

Kazooie64

• View Profile
Re: Hack idea Banjo-Kazooie Quality of life upgrades/redux
« Reply #7320 on: February 25, 2021, 12:52:17 am »
I have suggestion for a Banjo-Kazooie redux that I'd love to see, similar to what has been done with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I think these improvements bring the game up to date and offer some improvements seen in the Xbox port, but also other improvements and bugfixes that I think are well deserved, all while keeping the core game mechanics exactly how they're suppose to be.

Basically these improvements and fixes are what I believe could have been official improvements and fixes had they released a version 1.2 as later re-release towards the end of the N64 life cycle.

I've put quite a bit of infomation into this suggestion and I'd love to hear back from anyone capable of making this a reality for me. A reply or direct PM would be great if there's anyone who could do it.

Here's the list of improvements I'd want to have:

#1a) Utilisation of a different save type to allow Musical notes and Jinjos to be permanently saved when exiting a level, dying or saving & quitting (to behave just like the Xbox port).

#1b) As an alternative to #1a, only make the player lose all their notes and hold the high score if the player has a game over instead of just dying once or leaves the world themself. The console will still be on so the musical note data will still be stored in RAM. This will give the extra lives some actual value and should still be able to keep the save type as it is. Assuming the flags for each individual musical note is or can be stored in ram.

#2) Add a bubble to the pause menu titled "OPTIONS" with Bottles' face sprite (as used in the Xbox version) to include on/off toggles for inverted X axis camera rotation, Swimming Y axis, first person view Y axis, also a toggle for changing the camera rotation from button presses to holding C left and right for smooth 360 degree rotation (with a separate rotation speed slider), a screen alignment option (pull assests from Tooie), a screen scale option (pull assets from Tooie) and finally, a widescreen option like Tooie*. 4 option bubbles can easily fit on the pause menu screen as there is a beta feature which also gave you a 4th option to "Exit to witch's lair" when you pause in a world. This feature can be enabled with a gameshark code, so the official spacing and size of the option bubbles when 4 options are available can probably be derived from that. *Widescreen option should only be included if the expansion pak can be utilised, ensuring the game still runs smoothly without any additional slowdown. The 6 options available in the "OPTIONS" menu should be displayed in 3 rows, split into 2 columns.

#3) Automatic unlocking of the Stop N Swop item locations after 100% completion, after end credits.

#4) Add a mumbo token, jinjo and bottles moves total in the view totals menu for each level as well as the lair. The mumbo bubble with the mumbo token sprite, the jinjo total with a green jinjo sprite (green is used for Tooie) and the move total with Bottles' sprite.
The addition of the 3 extra total counters will mean there will be a total of 7 bubbles on most level screens (notes, jiggys, hollow honeycombs, mumbo tokens, jinjos, bottles' moves and finally the level timer). Because of this, the bubbles will have to be resized in the following way... there will remain to be 4 rows but the totals will be split into 2 columns. The notes, jiggys, hollow honeycombs, mumbo tokens, jinjos and bottle's moves will take up the top 3 rows, split into 2 columns (the new additions in the right hand column) and the level timer will be centred on the 4th row, as it appears originally.

#5) The ability to be able to replay the final boss fight, even after the credits and the game save has grunty stuck under the rock.

#6) Possibility of utilising the expansion pak to increase draw distances and reduce slowdown.

Bugfixes:

#1) Fixing the mumbo token flag bugs (the 2 in Mad Monster Mansion that use the same flag, where you have to spawn both of them before you collect them or one will be permanently missable and the two in Click Clock Wood, where if you collect one and die, the other will also be permanently missable)

#2) A fix for the permanently missable mumbo token in Gobi's Valley in the flooded pyramid. If you don't pick up the token before draining it (by collecting the jiggy), you can never reach it again. I'd suggest fixing this by automatically setting it to its flooded state and the moat being empty when re-entering the level until both the mumbo token and jiggy have been collected. After this the pyramid will permanently remain drained as normal.

#3) Change the wrong colour on the walking N64 logo at startup. See here: https://youtu.be/x1HIvYi_A9Y

Everything else to remain original  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:43:33 pm by Kazooie64 »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7321 on: February 25, 2021, 11:58:11 am »
I. Sabre's character model is still in the ROM, so it's easy to replace it.

II. What parts of the stage were censored?

1.Cool, that's good to hear that it will be easy to restore his model.

2.They removed the rising sun that appears on the mural completely, it looks pretty bad now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:08:11 pm by SCD »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Hack idea Banjo-Kazooie Quality of life upgrades/redux
« Reply #7322 on: February 25, 2021, 04:48:04 pm »
I have suggestion for a Banjo-Kazooie redux that I'd love to see, similar to what has been done with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I think these improvements bring the game up to date and offer some improvements seen in the Xbox port, but also other improvements and bugfixes that I think are well deserved, all while keeping the core game mechanics exactly how they're suppose to be.

