News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2166339 times)

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7000 on: October 15, 2020, 12:15:04 pm »
Super Metroid but it's a police procedural set in Kowloon Walled City.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: October 15, 2020, 03:35:19 pm »
Idea for QoL hack of Blood of Bahamut:
1. Increase enemies' drop rate.
2. If possible, addto the above a possibility of dropping Gold, so we don't need to sell material.
3. Reduce Lottery price (100 G can stay, but the next ones could go 200 G, 300 G, 400 G, and so on.
4. Change how attacking and skills works ENTIRELY:
4.1. Dpad moves, of course, but ABXY is instead used for something else: B uses normal melee attack (so you can better deal with common enemies), Y uses Ability 1, X uses Ability 2, A uses Ability 3.
4.2. L and R are used to dodge as usual, but there could be an invulnerability frame while dashing so you can't get cheap shotted.
4.3. Touch is EXCLUSIVELY used to attack the Behemoth instead.
4.4. Make Pause actually work when playing Solo. (sure, we can use System Sleep, but still)

rurouni30

• View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: October 15, 2020, 08:05:27 pm »

Improvement: [ MEGAMAN / ROCKMAN - Japanese Style (Title plus Subtitle) ] | Always in English Dialogues text | Particularly I would like everything written this way: Rockman (Rock), Blues (Proto Man), Dr. Light (not 'Right'), Roll, Auto and Dr. Wily.

Detail: Most of these ideas are unique to the login screen aesthetics (which enhance the sprites to japanese style experience). As it is a game with few dialogues, I do not consider this post to fall into the translation category, although in some layout changes small adjustments are necessary. The main idea is to use all the modifications that already exist in Japanese roms and that have already been translated to English to facilitate the work of little editing.

Create an option for each improvement style of game (Japanese in English, or Americanized from Japanese as the following examples) IF it doesn't exist:

1 - DONE! (ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN)
by @User:SCD

2 - Need Improvement* ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:Aeon Genesis

Suggestions:
Using the original 'Rockman 2 - Dr. Wily no Nazo (J) [!].nes' rom put a option:

MEGAMAN
Dr. Wily's Riddle

Note¹ (ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN): Put a option to change the title from 'ROCKMAN' to 'MEGAMAN' on title and dialogues texts for the American version players.

Note² (BOTH): Particularly I prefer "Riddle" in the subtitle than "The Mystery of Dr. Wily". I find it more simplistic, but you need to change (increase a little bit) the spacing between 'Dr.' ; 'Wily's' ; 'Riddle'

Note³ (BOTH): Just put ©CAPCOM 1988 like original intro if possible.

3 - Need Update* and few changes ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:FlashPV

Suggestions:
Note¹ (BOTH): Put the version 2.22 (2019) from @User:kuja killer (due to some significant version changes) with Japanese Style Title Screen from FlashPV

Note² (BOTH): Put ©1990 CAPCOM

Note³ (BOTH): On bosses screen change 'PUSH' to 'PRESS'

Note4 (MEGAMAN to ROCKMAN): Redeem the title design for 'ROCKMAN' but keeping everything else in English and changing the names to Japanese

4 - Need be created in Both versions of style ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:Voxar

Suggestion:
Put the original 'Rockman 4 - Aratanaru Yabou!! (J) [!].nes' or 'Mega Man 4 (U).nes' to (japanese style plus english text game dialog, title and subtitle):

ROCKMAN
A New Evil Ambition!!

©CAPCOM 1991

or

MEGAMAN
A New Evil Ambition!!

©CAPCOM 1991

5 - Need change option, ('ROCKMAN'[/b])
but (done on american style)* by @User:FlashPV

Suggestion:
Redeem the title design for 'ROCKMAN' but keeping everything else in English and changing the names to Japanese.

6 - Need changes* ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:Her-Saki

Suggestions:
Note¹ (ROCKMAN): In the subtitle go back to standard white fonts or improve sharpness if possible, maybe??

