News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2160024 times)

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7020 on: October 21, 2020, 12:29:46 pm »
Mega Man except it's Arthur in Wily's world.

Ninja 4 Hire

• View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: October 21, 2020, 04:54:45 pm »
Concerning The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past...

I think it would be neat if someone would change the sprite of Agahnim so instead of green robes, he would wear red ones like he is generally depicted in artwork for the game.

Thanks for listening!  :)

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: October 21, 2020, 07:39:00 pm »
Speaking of Zelda...it's gonna be kind of weird to hear, but listen up: I did want to see someone do a hack of the Zelda games with the CDI Zelda inspired plot, except not only make sense, but also have better execution. I mean a playable Zelda is one of the good ideas they had. Just the execution to the CDI was just...awful. I'd really would like the CDI games to be more of the NES games or Link to the Past if someone can do so.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: October 22, 2020, 06:55:08 am »
Mega Man except it's Arthur in Wily's world.

That's a neat idea!
I think the crux would be to change the base game to have weapon drops and secret chests.
I'd base it on a Megaman game with two castles so that you can do the whole you have to return with the right weapon gimmick in a more tolerable way.

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: October 22, 2020, 01:29:06 pm »
Gegege no Kitarou: Gyakushuu! Youma Daikessen on PS1/PSX is one of the most beautiful 2D games ever made.

It is an adaptation from Shigeru Mizuki's famous manga.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the very last game released on PSX, so it got next to no press and stayed in Japan.
Even today, it is pretty much unknown.

There is a Saturn version, bu I couldn't find an iso/bin that would work in retroarch, so I couldn't compare.

It is beautiful, has a unique macabre atmosphere, huge bosses, great voice actors doing all the dialogues, impressive music both traditional Japanese while very bold, and run 'n' gun platformer style, think a bit of megaman and Contra.
And yes, Kitaro has two different sets of sprites when facing left and right.

Sadly, some aspects of the gameplay make it a pain to play.

If these were to be addressed, this could be an excellent and very original platformer.

Namely the problems and some solutions may be :

- Kitaro's projectiles are way too weak, enemies come continuously and you can hardly kill them all before they come to contact, even though you keep mashing the button.
> buff the strenght of Kitaro's projectiles and add an autofire.

- Kitaro has two main types of attacks mapped on the same button : 1) shooting his hair, 2) shooting a sandal. If you keep the button pressed he moves freely and stops shooting hair to charge the sandal attack, megaman style.
The sandal attack is a homing attack that goes after every enemy and most projectiles on screen, but Kitaro can't move anymore while waiting for his sandal to come back. This is a real pain.
> change the button mapping and add an autofire to the hair attack
> Let Kitaro move while the sandal is away and map the sandal charge to a shoulder button

- Kitaro's jump is terrible. If you jump forward and let go of the controller he keeps gliding down forward. There are some cool platforming moments that are a bit tedious because of this and because you get through some platforms since the jumps are so tight.
> fix his jump controls, and maybe increase it a bit. Also, a solution could be to add a double jump to Kitaro, using his crouching animation as a link, like Oro is Street Fighter III 3rd Strike :
https://youtu.be/YOpH54eMg8c?t=220.

- Kitaro has a repelling move but the animation is too slow, so it is a bit hard to time, thus making it useless.
> make this animation faster

- Kitaro has a few other special attacks that all depend on the sandal charge, it's very tedious and keeps you from fighting if you want to use it.
> remap these attacks (they both use some shoulder button)

- there is an overworld to select your stage like in Super Mario world.
Once you've beaten a stage, you have to beat it again to go through, and the revisits don't add anything.

- after a while Kitaro can choose some yokai friends with special abilities and summon them in game.
Sounds cool but they are not that useful.
> no idea what to do there...

- Kitaro's mobility could be improved reusing his falling down animations to let him slide under projectiles, megaman style.

- you can shoot in many different directions, but Kitaro can't shoot in diagonals without moving.
> again some different button mapping could allow him to stay in the same spot to aim.

I think that's about it.

Also, the game could be translated :)
Hope somebody takes interest in this game as it is worth testing.

Improvements could go further and make it a great game if levels were to be edited/extended to take advantage of an increased mobility.

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #7025 on: October 23, 2020, 05:30:52 am »
That's a neat idea!
I think the crux would be to change the base game to have weapon drops and secret chests.
I'd base it on a Megaman game with two castles so that you can do the whole you have to return with the right weapon gimmick in a more tolerable way.

It sounds nice. I could handle the sprite work and level design; unfortunately, I have no idea how I'd go about the coding.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 23, 2020, 10:43:16 pm »
A lot can be done with hex editing, but the best thing would be to have a documented disassembly of the base game. I'm not sure if there are any for the latter games.

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #7027 on: October 24, 2020, 08:56:33 am »
A lot can be done with hex editing, but the best thing would be to have a documented disassembly of the base game. I'm not sure if there are any for the latter games.