Agreed with your suggestions and would also like to see the collection requirements lowered by about 10-15%.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

neo_ness

• View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: February 26, 2021, 11:32:46 pm »
I have a idea that might be relatively easy?  Mega Man Xtreme 2 takes away a option from the first game that makes emulating it much easier.  In Mega Man Xtreme 1 you can change the "select" button's function to "dash".  But in Mega Man Xtreme 2, you cannot change it to Dash, only other features.  Would there be a way to change it to a Dash feature?

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: February 27, 2021, 09:35:27 am »
Simple and easy hack for Tetris MD, replace horrible original backgrounds of landscapes and iguanas ...

for backgrounds with MD Sega motifs or early MD titles from the MD / Genesis system.

example link = http://themes.arcade-tv.de/

Has Customizable Themes MD backgrounds for Tetris MegaDrive / Genesis like in ED-Pro.

Dario-

• View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: February 28, 2021, 12:14:42 pm »
I would have an idea or two to simplify the work of many SMB3 hackers, in the meantime you could certainly put in the map editor menu an option to enlarge the window by x2, x4, x6 times in order to provide a good map view, but yes could include in the software editor map a fiction that takes into account the size of any internal world of SMB3 so even if its Hex code were modified in these parts and you could also choose, through selection tips in a window, if the parts are divided like world 8 or 5 and or if they are bleak as in the third part of world 8, you could create a set for the size of a world you are in (find according to the chosen world in the map editor menu)
and precisely meaning how many map screens can be displayed linked or divided for that world, you could have a window with miscellaneous settings to set the colors by choosing the desired palette, both of objects and sprites, even having the possibility therefore to change the colors of the world 9, why should I do this with other programs like FCEUX if I am working with a map editor? The miscellaneous settings could include specific things about the map, such as a quick change to the map sprites via a dedicated window, such as skulls, fire, bushes, just to change the face of the map quickly and easily, to make it so a really good map editor, apart from all the Mario colors could take into account they are set
in the Hex code for little Mario when, for example, you move the starting point in a world in the map editor or in the Viwer function. Also in the miscellaneous part you could change the colors of the external bottom bar of the layers, even if it is not seen in the map editor, having the opportunity to change the external and internal color and the color of when it turns or changes group objects. You could also add a setting in another part of the menu to establish the three starting points of mario in world 9 if you are editing world 9 (Warp Zone) and where they must be in the map, thus being able to change the three points via buttons page up and page down, then also, with another dedicated function, also the visible numbers that label the tubes that will lead to the worlds, and if possible, adding a dedicated set in the miscellaneous options window, to be able to remove them permanently, this also seems to me a setting that should be there.

Certainly, however, a small new software could also be created for a special modification, to easily change the final scene, its colors such as curtain colors, and the whole final environment, for example instead of making the various maps appear in small format in the scrolling of the final scene, you could give the option to write custom credits to write special thanks or Mario's ending story with the princess. Finally in the software options choose as game setting, which objects to give at the end of the SMB3 game for a new game after finishing one, change the P-wing (original set) with another object or include the choice of colors in sequence. Door ring leads to Princess in Browser Castle.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: February 28, 2021, 07:52:10 pm »
I have a few patch ideas.

-In Super Princess Peach have B button jump and Y button attack.

-In Megaman Battle Network 4 have players keep the C-slider, P-codes in the second and third play through.

-In Sparkster for SNES allow players to be able to play all stages in all the difficulties but balance out those levels according to each difficulty of course.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: March 02, 2021, 12:45:46 pm »
I. Sabre's character model is still in the ROM, so it's easy to replace it.

II. What parts of the stage were censored?

The sun in E. Honda's stage was censored out in newer versions, reportedly because other Asian countries find it an offensive political symbol.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: March 03, 2021, 11:54:51 am »
The sun in E. Honda's stage was censored out in newer versions, reportedly because other Asian countries find it an offensive political symbol.

Specifically South Korea, to my understanding. That particular “rising sun” icon resembles the one seen on the Imperial Japanese flag, and while Japan and South Korea have done a lot to patch things up in recent years, Koreans still see no need to glorify an empire that singled them out as a major target of war crimes back in World War 2 (especially since the Japanese government’s current stance on them is to not acknowledge them). It would be like if Guile’s stage had a giant Confederate flag instead of a jet.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: March 03, 2021, 11:49:22 pm »
Another simple game hack for your holy hacking skills. NES bootleg Box World and Porter. Change the title screen to Mario's (or i prefer Wario's box world) and main character sprites to mario or wario. Same for porter. Or any good character you like from NES sprites ect. I think it would be a nice treat.  Your Welcome. 🤯

VeganDoritos

• View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: March 04, 2021, 01:18:52 am »
Fixes for some of the sound effects in Genesis version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors would be nice. Similar to the work Boyfinn did with Battle Mania Daiginjou (replacing instruments with more rounded ones) or Linkuei's work with Prince of Persia 2. An example would be the distorted-sounding explosion effect.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: March 04, 2021, 09:13:45 am »
Not sure if this is the correct place for such an ask, but I installed PowerShell on my Mac to experiment with Patcher64 and the Zelda Redux options. Got an error about being unable to locate dll files, which I guess makes sense because not-Windows.