Note² (ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN): Change 'ROCKMAN' to 'MEGAMAN' on title and dialogues name texts for the American version. (Dr. Light , Mega, ...)

Note³ (maybe??): Change subtitle to: The Greatest Battle Ever!!

7 - Need few changes* ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example¹: by @User:Zynk Oxhyde
Example² (Improvement - Restoration): by @User:SCD

Suggestions:
Using the original Rockman 7 - Shukumei no Taiketsu! (J).smc rom put:

Note¹ (ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN): Put the english title 'MEGAMAN' from 'ROCKMAN'

Note² (BOTH): Translate the subtitle to ( Showdown of Destiny! )

Note³ (BOTH): Keep the translation of @User:Zynk Oxhyde because it characterizes and very much the kind personality of Rock, of his sister Roll. After playing both versions it is notable that in the American (even with the restoration adjustments) it makes 'Rock' (Mega Man) more coarse, rude and determined to kill Wily in the future of the game ... even though this is a huge mistake for the fans.

8 - Need a little change and some details*
Example: by @User:acediez

Suggestions:
Note¹: Only put the english subtitle ( Metal Heroes ) on undub version USA.

Note²: Edit some names to japanese:
Megaman to Rockman, Bass to Forte, Treble to Gospel and Proto Man to Blues. The rest staying the same.

Note³: Leave the title text in Japanese ('ROCKMAN'), but with the subtitle in English

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: October 15, 2020, 08:10:24 pm »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: October 16, 2020, 02:20:51 pm »
Improvement: [ MEGAMAN / ROCKMAN - Japanese Style (Title plus Subtitle) ] | Always in English Dialogues text | Particularly I would like everything written this way: Rockman (Rock), Blues (Proto Man), Dr. Light (not 'Right'), Roll, Auto and Dr. Wily.

Detail: Most of these ideas are unique to the login screen aesthetics (which enhance the sprites to japanese style experience). As it is a game with few dialogues, I do not consider this post to fall into the translation category, although in some layout changes small adjustments are necessary. The main idea is to use all the modifications that already exist in Japanese roms and that have already been translated to English to facilitate the work of little editing.

Create an option for each improvement style of game (Japanese in English, or Americanized from Japanese as the following examples) IF it doesn't exist:

1 - DONE! (ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN)
by @User:SCD
2 - Need Improvement* ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:Aeon Genesis

Suggestions:
3 - Need Update* and few changes ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:FlashPV

Suggestions:
4 - Need be created in Both versions of style ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:Voxar

Suggestion:
5 - Need change option, ('ROCKMAN'[/b])
but (done on american style)* by @User:FlashPV

Suggestion:
6 - Need changes* ('ROCKMAN' and 'ROCKMAN to MEGAMAN')
Example: by @User:Her-Saki

Suggestions:

Suggestions:
8 - Need a little change and some details*
Example: by @User:acediez

Suggestions:

I have a better idea: Change logos to Japanese Style, leave everything else localized.
Not a fan of Rock, Blues, Forte and anything "purist", to be honest. That's where Megaman: The Wily Wars succeeded.

Captain Commando/Knights of the Round/Final Fight 2/Final Fight 3(TOUGH)/King of the Dragons [SNES] (All regions):

Being able to start a single player game from P2 side.

Nepeta

• View Profile
« Reply #7005 on: October 16, 2020, 05:33:38 pm »
i know it's kinda hard, but i feel like the romhacks on the 2 zelda ds games are kinda lacking, we only have the D-Pad hacks on each games, i barely find any documentation on the games online, which makes it really hard to do anything on it without doing all the work myself

aside from that, i kinda think a randomizer on PH would be amazing, on ST idk, maybe too linear, anyways yeah both game deserves it imo

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #7006 on: October 16, 2020, 06:00:13 pm »
Fascinating.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.atlasobscura.com/articles/kowloon-walled-city.amp

I know. I've been somewhat obsessed with the scope of such a city ever since I've discovered it. Even more so after watching this cross section of it; an SM hack was the first thing that came to mind, but it's not feasible on account of it needing hundreds of NPCs.