TBH, even with commented disassembly, I often hit walls. Just the other day I was trying to modify the original NES Megaman using the disassembly document and Rock'n'Roll, and there were still things I couldn't do and/or understand...

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: October 24, 2020, 11:35:08 am »
Concerning The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past...

I think it would be neat if someone would change the sprite of Agahnim so instead of green robes, he would wear red ones like he is generally depicted in artwork for the game.

Thanks for listening!  :)
A Link to the Past Redux already does just that ;)

artsypencil

• View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 24, 2020, 07:04:39 pm »
Japanese to English translation for Medabots Girls Mission (3DS) because the gameplay looks great and it looks hot.

Uncensor patch for Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus (DS) because it's the most recent yugioh game where you can move around and explore, it's the best era of Ygo Imo, and because censorship sucks.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 24, 2020, 07:59:51 pm »
I'm a fan of Rock, Blues, Forte and everything "purist," but only when referring to the characters as their given names. Megaman is Rock's fighting persona, not his given name. Not a fan of "Mega". It sounds stupid and is a bad localization.

So when Dr. Light talks to Megaman he should call him "Rock", When Dr. Cossack first meets Megaman, he should call him "Megaman". That sort of thing would make things groove better.

The intro of MM4 was on the Right(pun) track, and then they gone three steps back in later games. I kinda liked when Romhacks unified criteria from later games to early ones (ditching "Mega Man X" to simply "X"). A proper balance between original and localized terms.

(I read the Captain Commando manga, UDON official edition, and I was pleased that Baby Head's real name was Dr. Hoover, as a nod. If only Jennety was the Alien name but the rest call him Mack, and Sho was the Ninja's Real Name but uses Ginzu as his incognito alias.)

Anyway, I just wanted to make Japanese styled-logos por the hacked versions, so I can differentiate from their originals (I literally YEET'd the horrid Megaman Zero 3 & 4 EUR logos for the USA ones). Yes, that's it: The better logos.

baumkuchen84

• View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 25, 2020, 06:51:22 am »
I would love to create a Secret of Evermore hack according to a video game theory I created to that game...

In short it's about the following:
Square changed Secret of Evermore in the last weeks of development because it was too child unfriendly and among other things contained the hero killing humans. The evil humans the hero killed were the four Podunkers who conquered the world Evermore. So that they don't have to change too much stuff they came up with the idea to just change dialogue and insert evil twins into the game. They kept the scenes which showed the podunkers are evil and said its the evil robots.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTW7BJNq_sw)

My hack would be to "revert" these changes and with hardly any work create a completely different game.

Unfortunately I dunno where I'd even start... Is there a guide on how to hack SNES games? How hard is it to change complete scenes? Are there tools to easily change dialogue? For most of the part I'd only have to change minor dialogue and some make graphics invisible and skip some events. If that could be done easily the hack could be done in a week... :(

For example in the whole Prehistoria arc only a graphic of Fireeyes and Strongheart would need to be removed and some dialogue lines needed to be changed.
In Antiqua only one grahpic of Hector needed to be changed and some dialogue lines.
In Gothica only one event needs to be skipped and some dialogue lines need to be changed.
Omnitopia would need the most changes but again only some graphics, some dialogue and so on.
This hack would make the game totally different with hardly any changes :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: October 25, 2020, 08:04:59 am »
I can dig that. I'd certainly appreciate such hacks.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 25, 2020, 10:54:08 am »
@baumkuchen84

Very very cool idea but that would be way more work than you think. Also I love such videos, they're so pointlessly fun  ;D

KurisuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: October 25, 2020, 03:02:14 pm »
The 2 Naruto Games on GBA are great, but have some horrible Atari-like music. It would be cool if it they got hacked with either better music from the naruto series or no music whatsoever, and just sfx.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7035 on: October 25, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »
Not sure if it's been said before, but injecting the Tom Slattery script from the Nintendo DS port of Chrono Trigger into the SNES version would be amazing, as it reads so well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:09:21 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

elkkrumbs

• View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: October 26, 2020, 12:42:09 am »
A hack for the GBA game "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" so it automatically boots into Dr. Mario, and if possible to prevent it from going back to the menu that allows you to choose which game to play. To put it simply, to turn "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" into just "Dr. Mario" for the GBA.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: October 26, 2020, 04:21:40 am »
 To celebrate 30 years of the game PSIII is overdue for a great lengthy hack
1.2-1.6 mb total(16 Mega Power)Longer storylines,characters redone,improved dialog,ect

Titney

• View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: October 26, 2020, 05:03:29 am »
Hack for Mr Driller on Gameboy Color where instead of losing 1% air every second, you lose 1% air every time you break a block, to make it similar to the slower more puzzle less action gameplay in later Mr Driller games.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: October 26, 2020, 10:08:53 am »
A hack for the GBA game "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" so it automatically boots into Dr. Mario, and if possible to prevent it from going back to the menu that allows you to choose which game to play. To put it simply, to turn "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" into just "Dr. Mario" for the GBA.

An auto-boot ROM for Puzzle League would be great, too
free sluffy