So, with that said, these are some patch variants I had wanted to put together:

• Aroenai's fixed/decensored Master Quest, but with censorship still intact (that's just Fire Temple's revised music, Ganondorf's green blood, and the new Gerudo symbol - I believe). I view this release as revisionist anyhow.
  • Master Quest with double damage like on the 3DS
  • Hero Mode (double damage, no hearts) variants for OoT, MQ, and MM.
  • A version of the Hero Mode patch described above, but based on A Link Between Worlds. So, four times the damage but with hearts retained.
  • from the REDUX patches, I like the 3DS Quality-of-Life additions (D-Pad, Stone of Agony, etc.) but otherwise prefer a more vanilla experience (or at least Aroenai's fixed/decensored GCN->N64 versions). So I was hoping I could split those out with Patcher64.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:37:13 am by TRIFORCE89 »

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: March 04, 2021, 09:39:50 am »
To Celebrate 25 years of Pokemon we need a Pokemon Sun&Moon NDS hack(Black&White 2 NDS rom)

highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: March 06, 2021, 01:42:32 pm »
i don't find here...
a translation to change back the names on any version of street fighter (gouki, vega the last boss, balrog the spanish).

i searched in snes and ps1 roms.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: March 06, 2021, 04:18:25 pm »
  • Aroenai's fixed/decensored Master Quest, but with censorship still intact (that's just Fire Temple's revised music, Ganondorf's green blood, and the new Gerudo symbol - I believe). I view this release as revisionist anyhow.
[/li]
[/list]
In the same spirit, I'd like the same thing applied to Pokémon Red, Green, and Blue Versions - 100% English (Standard Edition) (E.G. the old man in Viridian City wanting coffee instead of being drunk).

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #7335 on: March 08, 2021, 03:42:45 am »
I know this isn't much of a hack idea so much as it is a crack of some sort, if i'm using the right terminology here, and I know gamecube modding isn't quite the bustling scene at the moment, so this is a shot in the dark, but enabling pokemon box - Ruby and Sapphire, to be able to play pokemon emerald, fire red, and leaf green on it's built in emulator.

Being able to play pokemon GB games on the TV screen was one of the best feautres of pokemon stadium, and currently, pokemon box is the only way to play legitimate copies of GBA pokemon games on the TV using a softmodded wii. But it's only ruby and sapphire at the moment.

Not sure how similar the situation is but it seems like people have tricked pokemon stadium into playing non pokemon games in the gameboy tower.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: March 08, 2021, 12:33:20 pm »
I know this isn't much of a hack idea so much as it is a crack of some sort, if i'm using the right terminology here, and I know gamecube modding isn't quite the bustling scene at the moment, so this is a shot in the dark, but enabling pokemon box - Ruby and Sapphire, to be able to play pokemon emerald, fire red, and leaf green on it's built in emulator.

Being able to play pokemon GB games on the TV screen was one of the best feautres of pokemon stadium, and currently, pokemon box is the only way to play legitimate copies of GBA pokemon games on the TV using a softmodded wii. But it's only ruby and sapphire at the moment.

Not sure how similar the situation is but it seems like people have tricked pokemon stadium into playing non pokemon games in the gameboy tower.

I wouldn't mind having this type of rom hack. I mean it'd be the only way to get all the Pokemon necessary from GBA all the way up to Switch anyhow since there's no way to have the Pokemon from the first & second gen tranfer from there to the GBA games.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7337 on: March 11, 2021, 06:41:56 pm »
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, decrease the EXP requirement for Level Ups by 20% to make it closer to the Japanese release
Bottom Text

WebSlinger

• View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: March 11, 2021, 06:52:26 pm »
Anyone like ta do a HOLD box for Tetris & Dr.Mario on SNES? I saw a couple hacks on there, saving score and no punishment on combos, but yeah yeah I know, need AMS stuff  blah blah...   Would kick major ass if that function was available for this game... HOLD blocks in tetris AND Dr.mario :D

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: March 12, 2021, 04:03:09 am »
We need more Sega Saturn games fan translated such as Blue Breaker,Sakura Taisen 2, Bulk Slash,Goove on Fight,Lunar Eternal Blue