Also, Yoshi's Safari but it's a Megaman or Metroid: Other M rail shooter.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: October 16, 2020, 07:25:48 pm »
It could make a really awesome indie game.

Or, you could maybe make it as a hack of Sweet Home. And you're basically traversing the walled city.

luna211

• View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: October 16, 2020, 11:22:44 pm »
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a classic, and one of my very favorites to play around the Halloween season. I would love to see a hack that allows you to strafe or hold your firing position while moving. That'd help a LOT battling against the giant baby and other boss characters!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: October 17, 2020, 08:48:24 am »
Suggestions:

I'm actually going to try changing the logo in my restoration hack to look like the one from the Japanese version, Metalwario64 made me the graphics, I'm just waiting for DarkSamus993 to help me on inserting them.

FuxorLuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: October 17, 2020, 11:32:57 am »
Hey, "Galerians" on PlayStation 1 is a Great game but everyone who played this game can tell you that the Knock Knock puzzle is the worst part of This game
So I am requesting a hack that will Let the player enter to 204 Room no Matter how he Knocked the door

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mbRsNKDx5mE&t=9s

Thanks in advance

rurouni30

• View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: October 17, 2020, 04:45:49 pm »
I'm actually going to try changing the logo in my restoration hack to look like the one from the Japanese version, Metalwario64 made me the graphics, I'm just waiting for DarkSamus993 to help me on inserting them.

Thank you very much SCD for the support. Your job is really good. I will be waiting anxiously.

All I can and am doing is separating the textual scripts closest to the original in a way that characterizes 'Rock' / 'Rockman X', but keeping some terms in English - perhaps it will help in the future.

Nightshift Nurse

• View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: October 18, 2020, 03:59:27 am »
Welp, since Rotwang's doing nothing with his Final Fight SNES hack - and Grego won't do anything with his even though it was progressing much faster than Rotwang's work - I'm gonna say...well...that. Final Fight on SNES with all three characters selectable, two-player support, and, ideally, stage four.

Also, an English translation of Cosmic Fantasy 3. (Seriously, the PC Engine is a goldmine of JRPG and sleeper goodness. Why is nobody working on it?)

Oh, and title screen hacks for Ganbare Goemon 2 and 3 that say Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2 and 3 respectively. Ditto Streets of Rage 3 for the English translation of Bare Knuckle 3. (And Final Fantasy II and III for the myriad hacks and re-re-re-translations that exist for Final Fantasy IV and VI.)

A Final Fight 2 de-censoring similar to the restoration hacks of the first and third games would be great.

And if somebody wanted to clean up Art of Fighting on the SNES (remove the censoring, maybe add a floor to Mac's Bar, clean up the woman standing the backgorund of the same stage so there's an actual coat tied around her waist rather than a mess of random tiles), I wouldn't complain.

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: October 18, 2020, 03:18:49 pm »
Hi guys. I found out today about Trials of Mana, the official English localization of the game on the SNES. While the localization is good, sadly, it is somehow slower than the original game and the fan translations (during room transitions, dialogues, menus...). It would be nice if a hack could fix this, but I don't know if that is doable without remaking the localization from scratch.

Goemon

• View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: October 18, 2020, 06:26:47 pm »
Has anybody ever tried to make a decensor patch for Sunset Riders SNES based upon the Arcade version?
It is a great game and desweves some uncut work :)

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:26 pm »
Hi guys. I found out today about Trials of Mana, the official English localization of the game on the SNES. While the localization is good, sadly, it is somehow slower than the original game and the fan translations (during room transitions, dialogues, menus...). It would be nice if a hack could fix this, but I don't know if that is doable without remaking the localization from scratch.

Yeah. I was noticing this too. Those menus are so slooooooow. Also Reisz is the only one it seems that has a text glitch when you change weapons. Charlotte and Angela don't have the glitch. Even if I don't swap a weapon the box tries to eat the weapon name.

I think the Localization dialogue could maybe be copied down and then use the font / character set from the Weapon / Spell Description screen as the main font, as it is somewhat similar to the Official English Localization font.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: October 19, 2020, 11:38:15 am »
Looking at the Mr. Nutz games, I got this weird idea. How about this game being hacked to making it be a Conker's Bad Fur Day type of game? I mean sure there'd be sprite editing, dialogue changes, and such, but I think having a 2D Conker platform could work (unless someone already did that).

LucasRCD

• Avatar by @ImmatureWaffles on Twitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: October 19, 2020, 01:27:48 pm »
I've been a bit obsessed with Lufia: The Ruins of Lore as of recently, and I've had an idea for a major improvement hack. These would be among the changes that would be implemented, from most important to least important:

-Increase in battle animation speed, cutting down on needless windup between moves and turns. Battles take waaaaay longer than they should;
-Save points and recovery spots in the middle of dungeons like in past games (would require a bit of graphic editing and other things probably);
-Visible Job Points to make leveling up jobs and learning skills less of a crapshoot (this would also extend to Disc Monsters, since they use the same method for learning abilities);
-Making it so counter attacks and spells from items don't completely override the action you've queued up for your character if they end up getting hit;
-Fixing the collision in that one screen in Mera Volcano, where you can go out of bounds and somehow not get softlocked due to misplaced screen exits;
-Buffed up enemies, since aside from bosses, the enemies have pathetic stats once you're leveled up properly. The fact the final boss just has 8000 HP while the ones in previous games had 20K+ kinda speaks on how toned down the difficulty is in comparison (this last one would be optional).

Just things that would make the game much more fun and enjoyable to play for others, including myself.
Lufia afficionado, forum game player. Former SMW hacker.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: October 20, 2020, 08:33:37 pm »
I have a better idea: Change logos to Japanese Style, leave everything else localized.
Not a fan of Rock, Blues, Forte and anything "purist", to be honest. That's where Megaman: The Wily Wars succeeded.

I have a betterer idea: Change logos to Japanese Style, use localized and un-localized names and terms selectively.

I'm a fan of Rock, Blues, Forte and everything "purist," but only when referring to the characters as their given names. Megaman is Rock's fighting persona, not his given name. Not a fan of "Mega". It sounds stupid and is a bad localization.

So when Dr. Light talks to Megaman he should call him "Rock", When Dr. Cossack first meets Megaman, he should call him "Megaman". That sort of thing would make things groove better.

rurouni30

• View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: October 20, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »
I have a betterer idea: Change logos to Japanese Style, use localized and un-localized names and terms selectively.

I'm a fan of Rock, Blues, Forte and everything "purist," but only when referring to the characters as their given names. Megaman is Rock's fighting persona, not his given name. Not a fan of "Mega". It sounds stupid and is a bad localization.

So when Dr. Light talks to Megaman he should call him "Rock", When Dr. Cossack first meets Megaman, he should call him "Megaman". That sort of thing would make things groove better.

That's exactly my initial goal. It is exactly this way that I would like it to be possible to play the whole classic saga. The problem is that although in some roms I'm managing to make partial changes, I still do not have full knowledge to edit all the games I suggested in the post and do the way that both you and I explained. If someone or the authors themselves could update, or reference the creators of these changes, it would obviously be fantastic in terms of improvement options for Rockman fans. Anyway, thank you very much for the constructive remarks so far guys.

Note: I just suggested the classic saga, because in the community itself there are already excellent projects for later sagas regarding improvements and adaptations in the texts (in the tests I performed in order to maintain a judicious pattern in the name, intro layout design  and title of each game). The games I refer to now are those of the Saga X and ZERO.